Remote oil filter how-to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're also custom tuned, wonder if he changed ur idle RPM?

Humour me, next time you're out on the highway, watch it as you get off and come to a stop in gear. They've set the idle quite low on these, presumably to save fuel cuz it also doesn't run the P/S anymore either. I plan on bumping mine up 100rpm in gear

Sitting in my truck waiting for baseball game to start. I've been idling with a/c on for 45 min. 42psi oil pressure. Oil temp is 212. 700 rpm.

Also for you Efan doubters, 45 min with ac on in a temp of 107. 204 coolant temp!

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, opens at 185 but heatsoaked in 107 degree temps with the asphalt baking heat into the engine from underneath is not easy to cool, especially with AC cranking.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yeah, I understand. Most mine ever got to was 195 sitting in traffic on a 95* day with very high humidity.

I'm not sure what's worse to a car 107 dry heat or 95 with 90% humidity? I know what feels worse though.. lol

btw, where the hell you at that's 107? It's not even really summer yet.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Vegas... We had a record *low* high temp last week at 72 and this week are at 100+ (areas were anywhere between 103-107 today).

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yeah I was thinking Vegas or south Cali, that dry heat is weird compared to here. lol

I've been to Vegas a few times and he will be 100+ and it's hot but doesn't feel hot and even weirder when you don't sweat as much.

While here , you can be in the shade and sweat buckets. lol

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Sitting in my truck waiting for baseball game to start. I've been idling with a/c on for 45 min. 42psi oil pressure. Oil temp is 212. 700 rpm.

Also for you Efan doubters, 45 min with ac on in a temp of 107. 204 coolant temp!

you're a solid 150rpm higher than me there. Which also stands to reason, I think rpm increases by ~50 with AC on.

Like I said, I'm going to pump my idle up a bit with the trinity. I checked again the other day and I see as low as 28psi idle in drive.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A/C increases idle speed by 200 I believe. Try it out today. Ill have to turn it off and see what its at as I didnt even think about it honestly.

And I can assure you I had some sweaty balls yesterday! You are right that 100 isnt horrible but when you are accustomed to low 80s and all of a sudden jump 25 degrees in less than a week, the body does not like that :)

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In short, the humidity is worse. Has to do with how air cools and transfers heat. I could go into the the details but they aren't too much fun lol

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In short, the humidity is worse. Has to do with how air cools and transfers heat. I could go into the the details but they aren't too much fun lol

No one is talking about humidity w/ lower temp vs. higher temp less humidity. Read the thread. He was concerned with oil pressure in relation to RPM and I just threw in the bit about the efan doing a fine job at 107.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No one is talking about humidity w/ lower temp vs. higher temp less humidity. Read the thread. He was concerned with oil pressure in relation to RPM and I just threw in the bit about the efan doing a fine job at 107.
Calm your **** dude, I was merely pointing out the facts because someone said they didn't know what the difference was.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back to the OT,,,,

The filter relocation kit IS tempting,,,,,,, I can certainly see some benefits,,,
but,,,
I change filters about once every 6 months,,, I'll most likely leave the filter where it is and continue to cuss the process! LOL!

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
i tried to ole ziplock bag trick for the first time last time and honest to God, not a drop was spilled.

gillt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi ,what style of an fittings did u use ,Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gillt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What part number r the AN fittings that u used,Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just some interesting specs I discovered today while browsing filters,,,

The small 'OEM recommended' Wix (part # 57060) for the late model 4th Gens flows 10-12 GPM
The larger ''OEM recommended' Wix (part # 57899) for the earlier model 4th Gens flows 9-11 GPM.
The larger still Wix 'PH8A equivalent' (part # 51515) that would fit the filter relocation kit in this thread flows 7-9 GPM.

WIX Filters - Products Catalog Home

I did find (1) relocation kit manufacturer that has a 'deluxe' version that 'retains the use of the stock oil filter':

http://shop.perma-cool.com/Engine-Oil-Filter-Relocation-Kits-DELUXE-single_c20.htm

Part number for our Rams (single filter) would be 70988

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-70988

Part number for our Rams (dual filter) would be 72988

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-72988

Several ways to look at all this,,,,,,

Would a dual remote filter set up with the 'PH8A' 3/4" Wix filters have a combined filter flow rate twice that of a single 'PH8A' Wix filter, surpassing that of the original small 'OEM' Wix filter in late model 4th Gens? My farmboy math says they should, barring any other bottlenecks in the system.

Would a dual remote filter set up with the small 'OEM equivalent 22M X 1.5" Wix filters have the highest flow rate possible of the filters listed above? My farmboy math says 'yep, barring any other bottleneck in the system.'

Would a single remote filter set up with the 'PH8A' 3/4" Wix filter have a flow rate less than either the large or small 'OEM' Wix filters,, with or without any other bottlenecks? My farmboy cipherin' based on the Wix website sez,, 'Sure looks like a distinct possibilty',,

I think the OP did a GREAT job of writing all this up, and it's clear he didn't use a 'Wix PH8A equivalent' filter. (He utilized a Royal P 20-253)

I have no flow data on his choice of filter, and I'm certainly not condemning anything he's done. Not at all.

But,,,

if flow rates matter to folks,,, please be advised there are some 3/4" filters out there made by a reputable company (and potentially others) that do not meet the flow rates of what that same reputable company (and potentially others) would have you install on your 4th Gen RAM.

(On a sidenote,,,, Does anybody have flow rate numbers for each individual RP filter?)

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What psi and fluid viscosity are those flow rates calculated at? Because those two factors make a HUGE difference.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What psi and fluid viscosity are those flow rates calculated at? Because those two factors make a HUGE difference.

As the info listed above came from WIX, they would be the ones you could contact to obtain the specifics,,,

It is assumed the same testing procedures were performed each on the WIX filters listed above. To do otherwise would certainly skew the results.