Relay and Fuel pump bad at the same time?

ShldveKeptTheFord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well this is a fun first post here. My truck is a 2014 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4l Hemi. A few weeks ago I was having trouble starting it, it had the crank no start issue going on. I read up on forums and watched on Youtube about the fuel pump relay going bad, So the next morning it wouldn't start I tried heating up the fuse box a bit with a heat gun and it started right up and I drove it all day. That day I went to autozone and got the wires and fuses to make a bypass wire for the fuel pump relay and installed it and everything was good, I made sure I used the jumper wire to test and see if I could hear the fuel pump turn on and I could. This last week I again had the crank no start issue but I opened the hood and just wiggled the jumper wire and then the truck would start right up. Yesterday and today I can not get the truck to start. I tried wiggling the wire, making a new jumper wire, testing the fuses on the jumper wire, smacking the fuel tank with a mallet, and I cannot get the fuel pump to turn on. Ive tried searching forums and I haven't read anything about the relay and the fuel pump going bad at the same time, So is there anything else I'm missing or that I can check before I order a new fuel pump? I already ordered a new TIPM from TIPMrebuilders before this issue started this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For sure a short in anything can foul a part like a fuel pump, in fact it is likely. So yes if the short is in TIPM it is very possible that a fuel pump will burn out and keep burning out until you fix the short. I had this happen once with a transfer case, had to replace it three times before we found out the short was killing the part.

So question, did you use a cig lighter relay to bypass the fuel pump? Because that replay only gets hot with the key, exactly what you need.

Have to ran codes?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So you cannot get fuel pump to turn on? Did you bypass it to a relay that allows to much amperage through?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The pump probably gave up the ghost, I would inspect the plug at the fuel pump also as those can go bad causing the pump failure.

ShldveKeptTheFord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For sure a short in anything can foul a part like a fuel pump, in fact it is likely. So yes if the short is in TIPM it is very possible that a fuel pump will burn out and keep burning out until you fix the short. I had this happen once with a transfer case, had to replace it three times before we found out the short was killing the part.

So question, did you use a cig lighter relay to bypass the fuel pump? Because that replay only gets hot with the key, exactly what you need.

Have to ran codes?

yes I used the cig lighter with the position thats on with the key, and I tested it with the position thats always on. The only code I had was for an O2 sensor that I think is from an exhaust leak.

ShldveKeptTheFord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The pump probably gave up the ghost, I would inspect the plug at the fuel pump also as those can go bad causing the pump failure.
I used my test light on it once I got it disconnected and it had power to it, so fuel pump it is I guess. It just seemed odd to me for the relay and the pump to both go bad within less than two weeks.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You said Tradesman ....does your tk have a key? (switch). Those switches could be a common source of issues.

Have you wiggled the column shifter or put in N (in case it thinks it's in gear)?

Elvira

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Reg Cab Short Box
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, not an uncommon occurance to have them both fail. Usually one will cause the other to fault.