Remote Keyless Entry Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

french69ssrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummings
Hi All
I have a 2006 Ram 2500 Cummins Crew Cab, Love it, Just Had to have the Transmission Rebuilt at 156,000 miles.

last Fall, the Keyless Remote System Stopped working, From Inside the Cab, All Work Great. Just the 2 Key Fob's, as Both Stopped working the Same Day.
Got Ne Batteries and Replaced them - Nope, Still Do Not Work.

So I saw a Video where they show you the Remote Keyless Entry Module on the Back of the Instrument Cluster as Being the Problem, Replace it and it's Fixed !

So Today, I watched a few Videos, Removed the Instrument Cluster and No Remote Keyless Entry Module ??

Any Ideas as to What Controls or Feeds this System ? Is there a Fuse for the Keyless Remote Entry Module ?
Pic of the Front and Back of my Instrument Cluster

Thanks
Timmy from Trumbull, CT2006 Ram Cluster Back.JPG 2006 Ram Cluster Front.JPG

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know anything about that, but I know the key fobs go to crap after a while and need to be replaced. My original keys started intermittently working and not about 6ish years ago so they lasted around 7 years, then I would have to smack them around to get them to work and sometimes even then they wouldn't work. The fobs are spendy and at the time I was on a tight budget so I figured has to be a loose wire so I opened the fob up and got my soldering gun out, couldn't find a single thing that looked bad. My wife ended up saying get new keys now when we were locked out at the beach in the rain lol. Anyway, I paid the 300 whatever for 2 keys and never had a issue since.
Maybe yours is something else, just saying what I went through with mine and getting new key fobs from dodge did fix the problem for my 07

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

french69ssrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummings
Hey Ramportin1
Thanks for Looking at my Issue, The Only Reason I Didn't feel it was a Key Fob Issue as Both Keys Stopped the Same Time, and 1 was Not Used, Like at all.
Timmy

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You shouldn't have had RKE at all without that module being there UNLESS you have an aftermarket system installed and don't realize it. What do your fobs look like? Was your truck built with RKE (look on build sheet or only has one keyhole in driver's door)?

OP
OP
F

french69ssrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummings
So First, I Bought this Truck like Oct 2018, Keyless Entry Worked Perfect, and I have Only the Drivers Door Key Lock on that Door, Passengers Side Has No Key Hole.

The Remotes Both Worked Perfectly till like Early December ?

So I took the Cluster Out Today to See where the Control Module was, I Have a few Videos of Removing the Module, There is No "Pin Block" For a Module to Hook into.

s-l1600.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So First, I Bought this Truck like Oct 2018, Keyless Entry Worked Perfect, and I have Only the Drivers Door Key Lock on that Door, Passengers Side Has No Key Hole.

The Remotes Both Worked Perfectly till like Early December ?

So I took the Cluster Out Today to See where the Control Module was, I Have a few Videos of Removing the Module, There is No "Pin Block" For a Module to Hook into.
Ok, so other than telling me that only the driver's door has a keyhole, you've basically repeated EVERYTHING you said the first time. God please stop referencing youtube videos...
Unfortunately the FCA build sheet site is down again or I'd have you go there to confirm it. As of right now, I can only come up with two theories:
1. Your cluster got mucked with (was it worked on or at a shop right about the time the fobs quit working?)
2. You have an aftermarket system that is able to use the OEM fobs (these do exist)
Build sheet would confirm whether you are supposed to have RKE or not (possibly if you still have the option sticker inside the glovebox). 2006 you SHOULD have factory RKE, have yet to see an 06 Mopar ANYTHING that didn't. If your cluster wasn't messed with, you definitely have an aftermarket setup in there somewhere (see page below from factory service manual).

p2188.jpg

OP
OP
F

french69ssrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummings
At the Risk of Repeating myself,
I Looked at the Glove Box and Did Not See an "Option Sticker"

I Did Find Vindecoderz and Entered my VIN #

Came Back with - RKE "Remote Keyless Entry" as One of the Options.

And NO, Was Not at a Shop for Any Work when it Stopped Working.

VINDECODERZ

✅3D7KS28C16G124060 Dodge RAM pickup heavy duty 4x4 2006 VIN Decoder & Vehicle History Report

Dodge RAM pickup heavy duty 4x4 2006 VIN Lookup Result:
RAM.jpg

VIN:
3D7KS28C16G124060
WMI / VDS / VIS:
3D7 KS28C1 6G124060
Manufacturer:
DODGE.png
Dodge Chrysler Mexico

