Regen mode and how to tell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanielB83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2016 2500 6.7L Cummins for 2 months now and it’s the 2nd time I been smelling a smell of burnt rubber. After some research most answers say it’s the truck trying to regen. I’m a 1st diesel owner btw and learning as I go. There’s is no indication on dash when truck goes into regen mode and sounds important that the truck has to cycle before turning truck off. How can I tell when truck is in regen? Doesn’t make sense to step out of truck and smelling around each time before turning it off.

I heard but know nothing about the ScanGaugeII that helps determine when the truck will need to do a regen and/or currently regen. Would this be helpful or waste of money? Is it easy to understand for diesel newbies? Thank you

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unless you have something to read the ECM for turbo and exhaust temps, you won't know if the truck is in a regen. When in regen, the turbo and DPF temps are usually in 1000°F - 1200°F range. If your towing, it's possible that the DPF will stay hot enough that it doesn't need to do an active regen. Unless you get a warning on the EVIC that the DPF is above 80% full, drive as normal. If you regularly get the truck up to operating temps and drive on the freeway for a good half hour non-stop you probably won't have any regen issues.
Since your a new to diesels, it's a good idea to idle the truck to cool the turbo off if you've been towing or driving it hard.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use an app called Torque Pro and set up a PID to monitor When a Regen will trigger. It's set up as a gauge and when it hit's 100% a regen will begin. I can also see the EGT's go up as well and have a indicator that comes one to say it is regening.
I like to do this so I don't shut the truck down mid regen. It will pick back up next time you start it but I prefer to just let it finish if I can. Your truck will regen about every ~900 miles give or take.

Screenshot_2018-08-31-08-39-17.png

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What PIDs do you use to get the info?

The DPF Status is: (note: You can change the short name in the formula to get it to say what you want on the gauge. I changed status from that picture to DPF % now)

PID: 018B
Long Name: DPF Capacity
Short Name: DPF %
Minimum value: 0
Maximum value: 100
Scale Factor: 1x
Unit Type: %
Equation: (C*100)/255

Regen: (the switch that turns green when a regen starts)

Long Name: Regen Status
Short Name: Regen
Maximum value: 2
Unit Type: none
Equation: BIT(B:0)

The "active regen" button I have I have not seen work but I believe that will turn green when you get one of those regen messages on your dash that say's the DPF is full etc. I have not had one so can't verify.

That one is:
Long Name: Regen Type
Short Name: Forced Regen
Equation: BIT(B:1)

Here is another one that I have on another page that shows how many miles between regens.

Long Name: DPF Regen AVGD MI
Short Name: DPF AVGD
Maximum value: 65535.0
Unit Type: KM
Equation: ((F*256)+G)*0.621

The EGT gauges are already built into Torque pro so I just selected them from the list. EGTB1S3 is the sensor at the DPF (I believe?) it's the one that you will see rise to 1000 degrees when in a regen.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions let me know.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The EGT gauges are already built into Torque pro so I just selected them from the list. EGTB1S3 is the sensor at the DPF (I believe?) it's the one that you will see rise to 1000 degrees when in a regen.
I'll second the belief that EGTB1S3(also refered to as pre-SCR) is after the DPF. The EGTB1S1 should be the pre-turbo temp, EGTB1S2 is the post-turbo(also know as pre-DOC).
EGTB1S1 is a good one to watch also for turbo cool down before shutting down the engine.

Sean Kinslow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Good evening mtnrider, If I might ask. Which OBD link are you using with the torque pro? I just brought home my 2019 tradesman 3500 quad cab dually with the HO 6.7 and Aisin transmission and I want to keep on top of the important stuff.

Last edited:

Eddy Connelly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you mtnrider for this great info! I was wondering if you could maybe help adjust the Equation for the Regen Distance to Miles?

The DPF Status is: (note: You can change the short name in the formula to get it to say what you want on the gauge. I changed status from that picture to DPF % now)

The "active regen" button I have I have not seen work but I believe that will turn green when you get one of those regen messages on your dash that say's the DPF is full etc. I have not had one so can't verify.

That one is:

Here is another one that I have on another page that shows how many miles between regens.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you mtnrider for this great info! I was wondering if you could maybe help adjust the Equation for the Regen Distance to Miles?

Let me look at mine tomorrow. Can't remember what I did? Kind of depends if you have the app set for KM or Miles and what conversion the PID is doing. I think if the PID is putting out KM and the app is set to miles it will convert it correctly but let me check?

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
**** i bought a used 2014 cummins and i have had it go into regen mode a few times, and if i shut the truck down and restart it it will keep doing it until it finishes. i thought the truck was ****** but im relieved to read this, now i know if i notice a lack of power to just keeop driving the truck until it finishes.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
An Edge CTS 2 or 3 will tell you when a regen is happening.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've only had my 2017 CTD truck since June 2019 and only driven it just over 11k miles so far. Is it possible it hasn't done a re-gen in this time?
I've never noticed anything unusual or smelled anything different.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've only had my 2017 CTD truck since June 2019 and only driven it just over 11k miles so far. Is it possible it hasn't done a re-gen in this time?
I've never noticed anything unusual or smelled anything different.

It probably has, you just haven't noticed it.... And most people don't. If you stopped in the middle of a regen you would probably smell it on the passenger side of the truck. If the regen happens while you are driving it's likely you will never notice.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
An Edge CTS2 or CTS3 will show when the truck is in regen.

Kroni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you using an Apple phone with this app? I have been searching for torque pro and not getting anything that looks like what you posted. BTW, I’m new to diesel trucks as well and thank you for you help.

I use an app called Torque Pro and set up a PID to monitor When a Regen will trigger. It's set up as a gauge and when it hit's 100% a regen will begin. I can also see the EGT's go up as well and have a indicator that comes one to say it is regening.
I like to do this so I don't shut the truck down mid regen. It will pick back up next time you start it but I prefer to just let it finish if I can. Your truck will regen about every ~900 miles give or take.

View attachment 160600

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Are you using an Apple phone with this app? I have been searching for torque pro and not getting anything that looks like what you posted. BTW, I’m new to diesel trucks as well and thank you for you help.

No, I'm an Android guy. I don't think there are a lot of these type apps for apple unfortunately. Android on the other hand has torque Pro and AlfaOBD 2 of the best apps for these trucks. Maybe worth investing in a cheap android tablet?

Bones313kids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That one is:

Hi mtnrider,
I have entered all the above information into my torque pro app and the gauges are all up and it looks good but the gauges are not registering..... I do have an rpm gauge up just to make sure the truck is connected and it works great but all my dpf information that I was wanting is not working. Any ideas would be much appreciated

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi mtnrider,
I have entered all the above information into my torque pro app and the gauges are all up and it looks good but the gauges are not registering..... I do have an rpm gauge up just to make sure the truck is connected and it works great but all my dpf information that I was wanting is not working. Any ideas would be much appreciated

That PID is working on a 6.7 cummins so not sure if it will work on anything else? (your sig looks like you have a 3.0 eco?). It should work though from what I remember reading.

Couple things to try though. Try making the PID a lower case letter at the end and see that helps. So 018b instead of 018B. (don't think that is the issue but try)

If that doesn't do it make sure the * symbol in the equation is a multiply symbol. I've had issues with that on some keyboards. It looks like an asterisk but depending on the keyboard I've had it interpret it differently a few times.