Regearing questions (ratio, brand, rpms etc)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
....and regretting it down the road. What do you think/recommend? Maybe there is no real difference between those two ratios?? I mean in terms of oomph off the line

I have had 3.92's in a previous truck and 4.10's in another and there was a slight difference but not as drastic a difference as a truck I had with 4.56's. The latter was too short with low profile tires. If I had 3.55's I would go for 4.10's with any sort of tall tire such as 35's but if for a street rod, 3.92's should be fine. Another option is a used but well inspected set of gears or a complete diff swap from a junkyard donor. That will not require as much mechanical skill to swap out. Setting the gear lash and torqueing the crush sleeve is rather tricky and beyond the skill of most shadetree mechanics. I recently swapped out my own clutch in my Dakota in the garage but I took it to a local diff shop to have the 4.10's put in.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
....and regretting it down the road. What do you think/recommend? Maybe there is no real difference between those two ratios?? I mean in terms of oomph off the line

Sorry. Double tap.

Last edited:

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have had 3.92's in a previous truck and 4.10's in another and there was a slight difference but not as drastic a difference as a truck I had with 4.56's. The latter was too short with low profile tires. If I had 3.55's I would go for 4.10's with any sort of tall tire such as 35's but if for a street rod, 3.92's should be fine. Another option is a used but well inspected set of gears or a complete diff swap from a junkyard donor.

I wouldn’t recommend using used gears unless they were in their original housing they were setup in. It’s too hard to setup gears to the same specs that lived their life in another housing.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I wouldn’t recommend using used gears unless they were in their original housing they were setup in. It’s too hard to setup gears to the same specs that lived their life in another housing.

Obviously not ideal but he is trying to save money. I am not sure why he is posting such high prices. There are a set of Yukon 4.56's on Randy's for $350. The older diff's gears are cheap.

https://www.randysworldwide.com/product/yg-c9-25-456/

OP
OP
T

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Th
Obviously not ideal but he is trying to save money. I am not sure why he is posting such high prices. There are a set of Yukon 4.56's on Randy's for $350. The older diff's gears are cheap.

https://www.randysworldwide.com/product/yg-c9-25-456/

Those high prices are the mopar prices. If both ratios were the same price at mopar i'd go with the 4.10 i think. How come there is such a huge difference?

I just had a look on your link. The yukon 4.11 are about 450 $. So same price as 3.92 mopar. Amy idea why the ratio is 4.11 instead of 4.10?
The price is tempting....Any experience with the Quality? Is it worse than mopar???
they are called "high Performance gears". Are there different types of gears at yukon?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Th

Those high prices are the mopar prices. If both ratios were the same price at mopar i'd go with the 4.10 i think. How come there is such a huge difference?

I just had a look on your link. The yukon 4.11 are about 450 $. So same price as 3.92 mopar. Amy idea why the ratio is 4.11 instead of 4.10?
The price is tempting....Any experience with the Quality? Is it worse than mopar???
they are called "high Performance gears". Are there different types of gears at yukon?

The price difference might be because more of the 3.92s were made than the 4.10s.

Some gear companies are off a tad like that.

Yukon gears are high quality, I’ve used them for the 1 tons in my big block K5 Blazer.

WhiTri24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You won't feel a difference between a 3.92 and a 4.10. If you do, it's power of thought. Usually anything over a .30 rise or loss, you'll feel a true difference. I've know guys that have gone (in cars) 3.27 to a 3.55 or a 3.73 to a 3.90...didn't feel any quicker and the only thing they saw was their rpms now 100-200rpms higher.

Also, if it's for towing it doesn't matter as much as if you were wanting to take it to the 1/8 or 1/4 mile track. I've seen guys swap gears, go to the track to see they messed up (like now trapping as it shifts into a gear vs being at the peak of that gear) and back to swapping gears again.

If I go with a gear swap, it'll be 3.92. But with how tall the 1st gear is in this 8 speed, not sure.

Also, most gears that are noisy are due to backlash. Some are easy and forgiving and some needs a lot more work to get the backlash right. Which most people or mechanics will not do. That's why it'll howl a little for those certain sets. If you've never done rear gears, I would let someone else do it. Or have someone walk you through it, that's done it before. I've seen good mechanics try rear gears and once done...wheels won't even turn.

for the used gears, as long as they have minor wear or low mileage, it's fine. Just get the install kit and let the shop install it. I've seen a lot of guys buy used and have zero problems.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With 4.10 and stock sized tires, at 70 MPH I'm around 1900 RPMs. I wish I would have gone 4.56 to be honest. I have G2 gears and they do not whine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You won't feel a difference between a 3.92 and a 4.10. If you do, it's power of thought. Usually anything over a .30 rise or loss, you'll feel a true difference. I've know guys that have gone (in cars) 3.27 to a 3.55 or a 3.73 to a 3.90...didn't feel any quicker and the only thing they saw was their rpms now 100-200rpms higher.

Also, if it's for towing it doesn't matter as much as if you were wanting to take it to the 1/8 or 1/4 mile track. I've seen guys swap gears, go to the track to see they messed up (like now trapping as it shifts into a gear vs being at the peak of that gear) and back to swapping gears again.

If I go with a gear swap, it'll be 3.92. But with how tall the 1st gear is in this 8 speed, not sure.

Also, most gears that are noisy are due to backlash. Some are easy and forgiving and some needs a lot more work to get the backlash right. Which most people or mechanics will not do. That's why it'll howl a little for those certain sets. If you've never done rear gears, I would let someone else do it. Or have someone walk you through it, that's done it before. I've seen good mechanics try rear gears and once done...wheels won't even turn.

for the used gears, as long as they have minor wear or low mileage, it's fine. Just get the install kit and let the shop install it. I've seen a lot of guys buy used and have zero problems.

It would be great if 3.92 vs 4.10 would not be noticeable in daily driving off the line. Reason is the price.for any reason i have the feeling those mopar gears are more reliable/better Quality. I don't know why...no reason...just so:). So....you other folks share the experience of not noticing any difference between those ratios (no 1/4 mile Racing, no offroad, 1-2 times towing a year). Only want better shifting and more torque for take off.
does the Dealer have to reprogram anything?

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Used gears sell very quick on eBay for older cars (I buy 2nd gen Camaros, keep what I need and part the rest). The problem is if whoever was doing the disassembly didn’t take a backlash reading before taking them out. Even if it is 0.002 off it can be the difference between being quiet or not.

Used gear are harder to set up as well because there already is a pattern there that your aren’t going to match.

OP
OP
T

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
With 4.10 and stock sized tires, at 70 MPH I'm around 1900 RPMs. I wish I would have gone 4.56 to be honest. I have G2 gears and they do not whine.

Is this with mds on? What tire size do u have?

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure on the MDS, I would imagine at highway speeds it would kick on a little less. I never cared for MDS as I never saw MPG improvements. I have 275/60/20 tires.

OP
OP
T

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sorry guys, i have been freaking busy the last weeks with zero time. Thx a lot for your help. I will try to decide between 3.92 ans 4.10 and then we'll see; -)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452