BodyModel DH7H41
Engine 5.9L HO Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine (ETH)
Transmission 4-Spd. Automatic 48RE Transmission (DG8)
Date 2005-08-05
Saless *M9: Prem Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat; -D5: Med Slate Gray; 132: Zone 32-New York; 1AA: U.S. Dealer Retail; 2TG: Customer Preferred Package 2TG; 2UG: Customer Preferred Package 2UG; 39J: Thunder Road Value Group Discount; 42E: Price Allowance - Canada; 4KZ: 4X4 Tracking; 4SP: Supplemental NY Consumer Protection; 594: Vehicle Order Tracking; 5B3: Cargo Box Tracking; 5I4: Four Wheel Drive (4WD)/(4X4); 5IF: DH-Vehicle Family; 5P6: Change Equipment; 5ZE: 6 1/2 FT. Cargo Box; 5ZK: Quad Cab; 5ZM: 2500 GVW; 633: New York State ; 6FD: Paint Order ; 6US: Label - U.S. Specifications; 933: New York State ; A76: 5.9L TD Eng(ETH)/4Spd A/T 48RE (DG8); ADA: Light Group; AF3: Quad Cab Thunder Road Value Group; AHC: Trailer Tow Group; AHD: Heavy Duty Snow Plow Prep Group; APA: Monotone Paint; BAZ: 136 Amp Alternator; BCQ: 750 Amp Maintenance Free Battery; BRT: Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes; CBE: 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat; CG1: Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags**; CGD: Front Height Adjust Shoulder Belts; CKE: Front Seat Area Carpet; CLE: Front & Rear Floor Mats; CSP: Passenger Assist Handle; CSX: Rear 60/40 Split Folding Seat; CUE: Rear Underseat Compartment Storage; ***: Mini Floor Console; CUS: Overhead Console w/Trip Computer; CVH: Front Center Seat Cushion Storage; DG8: 4-Spd. Automatic 48RE Transmission; DGB: All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions; DH1: Man Shift-on-the-Fly Transfer Case; DHA: Lock-Up Torque Converter; DJQ: 9.25 Front Axle; DME: 3.73 Axle Ratio; DRQ: 11.50 Rear Axle; DSA: Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle; ETH: 5.9L HO Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine; GAC: Tinted Glass Windows; GFD: Rear Sliding Window; GNC: Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors; GNK: Rear View Auto Dim Mirror; GNM: Right Sun Visor w/Mirror; GPG: Power Trailer Tow Mirrors, Fold-Away; GVB: All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors; GXM: Remote Keyless Entry; GXX: Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System; HAA: Air Conditioning; HGB: Dash Liner Insulation; HGF: Floor Tunnel Insulation; JAY: Instrument Cluster w/Tach; JBY: Instr. Panel Color Keyed Bezel; JCB: 120 MPH Primary Speedometer; JHA: Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers; JJA: Cigar Lighter; JJB: Dual Note Electric Horns; JJJ: 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet; JPB: Power Locks; JPD: Power Windows, Driver One-Touch; JRD: Power Driver Seat; JTH: Power 6-Way Driver Seat; K17: STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING; K1X: STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR; LBC: Glove Box Lamp; LBD: Ash Tray Lamp; LCL: Front Dome w/On/Off Switch Lamp; LDA: Underhood Lamp; LMA: Halogen Headlamps; LNC: Clearance Lamps; LNJ: Fog Lamps; LPE: Cargo Lamp; MBF: Bright Rear Bumper; MCM: Body Color Upper Fascia; MCT: Bright Front Bumper; MDA: Front License Plate Bracket; MFD: Bright Grille; MGA: Ram's Head Badge; MHA: Black Windshield Moldings; MTD: SLT Badge; MUS: 4X4 Badge; MWD: Removable Tailgate w/Caliper Latches; MXB: Front Air Dam; NAE: California Emissions; NFU: 34 Gallon Polyethylene Fuel Tank; NHB: Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler; NHK: Engine Block Heater; NHM: Speed Control; NHN: Electronically Controlled Throttle; NMC: Heavy Duty Engine Cooling; NZC: Current Generation Eng Controller; PS2: Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat; QS2: Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat; RAA: All Radio Equipped Vehicles; RCD: 4 Speakers; RDD: Fixed Long Mast Antenna; REF: AM/FM Compact Disc Radio w/Chgr Ctrl; SBE: Power Steering; SCV: Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel; SFB: Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers; SGB: Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers; SHA: Front Stabilizer Bar; SUA: Tilt Steering Column; TBB: Full Size Spare Tire; TBM: Tire Carrier Winch; TT5: LT265/70R17E OWL On/Off Rd Tires; TZG: BF Goodrich Brand Tires; WF1: 17" Steel Spare Wheel; WGD: 17X8.0 Forged Aluminum Wheels; WLZ: All Aluminum Wheels; WMJ: Chrome Center Hub; XA8: Non Adjustable Pedals; XBS: Pickup Box; XCZ: Cargo Box Saltillo/Toluca Painting; XEA: Tow Hooks; XEF: Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield; XFH: Hitch - Class IV Receiver; XFK: 7 Pin Wiring Harness; XFU: Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring; XME: Under Rail Box Bedliner; YAA: Build To U S Market Specifications; YEP: Manuf Statement of Origin; YGM: 10 Additional Gallons of Diesel Fuel; Z7C: GVW Rating - 9000; ZEJ: Spring - Left Front; ZGR: Spring - Left Rear; ZTH: Spring - Right Front; ZVR: Spring - Right Rear

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well now we have us a bona fide mystery lol....are there any extra modules under the dash (pop the lower panel under the column) that don't look factory? Was there any kind of significant event in early December involving your truck that you can remember?

