Remote start not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muk muk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone. Ive been having issues with my remote starter for the past little while (year and a bit) on my 2013 ram longhorn. The remote start will not work unless i take the actual board out of the remote and press the start button on the board, then it works every time. I've tired a process of elimination by assembling the remote one piece at a time and trying the starter after each piece i put together. When i put the hard plastic back plate on it will not work. I've tied new batteries in the remote and rebooting the truck computer, dont seem to help. The only thing i can really think of is some sort of interference between the remote and the sensor in the truck. I have two remotes and they are both having the same issue.

Any helpful advice is welcome.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you pressing too hard on the remote itself causing board damage maybe? Or maybe the housing is too thick and it’s not getting enough input? Either way just my worthless 2 cents. My remote went out on my 12 Power Wagon about 2 years ago but it’s actually the hood latch. Says, hood ajar remote aborted or some nonsense like that. Didn’t bother to fix it as I can go out and sit in the truck and get some peace and quiet while I crank the radio, letting it warm up on the cold days.

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Mine is starting to have a similar problem, i have to click the buttom a ton of times and finally it works. Whats odd to me is i found that hitting the lock button first increased the odds of it working with 1 or 2 tries.

Also have a 2013 Longorn

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Mine is starting to have a similar problem, i have to click the buttom a ton of times and finally it works. Whats odd to me is i found that hitting the lock button first increased the odds of it working with 1 or 2 tries.

Also have a 2013 Longorn

I also think it might be wear and / or damage to the actual switch on the circuit board. But then again, i got mine with 70k miles and its just now doing it after ive owned it a year

OP
OP
M

muk muk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I'm back and still have the same issue and after a miserable winter last year not having the remote start consistently working I'm determined to get this resolved. I have a hard time convincing myself its the remotes because i have two and the one I've only used a handful of times over the last 8 years I've owned the truck. So the wear and tear on that remote would be very minimal. Curious if anyone with similar issues has come to a conclusion...

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Fixed! So I was sure I was going to have to go to the dealership and get a new programmed fob, but that wasn't the case evidently.

I went on ebay and purchased one of these, popped in my circuit board from my old key. And presto. Works like new still after testing it for 2 weeks. I can be in the grocery store checking out and start my truck again. So nice this time of year

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211222-124213.jpg
    Screenshot_20211222-124213.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 7

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
...not working again. The new keyfob worked for weeks flawlessly. Then all of a sudden, the truck does not recognize my key again. I took my key apart and fiddled with the battery placment. FWIW i believe now that the prongs that hold the battery in contact with the circuit board were loose. So carefully bending back the prongs helped the truck recognize the key, and now its sort of working.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are a few fixes
first of all on the inside of the case, the side of the case with the buttons on it, there should be some nipples, one for each button. Check your Start button for that nipple as compared to the other buttons.

The Start position on the green circuit board does not have anything behind it to brace it against bowing.
Some videos mention supporting the circuit board so that it does not bow so easily when you push the start button

Another option would be to buy a new outer case, but it sounds like you tried that

So that leaves one other option
It is called Simple Key, some other members have used them
I can't speak to their quality or reliability

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye