Regen Regen Regen, Excessive Regen. Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malonerory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Ram with a 6.7. In January of this year CP4 went out, 1-month at the dealer before they replaced the entire fuel system and put in a cp3. Since this work the truck is performing a regen every 50-100 miles. I can hear the difference in the motor when it regens and the DPF monitor in the cluster says it is in automatic regen. Prior to the CP4 blowing up regen was around 1200-1500 miles or around 20-24 hours. Truck is not used as a car, I tow often and drive mostly on freeways. Since March the truck has been at the dealer 6 times for this issue. Each time for 2-3 weeks. Here is what they have replaced: EGR Valve, Throttle Valve, EGR Cooler, DPF (twice), SCR, Delta Pressure Sensor & Ports inspected and cleaned. Since the issue was caused by the recall FCA's STAR department is involved and it takes forever for them to get back to my local dealer.

Here is my questions, has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was done to fix this?

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What fuel are you using, the ultra low sulfur? What did they flash the ECM and PCM with?

OP
OP
M

malonerory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel fuel, different stations all over northern Utah. Forgot to mention the PCM/ECM/TCM/BCM were updated for the new CP3. Two visits ago the updated flash was removed to try to fix the problem

Gommer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500, 2018 2500
Engine
5.7 and 6.7
Dang, with a repair list like that they'd have been better off giving you a brand new rig.

OP
OP
M

malonerory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would think. Service advisor at the dealer is very cool, he told me he would reach out to the star department to get the 3 next steps so it is not sitting. I know I cant be the only one having this problem

Gary Hogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So my 2019 3500 6.7 was having the frequent regen issues before getting the cp4 replaced with the cp3. It’s in the dealer service department now with the same issue. Service manager said he will get with the Chrysler engineers to see what they recommend. Don’t know about you but I’m sick of this.

sneakocom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 CUMMINS HO TURBO DIESEL
Service manager said he will get with the Chrysler engineers

Hi all. I'm a first timer on these forums and am grateful for the efficient search feature so I don't double post!

Summary: Dealer spent 2 days talking with Chrysler engineers who admitted that regen frequency is a known issue and they don't yet have a solution but are "actively" working on one.

Details: I have a 2020 3500 6.7 with identical issues and 37k miles: 6 trips to the dealer, replaced DPF (first one was cracked) & multiple sensors, 6 x manual regens, removed/cleaned/lubed all emissions parts & sensors.

Prior to the CP3 I only had the truck for two months with a cracked DPF so am unaware if there was a regen issue as I never saw a regen notice, nor the DPF gauge increasing. With the new DPF, and CP3, it runs an auto regen every 100-120 miles and takes 28-32 minutes to finish so it runs every 1.5-2 hours of drive time. I'm at higher altitude (8000-9000 ft) in the mountains of Colorado and always wondered if that was the reason but the dealers claim it's irrelevant (although I still feel it has something to do with it). Curious if others are at higher altitudes?

I went to the dealer two weeks ago because the check engine light came on with P2459 Diesel Particular Filter Regeneration Frequency (9th check engine light related to the DPF since May!). They didn't find anything wrong with it, however, they spent 2 days talking with Chrysler engineers who admitted that this is a known issue and they don't yet have a solution.

With all that being said, I noticed when cruising at 65-70 my RPMs are 1600-1700. I've been running a test and dropping to 5th gear when at speed to increase RPMs into the 2000s hoping it makes for a more efficient regen but so far no noticeable change.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hi all. I'm a first timer on these forums and am grateful for the efficient search feature so I don't double post!

Summary: Dealer spent 2 days talking with Chrysler engineers who admitted that regen frequency is a known issue and they don't yet have a solution but are "actively" working on one.

Details: I have a 2020 3500 6.7 with identical issues and 37k miles: 6 trips to the dealer, replaced DPF (first one was cracked) & multiple sensors, 6 x manual regens, removed/cleaned/lubed all emissions parts & sensors.

Prior to the CP3 I only had the truck for two months with a cracked DPF so am unaware if there was a regen issue as I never saw a regen notice, nor the DPF gauge increasing. With the new DPF, and CP3, it runs an auto regen every 100-120 miles and takes 28-32 minutes to finish so it runs every 1.5-2 hours of drive time. I'm at higher altitude (8000-9000 ft) in the mountains of Colorado and always wondered if that was the reason but the dealers claim it's irrelevant (although I still feel it has something to do with it). Curious if others are at higher altitudes?

I went to the dealer two weeks ago because the check engine light came on with P2459 Diesel Particular Filter Regeneration Frequency (9th check engine light related to the DPF since May!). They didn't find anything wrong with it, however, they spent 2 days talking with Chrysler engineers who admitted that this is a known issue and they don't yet have a solution.

