Remote oil filter how-to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Alright, so finished up the oil filter relocation kit, I was getting angry about getting oil all over my rack and front cross member every time I change the oil, the filter's also a PITA to get to so I wanted an easier place to get at. I know there's lots of tricks to getting the filter off without any mess but the location is still a PITA and I change the oil very regularly with my setup so I want simple and easy. It was pretty straightforward to install, tool requirements were very minimal: a drill, 5/16 drill bit, ratchet with socket (or flat head screwdriver bit), and a crescent wrench (or proper sized box-end).

I used the Tansdapt 1127 remote filter kit, it's not listed for the Ram, but the filter kit works perfectly since we have a 22mm x 1.5 thread pitch with a 2 1/2" ID filter flange. I got my kit from Jegs for $70, very reasonable price I think.

3ShXzJR.jpg

Now, the kit comes with all the hoses and fittings to install everything except the teflon tape for the threaded fittings. Since I'm a stickler for how it looks as well as how it functions, I changed out the brass fittings for some 90 deg -10AN fittings and some Hose Candy hose wrap to clean it up for a better looking install. If you don't care about looks as much, the install is the exact same, just use the supplied brass fittings instead of the -AN fittings.

tSaobzQ.jpg

I installed the remote filter base vertically on the passenger's side inner frame rail but it can be installed horizontally as well with no issues if you want a cleaner install with the brass fittings. I made a paper template of the filter holes and transferred it onto the frame rail then drilled the 5/16" holes and used the ratchet to tighten it to the frame using the supplied screws. I tightened the 1/2" NPT to -10AN fittings into place before installation because of how close I wanted it to the radiator. 90 deg fittings in place just for clearance testing

O2suhMj.jpg

Then I installed the filter by-pass base onto the block's oil filter mount. This just threads into place, the instructions say that if it doesn't thread on all the way that a few threads will need to be cut off the factory nipple, but this wasn't required. They say to just tighten it as a normal oil filter, but I did take my filter wrench to it to get it the last full turn since there's less to grab compared to a normal filter.

cMjxUpW.jpg

Both the bypass base and the remote base are labelled for the hoses IN/OUT so it's not hard to set it up, but I still managed to do screw it up the first time.

26KCsZF.jpg

I attached one set of fittings to one end of the supplied hoses, I then attached the hoses to the bypass base and laid them out to get the proper length, marked them and cut them. I then installed the hose wrap and the other set of fittings.

9W9Oy5b.jpg

Install the OUT hose from the bypass base to the IN on the remote base, and the OUT from the remote base to the IN on the bypass base. So easy I managed to screw it up, I know.

Rn6FQWA.jpg

RqyJskJ.jpg

Phq1azO.jpg

After all is said and done, I installed a new RP oil filter. It should be noted that the remote base does not use the standard Dodge 22mm x 1.5 oil filter, it uses the more common 3/4"-16 filters which happen to be cheaper too.

8H8bm6f.jpg

lmf0dXp.jpg

Once it was all installed, I fired up the truck, had zero oil pressure because I'm an idiot. Swapped the hoses on the remote filter base and retried, oil pressure jumped right up and all was good with the world. Once I shut it down after running for a while, I checked for leaks, had none, topped up the engine oil as required. My oil changes will now need 7-8 quarts instead of the normal 7 to account for the additional hoses and filter volumes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Too much trouble for me. To me there is just more things that can leak now. I can change mine without a mess. That is cool that it works for you.

Lol, if you see what else I have done to this truck 2 extra oil hoses would be the least of my worries. I've run remote filters on a lot of vehicles and never had a leak, plus replacement hoses cost $5 at the parts store if you ever need them. I'd debated on the dual bypass filter but since my supercharger is self-contained I figured I didn't need the extra filtration.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
on the 13-14's the oil pressure is already low at idle, not sure this would help.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Like I said it's cool it works for you. I don't have a race truck so it's not worth it to me. I change my oil 3 times a year, you probably change your oil allot more often.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
awesome!! on a side note a easy way to have no mess is tin foil.. I wrap anything that might get oil on it with time foil and even wrap the little plastic oil catch In tin foil so when I am all done I just peel it off and throw it away.. and no oil mess left to deal with.. I learned this with my crotchrockets.. got tired of getting oil on the exhaust pipes.. works like a charm! Nice write up though.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Have you noticed any type of oil psi drop? Especially at idle once motor is at operating temp?

I have this exact kit-->just have not installed it yet... Those 90* fittings are a nice touch.

Wife's expedition had a factory relocation oil filter kit installed just in front of the drivers front tire. After I installed a Fumoto drain valve oil changes were quick and very little mess.

Last edited:

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
realistically his engine is nothing like ours lol... soooooo.. its apples n oranges

We're the grocery carts with the wonky wheel... he's the electric scooter with the basket.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Between the filter relocation and maybe adding a Fumoto oil drain valve, one could probably do an oil change in about 45 seconds flat and no mess to clean up after! :favorites13:

Installed a Fumoto at the same time ;)

realistically his engine is nothing like ours lol... soooooo.. its apples n oranges

We're the grocery carts with the wonky wheel... he's the electric scooter with the basket.

Lmao, love analogy, but this works for all vehicles. Normally I'd just bite the bullet and change it like everybody else, but I'm lazy and like doing things as easily as possible, I don't need to crawl under my truck anymore to do an oil change except to open and close the Fumoto valve.

Have you noticed any type of oil psi drop? Especially at idle once motor is at operating temp?

I have this exact kit-->just have not installed it yet... Those 90* fittings are a nice touch.

Wife's expedition had a factory relocation oil filter kit installed just in front of the drivers front tire. After I installed a Fumoto drain valve oil changes were quick and very little mess.

No change in oil pressure with this kit that I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Lmao, love analogy, but this works for all vehicles. Normally I'd just bite the bullet and change it like everybody else, but I'm lazy and like doing things as easily as possible, I don't need to crawl under my truck anymore to do an oil change except to open and close the Fumoto valve.

No change in oil pressure with this kit that I've seen.

I know it'd work on them, I was referring more to the question about a drop in oil PSI.. you're not still running the stock pump and/or stock idle rpm are you?

Like I said earlier the 13-14's seem to have idle rpm oil pressure issues. I know mine will dip as low as 20 psi at temp. So adding more oil line and a larger filter MAY only exacerbate the issue.

(that's my $0.02 word for the day)

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know it'd work on them, I was referring more to the question about a drop in oil PSI.. you're not still running the stock pump and/or stock idle rpm are you?

Like I said earlier the 13-14's seem to have idle rpm oil pressure issues. I know mine will dip as low as 20 psi at temp. So adding more oil line and a larger filter MAY only exacerbate the issue.

(that's my $0.02 word for the day)

I have a 2014 and even in 110 degree heat, my oil pressure at idle does not go below 35 (normally 38) and most of the time itll sit mid to high 40's.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
You're also custom tuned, wonder if he changed ur idle RPM?

Humour me, next time you're out on the highway, watch it as you get off and come to a stop in gear. They've set the idle quite low on these, presumably to save fuel cuz it also doesn't run the P/S anymore either. I plan on bumping mine up 100rpm in gear

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have Never seen below 34... With transmission in drive and brake applied and at a complete stop... (Oil temp at 217). No mods are done that would effect this.

This is where I have noticed the lowest psi.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
My idle is 800rpm, it was only a 100rpm increase over stock. At idle my pressure is 40psi and steady driving it's at 48psi.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ill plug in the Trinity tomorrow and get exact idle RPM in drive and watch the pressure and report back.

Pretty sure its bumped a little, 750 maybe?