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I have no first hand experience with all this (Just a bunch of heavy research), but heres's what I've read on this. From 2002-2005, you could find a truck with just RKE, just a SKIM sentry key, or both. But starting in 2006, they integrated the RKE and SKIM (sentry key) modules. So basically, if a 2006+ truck has keyless entry, it has a sentry key as well. Based on your sales codes you DO have both RKE and SKIM so everything is good there

Anyways, in 2006 they did away with the "pack of cigarettes" RKE module/sensor on the back of the cluster. The sensor is now enclosed in the SKIM module, which I believe is located on the ignition switch.

Before you go digging thru that though, check fuses 28 and 11. Those go to the module. I'll upload the wiring schematic from the service manual whenever my computer wants to cooperate lol.

EDIT- Here it is

Screenshot_2.jpg

Good luck and let us know what you find! Like I said this is all just information I've found in manuals and on the Internet, so I'm curious to know if it's all the truth.

Btw HemiLonestar I'm one of the very few that has absolutely no power options. It's kinda ironic because the only reason I've done any research on the RKE stuff is because I'm wanting to add the power options lol

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have no first hand experience with all this (Just a bunch of heavy research), but heres's what I've read on this. From 2002-2005, you could find a truck with just RKE, just a SKIM sentry key, or both. But starting in 2006, they integrated the RKE and SKIM (sentry key) modules. So basically, if a 2006+ truck has keyless entry, it has a sentry key as well. Based on your sales codes you DO have both RKE and SKIM so everything is good there

Anyways, in 2006 they did away with the "pack of cigarettes" RKE module/sensor on the back of the cluster. The sensor is now enclosed in the SKIM module, which I believe is located on the ignition switch.

Btw HemiLonestar I'm one of the very few that has absolutely no power options. It's kinda ironic because the only reason I've done any research on the RKE stuff is because I'm wanting to add the power options lol

If they went to a combined module, why would the FSM still show it on the back of the cluster (the page I posted above is directly from the 2006 DR/DH FSM)? That's terrible.
I didn't say "power options", I said "RKE". I've driven enough gov't fleet vehicles to see modern no power option stuff lol.

So some digging. @Fishstickz is correct. It would appear the parts book is vastly more accurate than what I found in the FSM (or I'm reading something wrong or in the wrong section).
56040546AJ is the non RKE sentry key module. [GXM] is the RKE option code.
56040659AJ (which has been superseded by 5026221AQ: https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-receiver-5026221aq) is the combined sentry key & receiver
So the one you'd need if replacement is necessary is 5026221AQ

p97.jpg

@french69ssrs first step is seeing if maybe the keys can be reprogrammed to it again (if you were a little closer I could do it for you with a StarScan). If not, then the module will need to replaced to restore that function. We know the sentry key part is still working because you can still drive it. In case you need it for the future, or just some light reading:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dz5njv6rdc1khkp/2006_Dodge_Ram_Factory_Service_Manual.rar/file (use WinRAR to unzip)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1lrxhdu0f42dw7b/2006_Dodge_Ram_Heavy_Duty_Parts_Manual.pdf/file

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
So some digging. @Fishstickz is correct. It would appear the parts book is vastly more accurate than what I found in the FSM (or I'm reading something wrong or in the wrong section)

I doubt you're reading anything wrong, I know for a fact that the 06 FSM is horrendously inaccurate LOL. It's like they only half assed the manual when they rolled out the 06 refresh. Outdated graphics, outdated info, the whole nine yards

I've started just using the 2008 FSM over the 2006 manual. It has a whole lot more useful information and from what I can tell in most sections have more up-to-date info. My favorite thing by far from the 08 manual is having the connector pinouts listed ALONG with their function. Its probably saved me countless hours of wire hunting

Not to mention the 08 manual has over 1400 more pages of info on it. I would not want a physical copy of that 10,700 page book lol

This thread does have me curious about that module though. If someone was to add this module to a truck without RKE or a Sentry key from the factory, I wonder if they could turn on the RKE function ONLY through AlfaOBD or StarScan. As someone who wants to add RKE later on down the road, I definitely don't want to mess with programming a sentry key. Those seem like more hassle than they're worth lol

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Programming sentry keys is easy with a StarScan, I've done several. Once it's programmed to the vehicle, any features available (like if it's sentry and RKE) are available and working.