With all that being said, I noticed when cruising at 65-70 my RPMs are 1600-1700. I've been running a test and dropping to 5th gear when at speed to increase RPMs into the 2000s hoping it makes for a more efficient regen but so far no noticeable change.

I have run my engine between 1500 & 2100 RPM during regens, never noticed much of a difference in how long it took to do a regen, depending how I feel keep RPM's between 1500 & 1700, on average once I hear/notice its in regen it takes between 15-20 minutes to do complete regen, the max time for regen was 25 minutes....

sneakocom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Regen lasted 30 miles today when the DPF gauge was at 30%. As soon as regen started the check engine light kicked on again with P2459 (Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency).

The "most likely fix" to the error is "Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve and Clean All EGR Ports".

Gary Hogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Gary Hogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sneakocom, I’m in Texas, alititude less than a thousand feet so that’s probably not a contributing factor. I’m calling the shop foreman every day to keep pressure but I’m ready to escalate. I’m just not sure who to call.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sneakocom, I’m in Texas, alititude less than a thousand feet so that’s probably not a contributing factor. I’m calling the shop foreman every day to keep pressure but I’m ready to escalate. I’m just not sure who to call.
If you have not already done do reach out to Ram Cares here on the forum to see if they can help out...

sneakocom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropped truck off a week ago and told them do what they need to fix it over the next 3 weeks while I’m out of town. They discovered a tech-to-tech bulletin that mentioned there are two tmaps, one from Germany and one from China. The German one is apparently faulty and doesn’t work properly. The bulletin said to switch to Chinese and it’ll fix the issue.

I’ll update in 1.5 weeks when I get back into town whether that fixes my issue.

sneakocom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for the delay. My trucks been running fine since they last worked on it. Here's the consensus:
1) "Found intake system leakage from intake heater grid positive stud, removed & replaced heater grid and heater grid base gaskets"
2) "Found tech thread to replace MAF sensor with different part number"

The MAF sensor is the one that was German that needed to be replaced with one from China (the person that told me the other sensor was incorrect).

The check engine light returned 30 minutes after picking it up but only for "injector timing" -- a few days later it turned off and never returned (a month later). The truck regens and drives as expected now with no issues *knock on wood*.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What recall exactly caused this? The fuel pump recall?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sorry for the delay. My trucks been running fine since they last worked on it. Here's the consensus:
1) "Found intake system leakage from intake heater grid positive stud, removed & replaced heater grid and heater grid base gaskets"
2) "Found tech thread to replace MAF sensor with different part number"

The MAF sensor is the one that was German that needed to be replaced with one from China (the person that told me the other sensor was incorrect).

The check engine light returned 30 minutes after picking it up but only for "injector timing" -- a few days later it turned off and never returned (a month later). The truck regens and drives as expected now with no issues *knock on wood*.
I have read about lots of MAF from Germany not being all that good and to my surprise the one made in China is much better o_O you would think the tech would be up to date about this but who knows now days...

Mark_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO Cummins
hey - I am getting regens every 100-200 miles. I am at 5000 ft in reno. I got the BS story on factory filters. (Did not change anything). I have short commutes in winter when not pulling. I'm pissed and nothing dealer will do. They will do a forced regen and take your money. I have been researching and saw some posts on additives that help a lot for this issue. Trying to validate their assertions. I have seen some decent posts saying these engine systems with the DEF just cannot handle idling nor short trips. They want to run on the highway. My current path includes: 1 ) possible use of additives 2) get a beater car for daily rolls. Maybe they built this service code in as a subscription cost to own? Ok unlikely - but same outcome.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Anyone with frequent regens should read this thread and look out for diesel fuel diluting the engine oil.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
hey - I am getting regens every 100-200 miles. I am at 5000 ft in reno. I got the BS story on factory filters. (Did not change anything). I have short commutes in winter when not pulling. I'm pissed and nothing dealer will do. They will do a forced regen and take your money. I have been researching and saw some posts on additives that help a lot for this issue. Trying to validate their assertions. I have seen some decent posts saying these engine systems with the DEF just cannot handle idling nor short trips. They want to run on the highway. My current path includes: 1 ) possible use of additives 2) get a beater car for daily rolls. Maybe they built this service code in as a subscription cost to own? Ok unlikely - but same outcome.
Well how short is your idea of short drive? And yes very short drives in cold temps are not good you need to get it out on the Hwy once a week for a good 30 or more miles drive to heat up the exhaust system or do liker I've done an put 1000 lbs in the bed to help make the engine work a bit harder.. And yes air filters that had the pleats glued have been known to caused some problems on 2019 newer engines. Also what codes are coming up? As for additive ya need to be careful if your under warranty and depending on how short of a daily drive you have it may be a good idea to get a beater to drive...