Remote Start Not Working Due to Failed LF Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

falford89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, this site has been super helpful in the past so I'm hoping you guys can help decipher this one. AlfaOBD shows that some LF antennas are failing, which I assume is preventing the remote start from working. It looks like there are issues with the left door and interior rear antenna (but it's only throwing a code for antenna 4, interior rear). I have tip start and from my research on this site it seems that the interior rear antenna against the rear cabin wall and the interior front antenna under the console aren't needed for remote start, just for push button start. Do I just need to replace the left door antenna (or find the short in the cable to that antenna), or, since there's a short in the rear interior antenna, could it cause a problem with the two door antennas, thereby preventing remote start from working? Just wondering if I need to focus on the left door antenna, the interior rear antenna, or both. Appreciate any ideas you guys have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116-003015_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116-003015_AlfaOBD.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20221116-003357_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116-003357_AlfaOBD.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20221116-004209_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116-004209_AlfaOBD.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20221116-004234_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116-004234_AlfaOBD.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 13

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe that i read that the ignition switch on early model Rams has an antenna, called a WIN Module. ( Wireless Ignition Node Module )

on newer Rams, they move the WIN Module behind the rear seat on the drivers side

What i don't recall, was what year that change was made
It could also depend on whether the FOB fits into the ignition, Passive Ignition, or stays in your pocket, Smart FOB

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I believe that i read that the ignition switch on early model Rams has an antenna, called a WIN Module. ( Wireless Ignition Node Module )

on newer Rams, they move the WIN Module behind the rear seat on the drivers side

It could also depend on whether the FOB fits into the ignition, Passive Ignition, or stays in your pocket, Smart FOB
I believe the RF HUB was introduced in the new electrical architecture that came out in 2013 production. The RF HUB was responsible for TPMS and KEYFOB remote commands. The passive entry and keyless go were on a much lower frequency, I believe around 120 kHz.

Having issues with the low-frequency antennas should not affect KEYFOB remote commands unless the issue is within the module and the report of shorted antennas is a false positive pointing to other issues.

OP
OP
falford89

falford89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yea, mine is Passive Ignition. I don't have a Smart FOB. That video is very detailed, thanks. Unfortunately, electrical is somewhat of my weak spot when it comes to auto repair. You think it may be a WIN Module issue?

I believe the RF HUB was introduced in the new electrical architecture that came out in 2013 production. The RF HUB was responsible for TPMS and KEYFOB remote commands. The passive entry and keyless go were on a much lower frequency, I believe around 120 kHz.

Having issues with the low-frequency antennas should not affect KEYFOB remote commands unless the issue is within the module and the report of shorted antennas is a false positive pointing to other issues.
Yea I thought it may be the RF HUB as well. Wonder if there's any way to test that without pulling the back seat. But isn't the remote start system sensitive to any error codes or check engine lights and won't work when it detects one? I know the shorted antennas aren't tripping a CEL on the panel, but do you think the error code could be enough to prevent it from remote starting?

Just FYI, when I do click remote start, the instrument panel does light up, indicating that the truck does seem to receive the signal from the key. Perhaps the start sequence stops once it detects the error code? I'm stumped.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yea, mine is Passive Ignition. I don't have a Smart FOB. That video is very detailed, thanks. Unfortunately, electrical is somewhat of my weak spot when it comes to auto repair. You think it may be a WIN Module issue?

Yea I thought it may be the RF HUB as well. Wonder if there's any way to test that without pulling the back seat. But isn't the remote start system sensitive to any error codes or check engine lights and won't work when it detects one? I know the shorted antennas aren't tripping a CEL on the panel, but do you think the error code could be enough to prevent it from remote starting?

Just FYI, when I do click remote start, the instrument panel does light up, indicating that the truck does seem to receive the signal from the key. Perhaps the start sequence stops once it detects the error code? I'm stumped.
The only information I know that prevents a remote start is what is listed in the owner's manual. To go any deeper we would need access to technical documents and perhaps dealer-level diagnostic tools. AlfaOBD might be of help but I'm not sure.

Another option albeit painful, is to pay the dealer for diagnostics. If it is the RF HUB, a replacement will need to be programmed to your vehicle.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You may want to stop by an Auto Electric shop & ask them if they are familiar with the Rams electronics

Unless you have an extended warranty through Mopar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01