Remote start issues with activation distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snapper23

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am inquiring to see if any other 4th gen owners are having issues with their remote start activation. Both my fobs only activate the remote start from approximately 10 to 12 feet away. If I’m in the house it barely works. If I use my U Connect app on my phone it works every time no matter where I am at. I am thinking my truck has some type of antenna issue with the key fobs.

I do not believe it is actually the fobs themselves. I changed the batteries on both fobs with no success.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have read about FOB issues. One solution was to ensure the metal connectors are in working order. You say starting by phone is operating, are you subscribed to UCONNECT

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello All,
I am inquiring to see if any other 4th gen owners are having issues with their remote start activation. Both my fobs only activate the remote start from approximately 10 to 12 feet away. If I’m in the house it barely works. If I use my U Connect app on my phone it works every time no matter where I am at. I am thinking my truck has some type of antenna issue with the key fobs.

I do not believe it is actually the fobs themselves. I changed the batteries on both fobs with no success.

Maybe the batteries are going out?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All,

Do you have anything inside your vehicle that may be interfering with your key fob's radio signal transmission?

Of course, your Uconnect app will work better because it works through the cellular network in your truck, not through radio frequency.

The only reason I ask about something interfering with the key fobs is because I once was faced with a similar issue like this that was from a Diablo Sport tuner I tried leaving connected all the time for the gauges and stuff in my old 2008 Ram. I eventually had to not run it hooked up all the time because the cable I'm guessing, that ran from the tuner to the OBD-II plug was the issue of emitting a **** load of RF interference that not only screwed with my key fob range, it also screwed with the signal transmission between my tire pressure sensors and the TPMS receiver. Even a bunch of those little ferrite cable insulator doohickeys attached to the cable wouldn't even contain it.

Hope you figure out what's causing it.

OP
OP
snapper23

snapper23

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for responding, in reference to the battery response. Yes the batteries are brand new and it made no difference in performance. I do not have any type of device inside that would interfere with any type of resistance to radio waves. The truck is stock and has no accessories attached. This is a real pain in the neck , I’m going to make an appointment with the dealership for the second time to try to resolve this issue. If you can’t get the thing to work at a reasonable distance there really is no use for a remote start. Thanks again for everybody’s response just trying to resolve the problem. Life experiences are much more valuable than repair shop guesses.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks everyone for responding, in reference to the battery response. Yes the batteries are brand new and it made no difference in performance. I do not have any type of device inside that would interfere with any type of resistance to radio waves. The truck is stock and has no accessories attached. This is a real pain in the neck , I’m going to make an appointment with the dealership for the second time to try to resolve this issue. If you can’t get the thing to work at a reasonable distance there really is no use for a remote start. Thanks again for everybody’s response just trying to resolve the problem. Life experiences are much more valuable than repair shop guesses.

Okay don't laugh as this has been known to work for some guys,lol. Try holding the fob against your chin while using the remote start and see if it makes any difference.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay don't laugh as this has been known to work for some guys,lol. Try holding the fob against your chin while using the remote start and see if it makes any difference.
Lol no joke. I get an extra 50-75 feet doing that. But no issues with the normal range for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

xRam2014Sportx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Let us know if the dealer fixes the issue. I’ve been having the same problem for a year now. Both fobs new batteries. Lock and unlock work every time but remote start won’t get recognized some times. I’m thinking it’s the key fob because just the other day it wasn’t recognized as being in the truck.

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
Also, do a test to see if the problem is location dependent. Drive out to a parking lot somewhere and see if the range improves. If so, there might be some local interference around your home that is causing the issue.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I own multiple FCA vehicles. If I am too close to the spare fobs for my other vehicles I have noticed the remote start doesnt work as readily. I have also noticed that if there is another FCA vehicle like at a walmart parking lot, right next to or very close to mine my dodge van ...it wont lock or unlock till I am right on top of it.

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7

I think this depends on how much gold you have in your "grill"

OP
OP
snapper23

snapper23

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your thoughts and ideas. I have actually tried the human chin antenna. LOL. I will advise what the outcome is. Several weeks until I can get it to service, their schedule is full. In reference to different locations it does not seem to change the issue.

xRam2014Sportx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Have you taken the circuit board out of the housing? I posted previously and after messing with mine for a bit I believe its fixed. For some reason the battery connection was good enough to activate lock/unlock but not the remote start. Remove from the housing and press on the far edge lower corner of your battery and double tap the remote start button. if it works then you need to remove the battery and slightly pry up the middle tabs and also bend the top outer tabs down. Reasmble and ****, just like new.

2names

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you taken the circuit board out of the housing? I posted previously and after messing with mine for a bit I believe its fixed. For some reason the battery connection was good enough to activate lock/unlock but not the remote start. Remove from the housing and press on the far edge lower corner of your battery and double tap the remote start button. if it works then you need to remove the battery and slightly pry up the middle tabs and also bend the top outer tabs down. Reasmble and ****, just like new.

Thanks for taking time to reply to this thread as it solved my issue as well!

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have noticed at times the timing of the double tap plays into the equation. From further away if it only picks up one of the button presses, it doesn't start. Other than that I have no issues with my 15, if the locks will work, the remote start works at the same distance.

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had mine serviced because my range sucked. There is a TSB from RAM to clean the antenna wire/ground under the console. Don't have the number handy just relaying what was verbally told to me.