Remote Start Inop @ 18°F and Whining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I have relatives in both those provinces. stayed in Sask. for 3 weeks. flat cold and boring.
I don't really live in TO. North of it on 2 acres. We have a lot animals here, deer, coyote, rabbits, etc..

Travelled a lot when I was young. Don't think they have those cheap greyhound buss anymore.
Does Trudeau let you hunt em? Lol

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Can't answer that, thread would be locked :)

We kind of went off topic. Have you been able to find out that noise?
Yeah, it happens. I can't replicate the weird high pitch noise when the engine is off but I do believe it's related to transfer case because it only seems to ever happen going in and out of 4wd. That noise seemed to happen this time when turning the truck off while in 4wd. The noise the transfer case actuator makes when you go from 4wd auto or any 4wd operation into 2wd is quite loud anyways. Almost robotic sounding. I know that parts normal. I do think I'm either dealing with a bad idler or pulley bearing or maybe just a constant noisy belt sound. Idk. It's about 63k miles and everything on it appears original.

Snow Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a weird one and I can't pinpoint what's going on but it seems temp related. Here goes...

Two days in a row now, it's been 18 degrees F. I attempted to remote start my 2017 Ram 4x4 Limited (62k miles) and it cranks fine from starter then attempts to run only to act like it can't turn over and shuts off. I'm running 5w30 Redline oil and never had an issue in that regard. No known lifter tick and @Burla youve verified that all sounds good before. No CEL and ive gone through all checklists of what it could be. None of those. It has a 2 month old Odyssey AGM. Please view the videos attached and offer any advice you can. Thanks.

This video is attempt to remote start followed by failure: https://youtube.com/shorts/mY0G7ZUtBsE?feature=share

This video is the sound of some kind of strange whining noise after manually starting following a failed remote start: https://youtube.com/shorts/HWUq4ba1GK0?feature=share

Finally, this video is the engine bay shortly after starting and sounds like what maybe could be piston slap but I don't know:
It was -2 F in Michigan the other day when I tried using the remote start on my 2019 RAM Limited 1500. Usually when activated, the trucks horn will sound twice and the truck will start right up. This time, the trucks horn would only beeped once, not twice, and would not attempt to start!

Only after I started the truck from inside the cab, and the truck warmed up for a bit, did the remote starter work again!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
It was -2 F in Michigan the other day when I tried using the remote start on my 2019 RAM Limited 1500. Usually when activated, the trucks horn will sound twice and the truck will start right up. This time, the trucks horn would only beeped once, not twice, and would not attempt to start!

Only after I started the truck from inside the cab, and the truck warmed up for a bit, did the remote starter work again!
The system reads your battery voltage, if too low, one beep, no start. Will start with push button. Reason it remote starts after is voltage is back up. Even a brand new battery loses a lot of its capacity when you hit 0F and below. At your temperature you are working with 60%. At -20 you drop to less than 50%. If you put a battery blanket on that plugs in with your block heater, it will solve 95% of most cold start issues. This issues will keep growing with our newer, heavily computerised vehicles, as it becomes more and more obvious how important a good battery is.

0 C = 32 F, - 23 C= -10 F, -40 C = -40 F

tjjNkxNMrB4yV4r2oPVkkHAqgt5cH3A90Q.jpg
Lead-Acid-Battery-Voltage-Charts-Image-10.jpg

Last edited:

Deltapapa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same here, central Texas. It was 14 degrees and the remote would not start the truck ( no block heater ). The remote start will work at 26 degrees thou

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 17 Laramie dies this exact same thing. It is getting annoying. I’ve replaced the battery and now I’m looking at replacing the alternator.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will only get one beep also if a door is not fully latched or hood not latched.
I have had the truck not start at odd times, some times in a parking lot. Get close and it usally will. I changed batteries not long ago , but cleaned the fob up and installed new battery.
I have trouble hearing hi pitch, wife can.
I have had ocation to start at -50, so it can happen.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The Dodge rams and jeeps remote option are like that you can only start your vehicle 2 times then the vehicle has to be started by the key to reset back, 2 remote starts again. A brain fart of an option. I called a dealer and cant be changed locked in to the 2 starts then has to be reset. My truck which I use sparingly maybe once every 2-3 weeks sucks in the winter because i will start every 4 days to make sure battery does not go dead and after the 2 spent remote starts I have to go out and physically start with the key. Also called a local place that does remote starts and only way around that is an aftermarket one $400/with alarm installed. So Chrysler/Jeep i have 3 or these vehicles with factory remote and all suck for the 2 time remote start limit.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The Dodge rams and jeeps remote option are like that you can only start your vehicle 2 times then the vehicle has to be started by the key to reset back, 2 remote starts again. A brain fart of an option. I called a dealer and cant be changed locked in to the 2 starts then has to be reset. My truck which I use sparingly maybe once every 2-3 weeks sucks in the winter because i will start every 4 days to make sure battery does not go dead and after the 2 spent remote starts I have to go out and physically start with the key. Also called a local place that does remote starts and only way around that is an aftermarket one $400/with alarm installed. So Chrysler/Jeep i have 3 or these vehicles with factory remote and all suck for the 2 time remote start limit.
Put a permanent mounted tender on the battery and leave it plugged in. Hell of a lot cheaper, way easier on the truck and you don't have to go outside every third day. Batteries don't charge well at idle.