Reducing Combustion chamber/piston top Carbon build up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Somebody found a product that was good at reducing piston and combustion chamber build up,i think it might have been Hemi395,but i can't find his post about what he was using,can anybody help out.
Rick

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you looking for fast or over time?
Fast - there used to be (I think they still make it but not sure) Mopar and GM combustion cleaner.
Slow - the Redline will work over time - I haven't tried it doing the fast method of pouring it into the running engine.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fast - there used to be (I think they still make it but not sure) Mopar and GM combustion cleaner.
Slow - the Redline will work over time - I haven't tried it doing the fast method of pouring it into the running engine.
I don't think the SL-1 is designed for vacuum sucking in to a running engine, that would be more in the Seafoam's lane I think.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think the SL-1 is designed for vacuum sucking in to a running engine, that would be more in the Seafoam's lane I think.
I don't think it is either but who knows what people do lol.

Not a seafoam fan here, though I hear it works well on old carbed boats.

I have used the Mopar and GM combustion/top end cleaners and they work well. I actually use the mopar on my wife DI motor to clean it periodically.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The guy i'm trying to help out should see this thread as i sent him a link to it.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it is either but who knows what people do lol.

Not a seafoam fan here, though I hear it works well on old carbed boats.

I have used the Mopar and GM combustion/top end cleaners and they work well. I actually use the mopar on my wife DI motor to clean it periodically.
I haven't used it on the Ram, but Seafoam cleared up a junkyard Nissan V6 for me very well quite a while back.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It was Corey aka hemi395 who boroscped his engine but the thread is over at BITOG, lol. Look up redline si-1 boroscoped. There was at the time 3 different boroscoped piston tops and all 3 showed impressive slow cleaning. We were gonna go a thing still might at some point, I even recently bought a boro. by the third time the engine was like new, and this thing was toast. Of note for whatever reason, chris fix did not get these results with many different cleaners including techron. He tried many PEA additives, I asked him to consider trying redline, he moved on. But this was one of the three guys and that post was nefore this video, this is the follow up. Results are undeniable, I guess it shouldnt surprise us this brand is the best but for sure there is one or two million bitogers that skin boils when they hear that, lmao??

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can skip to 2 minute mark, and of note that was treatment number three. And I can say for sure if you were to do three bottles in 3 tanks, you will want to change the oil asap. In fact these days when I use redline si-1 one is right before oil changes on me and the wife's suv and never early in the oil change interval.

Elo76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys. I'm the one that Wild one is helping here. Thanks again!

I already have a bottle of SL-1 in my possession and just found some Mopar Combustion Chamber here locally at my dealership. Seems to be out of stock everywhere online.

Any tips for application? Do I just warm it up, then let it idle and just spray enough to load up and keep it from stalling until the can is gone? Then close hood and let it sit for 2-3 hours?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You can skip to 2 minute mark, and of note that was treatment number three. And I can say for sure if you were to do three bottles in 3 tanks, you will want to change the oil asap. In fact these days when I use redline si-1 one is right before oil changes on me and the wife's suv and never early in the oil change interval.
Thanks Mike,i was hoping you and Corey would join in.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I already have a bottle of SL-1 in my possession and just found some Mopar Combustion Chamber here locally at my dealership. Seems to be out of stock everywhere online.

Any tips for application? Do I just warm it up, then let it idle and just spray enough to load up and keep it from stalling until the can is gone? Then close hood and let it sit for 2-3 hours?
The Red Line is to treat in tank, so dump the bottle before your next fill up. The Mopar one looks like you're on the right track, here's a write up I found that makes sense.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Use it and do not have any second thoughts about if it works or not(redline sl-1). I just ran 3 bottles in three fill-ups back to back to back. I did not do any borescope tests or anything but I can absolutely notice a difference. The idle is absolutely stable. my MPG absolutely did increase. I will be from here on out using one bottle every 3k miles as suggested on the bottle. Wish I had a borescope to get visual on but without a doubt it cleaned up some stuff.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Next time Im in reno I bring the boro, we almost went this week, but I was off my anniversary date by 2 years, lol. I thought it was year 15 but it was 17, so we like to do reno trips every 5 years. I actually bought the boro for plumbing reasons, but good for many many things from gutters, heating ducks, to looking under buildings etc and oh yeah combustion chambers. I bought a 50 dollar one with screen, but if I'm not mistaken there are 15-20 dollar ones that you use with the phone.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
PEA was rated tops in a long ago study but the only product I can find with it is Red Line SL-1 in the ingredients label.

Even inventer Chevron changed their trade name Techron without it in the ingredients list.

I'm cynical having worked in corporate America too long. I suspect "just as good as PEA" cost reduction for same price.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
I'd like to use some of this stuff on my wife's car we just bought her, a used 2021 Toyota Highlander with 42k miles on the clock. That's a lot of miles for only 1.5 years, so I suspect (hope) they did a lot of highway driving, but I also bet they went by the 10k mile OCIs, so I thought I'd give this a try. That model has GDI + PI, so it shouldn't be too bad, but I figure a little early owner loving could do no harm.

Looks like it's best to run it through a full (?) tank of gasoline, right before an oil change? Is going 3 tanks in a row before oil change for the really bad cases? Thanks for any input you guys.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd like to use some of this stuff on my wife's car we just bought her, a used 2021 Toyota Highlander with 42k miles on the clock. That's a lot of miles for only 1.5 years, so I suspect (hope) they did a lot of highway driving, but I also bet they went by the 10k mile OCIs, so I thought I'd give this a try. That model has GDI + PI, so it shouldn't be too bad, but I figure a little early owner loving could do no harm.

Looks like it's best to run it through a full (?) tank of gasoline, right before an oil change? Is going 3 tanks in a row before oil change for the really bad cases? Thanks for any input you guys.
it says safe for gdi on sales sheet, dunno the facts on that. Can you put a catch can on her engine? That would be worth doing for sure on a gdi.