Regen mode and how to tell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought an OBDlink MX2 to use with alphaODB. Decided to load the ODBlink app on my Android and with it I can see what the DPF regen % is, average time between regens, and average miles between regens. I have not been watchign it that lon as I am new the the diesel world also. I will say the Ram and the DPF regen % is not nearly as linear as my Kubota tractor. When it hits 100% though it does regen and there is an indicator for that also in the ODBlink app.

Bones313kids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi mtnrider, so I tried your suggestions and they worked on my ecodiesel. Thanks so much! It was killing me to know what the dpf percentage was sittng at and it is nice to know how much it accumulates just from my in town driving. Thanks again

Bones313kids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, first off I want to thank the other members of the forum for all their advice when it comes to figuring out the regen process of the Ecodiesel. It has definitely been a learning curve but I now feel better about the entire process and how it works. Don’t get me wrong, I wish the regen process was not on the truck at all but such is life! The Torque app has been a life saver for me, as far as I am concerned Dodge really missed the mark on this and the information regarding when the truck is going into regen mode, the DPF temp, the DPF levels should have all been made available on the dash information. The Torque app lets me see all of this so now I can plan my regen around my schedule. Normally a regen process would not be as big of a deal but with covid and all, I find myself making several short trips to work then home so the DPF capacity fills up fairly quick. Watching my Torque app, I can now start a regen any time after it hits 65%. Ideally it would be better to make it out to the highway but I have don’t several regens in town. I pick a path where there are minimal stops (regen still keeps going even if you stop at a stoplight for 30 seconds) and if I am in a 50 km zone, I shift to 4th gear and keep the rpms around the 2000 mark and the truck seems to be happy and completes its regen process in about 6 to 8 kms. The levels never drop to 0 %, the lowest I have seen it drop to after a regen is 9.4%. This entire regen process was killing me as the one time it came up on the dash it said “ DPR 80% full, get out to highway”, WTF, so many questions popped into my head and I had to figure this out. My biggest wonder was how long does it take to fill it up, I now know more with the Torque app, I make several short trips, about 8kms trips and I can now see that each trip fills my DPF Capacity up by 3% so I go home for lunches as well so I make minimum 4 trips a day so if I just go from work to home I fill up minimum 12% a day but with colder temps right now and warming the truck up, I would say I am all of 20% a day. I hope this helps someone else with figuring out the regen process, this has been my experience with it and I wanted to pass it along.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I use a simple method. I just toggle over in the cluster to the DPF screen to keep an eye on the percent, 0 - 100. If it's up at or above 50, I'll head down the highway to Granny's Restaurant in Why, Arizona for breakfast

Last edited: