Refueling issues 2021 ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
....If you ever notice those "attendants" will try to top off your tank, i guess they think they are doing you a favor
Never had a problem with that-the attendants I use remove the nozzle after it clicks off the first time. In the northeast from Boston to D.C, 85% of the stations/convenience stores are run by Hindu families. They pool their resources and invest in this industries. It actually started about 25 years ago. Sometimes there's a language barrier but they get the basic transaction. Can't remember the last time someone tried to top off my tank-it was probably me while traveling out of state. Getting out of the truck in the wind, cold and rain so my hand can smell like that pi$$ they make us buy?....I'll pass. Fill it up with plus my good man!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
both New Jersey & Oregon have the same basic rule
the owner of the vehicle can not fill their own vehicle, because they don't know how to do it safely

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the owner of the vehicle can not fill their own vehicle, because they don't know how to do it safely

No it's because we all know people from New Jersey are too stupid to open the gas door, figure how to remove the gas cap, determine how the gas pump actually works and worst of all, fitting that pipe like thing into the hole.

I had a problem once when I was driving out of State and needed gas. After finally getting the gas cover thing open, realizing I had to turn that cap thingy to the left to remove it and even getting that hose thing into the hole, finding out how the hell to get the gas to flow into the car was a real mind buster. I'm somewhat proud of myself that it only took me about 90 minutes from start to finish.

Spiritrider1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021, 2022
Engine
3.0 eco diesel, 5.7 hemi
I also had the same issue. Had the dealer check it and the gas tank was replaced under warranty. Dealer told me it was a fairly common issue.

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I posted on page 1 that my brand new truck was having trouble at the gas pump (nozzle shutting off repeatedly). I'm a little over 2K miles now and the problem seems to have gone away based on the last couple of fills (just jinxed myself lol).

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
In Oregon if you live in the sparsely populate areas of the state you can pump your own gas, its been this way for around 3-4 years, also any where in the state you can pump your own Diesel fuel :Big Laugh: and I'm sure glad I can, I've had the so called station attendants try to put gas in a tank that's marked Diesel :favorites68:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I do recall that there was a population exception & also an Employee exception.
if they only have one employee, they don't want them to take care of the store or Kiosk & the pumps too

planman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
Alex, I'll take , "you get .75 gallon in (just enough to fill the neck) and then it clicks off every time you touch it?"
My 2021 Rebel just started doing this, this weekend. I tried 3 different stations and all the handle calisthenics one can imaging. Upon pulling the nozzle out a little, I fueled my feet! I've read the filler tube has a check valve that prevents spilling while inverted? Apparently it's stuck...
Well, the dealership replaced the filler neck and went to gas up, same problem for them, I'll ride the free rental till they get it fixed I guess.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted on page 1 that my brand new truck was having trouble at the gas pump (nozzle shutting off repeatedly). I'm a little over 2K miles now and the problem seems to have gone away based on the last couple of fills (just jinxed myself lol).
My 2018 did the same thing when brand new then started working great for about a year ..... now even worse than ever......:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hotdog26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque5.7
I started having the same issue with my 2021 takes a long time to fill the tank, pump keeps shutting off. Dealer says It is getting a new tank and vent today under warranty. 13990 miles.
I like this truck level 2 1500 ram.

planman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
Well, had it in the shop again for 8 days a couple weeks ago, got 1 fillup and it's back. The have replaced the filler neck, cleaned the venting system, and replaced the in-tank fuel pump. This is bullish---t! (2) trips 20 days total for one of the BIG 4 automakers?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We're terribly sorry to see this. We'd like to see how we can help. If you'd like some additional assistance, please send us a direct message so that we can dig into this with you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Cajun337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic Quad Cab
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Does anyone know how we as owners can prevent this fueling issue?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just a Public Service Announcement…If you fuel at Sheetz…They have a slip on cover on the nozzle assembly and on the top of it is square rubber covered metal plate. RIP THAT POS OFF before you insert it into the fill neck. If you do not, that plate will scratch up your paint above the fuel door. Ask me how I know…
I take great pleasure in ripping that plate out and dropping that rusty piece of pot metal on the ground.

As a sidenote, why in the hell does NJ still have attendants to pump gas?
We always have. A great job for high school kids. Also, our gas prices are cheaper than surrounding states.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
about 9 or 10 years ago, i was in New Jersey
The guy sitting on a chair at the fuel pumps, looked like he slept under bridges.

I had to go up to the little pay booth to pay, the cashier asked how many gallons & i simply stated that i wanted a full tank, again they asked how many gallons.
The Cashier would not give me back my ATM card, then i saw this homeless person messing with my 2009 HEMI powered Dodge Ram, i went from upset to fully irritated.
The Cashier looked at me & said, do you see that New Jersey Police Car across the street, i can call them over .
That is when i learned about that law, after that, i looked for very small Fueling Stations, where there is only one employee.

The Oregon Law is almost the same, except the attendant at the pumps wore a uniform