Reloading/Refreshing the Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is Reloading/Refreshing the Tune a "Thing"?

The reason that I ask is because lately, my 2013 Perf Pac V6 Mustang has felt a little less snappy, and quick. It was still fast, but just not violent, loud, scary like it used to. Uh, maybe 95% of what it should be.

The guys at Forza Performance suggested that I reload the tune, which I did.

Reloading did the trick. I'm always leery of the "Placebo Effect". But one thing I can count on as an accurate measuring stick, is the MPG ometer in that car. The MPGs are back up where they should be.

I know the Mustang has Adaptive Driving BS. I don't think the truck has. But from what I've learned, Tunes get "Lazy".

Have you ever Refreshed your Tune? Have you noticed and improvement?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just LOG your tune and send it off to whoever did your custom tune for adjustments.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

The reason that I ask is because lately, my 2013 Perf Pac V6 Mustang has felt a little less snappy, and quick. It was still fast, but just not violent, loud, scary like it used to. Uh, maybe 95% of what it should be.

Reloading did the trick. I'm always leery of the "Placebo Effect". But one thing I can count on as an accurate measuring stick, is the MPG ometer in that car. The MPGs are back up where they should be.

I know the Mustang has Adaptive Driving BS. I don't think the truck has. But from what I've learned, Tunes get "Lazy".

with my 06 ram hemi I refreshed the tune (SCT) twice a year because of different tire sizes winter/summer.
and every time I reloaded it I noticed that it seemed to be really on point! Like you said it picked back up that little bit of neck snapping performance that goes away with time.
I think that the adaptives are always working to bring the tune back to what it thinks is good for it.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dil, I agree with what you asserted regarding data logging. But! When you then reload your tune, after your tuner Person has worked their magic, how much of the improvements you experience, are the result of just the Tune being Reloaded?

And in turn, how much is from the adjustments that your tuner Person made?

If I would have sent my data log to my tuner Person, and He made some very minor tweaks to the Tune, then I reloaded MY Tune, I would have thought he was a Miracle Worker. When in actuality, my Tune, over time, just got lazy. How often have other drivers experienced the same thing?

These kind of “arguments “ go on in my head all the time. Lol Like John Melloncamp once said: Nothing matters, and what if it did?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

In my opinion the only way reloading the tune would have any effect on performance would be if the tune was somehow corrupted or there was something else causing the engine to run poorly and the adaptive's were so messed up that flashing the PCM reset the adaptive memory and the engine began to run better.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I had an issue with my tune as far as WOT shift points with the 65FRE set at 6500.
It would shift as set by tune when 1st flashed but eventually start shifting early around 4500 & 5000.
A reflash would correct.
Hemifever blamed it on the CircleD convertor.
Greene said it was the BCM gear ratio not set for correct gear because it all started when I changed out the gear from 3.55 to 4.56
Jay was correct about it being at 3.55 but changing to 4.56 did not solve the issue.
Matt Glad @ Petty's Garage solved by installing latest drag tune for 65RFE.
Have no idea what was different that made it hold WOT shift points.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since I had such good luck reloading the Tune in the Mustang, I decided to try it in the truck. I have the small Diablo handheld device. I followed the prompts, but in the end, the handheld device said it had failed.

I run a 91 Hemifever tune, and that's what I want to reload. I thought maybe, I should load the 89 tune first then go back and try loading the 91. Any suggestions on what I might try would be appreciated.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Since I had such good luck reloading the Tune in the Mustang, I decided to try it in the truck. I have the small Diablo handheld device. I followed the prompts, but in the end, the handheld device said it had failed.

I run a 91 Hemifever tune, and that's what I want to reload. I thought maybe, I should load the 89 tune first then go back and try loading the 91. Any suggestions on what I might try would be appreciated.
Did you receive an error code or anything else besides failed?

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t remember there being an error code.It simply said some thing to the effect of failed