Regular Cab 3" Rear Lowering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'd like to lower only the rear of my 2018 1500 Express regular cab about 3 inches. I'm concerned about giving up the ride quality. I see quite a few lowering kits available and know that the drop they quote is realistic for a quad cab because of the extra weight involved but wouldn't be accurate for a regular cab.

Has anyone successfully done a 3" reg cab rear only drop that they were happy with both ride and height ? What did you use for springs, shocks, adj pan-hard bar, relocation bracket?

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do you want a 3" rear drop? Wouldn't that make your rear end a little lower than your front end? Just curious.
I have a Ground Force 2" rear drop kit on my 2016 Ram Sport 4X4 rcsb truck and it is a true 2" drop. Truck sits level and looks ballsy! Ride quality has not suffered at all. If anything, the truck feels more grounded, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Why do you want a 3" rear drop? Wouldn't that make your rear end a little lower than your front end? Just curious.
I have a Ground Force 2" rear drop kit on my 2016 Ram Sport 4X4 rcsb truck and it is a true 2" drop. Truck sits level and looks ballsy! Ride quality has not suffered at all. If anything, the truck feels more grounded, if that makes sense.

Good question, no I wouldn't want the rear lower. I measured the front and it's 35 1/2" and the rear is 38 1/2" so I thought I might need to make it level by taking the 3" out of the rear. A 2" drop with a good ride sounds good to me.

I looked at both GF and Crown and both listed up to 2017 so I'll have to call Monday. GF came with shocks and Crown was just springs, do you need an adjustable bar or a bracket change to center the axle?

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
I have a set of Crown Suspension 2" lowering springs and a set of Ground Force Shocks that I took off My 2015 RCSB Express. If You are interested, I will make a for sale thread to be all proper about it. :Big Laugh:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good question, no I wouldn't want the rear lower. I measured the front and it's 35 1/2" and the rear is 38 1/2" so I thought I might need to make it level by taking the 3" out of the rear. A 2" drop with a good ride sounds good to me.
I looked at both GF and Crown and both listed up to 2017 so I'll have to call Monday. GF came with shocks and Crown was just springs, do you need an adjustable bar or a bracket change to center the axle?

I have the Ground Force kit which is coils and shocks. I would get the kit as opposed to just coils. My truck is level now and looks killer.
(Crappy photos as these were taken early in the morning before work and the truck was dirty, but you get the idea. Order from Nick@Gotexhaust. I got mine from there.)

061326.jpg

061347.jpg

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That does look EXCELLENT!!! That is the look I'm going for so I'll call Ground Force on Monday to double ck the fit for an '18 and ask about the need for a bar or bracket.

THANKS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That does look EXCELLENT!!! That is the look I'm going for so I'll call Ground Force on Monday to double ck the fit for an '18 and ask about the need for a bar or bracket.

THANKS
You're welcome!
Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You're welcome!
Good luck and keep us posted.

Spoke with Dan at Ground Force and yes a 2018 is absolutely the same suspension just like
" GARY'S HEMI" advised me. Dan said they put a lot of effort into the shock valving and they get reports that the trucks with this set up do ride better that OEM. No relocation brackets or bar required :)

Thanks everyone

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spoke with Dan at Ground Force and yes a 2018 is absolutely the same suspension just like
" GARY'S HEMI" advised me. Dan said they put a lot of effort into the shock valving and they get reports that the trucks with this set up do ride better that OEM. No relocation brackets or bar required :)

Thanks everyone
Awesome man!!
I'm very happy with mine. Rides awesome and looks killer.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I went with a 2"/4" lowering kit from McGaughys for my 17 Ram regular cab. A very complete kit, includes everything needed less the shocks. Was told by McGaughys to use the factory shocks if I wanted the ride to be as stock as possible and yes it fits the 17 and 18 Ram. The ride is real good and no rubbing with the stock tires and wheels. I purchased mine on Summit Racing, they had the best delivered price at the time. Here is a link to check it out and a pic of my truck with the kit installed.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mmc-44051

thumbnail_IMG_1509.jpg

mmc-44051_xl.jpg