Remote Start and Front Defroster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe the difference between the 2018 and 2020 model years.

As far as I’m concerned, I’m glad they got rid of that goofy console shifter when they came out with the eight speed and if they weren’t at least going to put the column shifter back on, I’d much rather have that knob rather than a console shifter that makes the inside of my truck look like a car but surprisingly enough, there’s plenty of people who don’t like the knob and would actually prefer to have that shifter right back between the seats but, I can’t imagine in my wildest dreams why anybody would ever complain about their heater automatically turning the defrost on to clear the windshield for them so, I don’t know why ram trucks would want to take this feature away which is why I’m really leaning towards something being wrong with your truck. I don’t think it’s supposed to do what it’s been doing.

I mean, you would think that because of all the problems they’ve had over the past years with the air ride system on these half tons that they would’ve done away with that a long time ago but as far as I know, they still make the higher trim model 1500s with the full complete air ride system so again, I’m thinking maybe if it’s that much of a problem then maybe your truck probably might need to go spend a few days at the dealership while they try to figure out what’s wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blair Stunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my 2020 Longhorn, using the remote start the HVAC system automatically switches on the front windshield defrost at high speed. It also seems to have a heating element in it because it starts blowing warm air from the start. As soon as I press the start button, the system reverts back to the last setting when the vehicle was stopped.

OP
OP
BulaienS

BulaienS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 V8, 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
On my 2020 Longhorn, using the remote start the HVAC system automatically switches on the front windshield defrost at high speed. It also seems to have a heating element in it because it starts blowing warm air from the start. As soon as I press the start button, the system reverts back to the last setting when the vehicle was stopped.

Yep! I'll have to trade in my 2020 BigHorn and get myself a 2020 Longhorn!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep! I'll have to trade in my 2020 BigHorn and get myself a 2020 Longhorn!
So I’m just curious, did you ever figure out what your problem was? The only reason why I’m reviving this thread is because apparently I have a bad humidity sensor in my truck because I guess somewhere between right now and when this thread was created, I’ve noticed that that there’s been times where my windshield has been fogged over in the morning or had condensation on it and after remote starting it, I actually have to turn the auto climate control off and put the system manually into defrost mode.

If your humidity sensor is bad, one way to for sure check to see if it is bad being that if it goes out, it won’t throw a check engine light code because it’s part of the body control module and not the big ECU under your hood but when you put the HVAC into auto mode by pushing the button, if you can turn on your recirc and the indicator light on the button stays on steady then your sensor is fine but if you push the recirc button and the indicator light on the button starts to flash, that means the humidity sensor isn’t working.

I confirmed this after just watching a YouTube video because the reason why I started to suspect this was going on, being that I bought Alpha OBD to make dealer changes to the truck, that software can connect to all the different modules you have on your truck to make changes to and all of those modules can store fault codes and I think it was back a few weeks ago when I was trying to turn my daytime running lights on when one of the settings said that after enabling it, you have to go to the status of the module and clear any codes that might have popped up after it and one of the codes that popped up that I saw was a P1009 code which has to do with your humidity sensor and every time I tried to clear that code it would keep coming back. After asking about it on some of the Facebook groups, I went ahead and ordered me a new sensor thinking it might be bad- which still hasn’t showed up yet but after watching that YouTube video I just watched, it all makes sense now of why that code keeps popping up because I always thought that in order to turn the recirc on, you had to take the automatic climate control out of auto because even as of right now and for quite some time, my truck does the same thing; if I have the HVAC in auto and if I try to turn the recirc on, the light on the button just blinks.

Here’s the video I’m talking about so when my new sensor comes in and I get it installed, I’ll report back if that was actually the case, that I had a bad sensor preventing the defrost coming on automatically when it’s supposed to when you have frost, ice or even whatever amount of fog or condensation on your windshield when you remote start it in the morning.