Remote start only works within 10'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure this is in here somewhere but I can't find it. My remote start will only work when I'm less than 10' from the truck. Even then I have to reach....its sad. It's not just one remote, it's both. Both have fresh batteries. It has gas, doors locked, hood shut, all the typical checks. It will lock and unlock from distance. I would think the receiver unit it the doors locks only worked up close to, but im baffled. Ideas?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Lift the lid on the TIPM and push down on all the fuses. My remote start began acting up the past few days, sometimes only beeping once & not starting.
New fob batteries, boards/contacts good in both.
Opened the TIPM today and almost every fuse was up slightly in it's slot. Pushed them all down and whatdya know? Remote start working fine again with both fobs.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
^ Yep, happened to me as well. Same fix.

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird.....I just checked a fuse in that box the other day, since my USB inside the console isn't working. The fuse was good, but when I re-installed it, I noticed it was in further than all the fuses around it. I checked a handful of ones around it and they all pushed in further, maybe a 1/16" or so and they seemed to click in and seat correctly. I was almost afraid I was pushing them in too far. Until reading this post... Now I want to check every fuse in there. It seems like they're not seated correctly.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I got you beat. We bought my wife a brand new 2017 Subaru Crosstrek Limited with the keyless ignition fob. Had them flash for the remote started as part of the deal. 10' max distance and to top it off Subaru will shut off when you open the door. Some safety feature. So you get it to start, take 2 steps then open the door and it shuts off.
Dealer told me they can install the other one that has a separate fob and longer range. They said they would swap it for me. Took a vacation day and went to dealer. Dropped it off and about 15 minutes later they called and said there were parts missing from the box and they would order another one. Take another vacation day the following week and show up again. Sitting in the waiting room after about 10 minutes guy comes out and says there is a problem....lol. That remote start won't work with the keyless ignition on the Limiteds. And you didn't know that ahead of time? So they tell me there is nothing they can do. I'm furious now. Get home and call a different Subaru dealer and ask about a remote starter. He asks my VIN and puts me on hold. Comes back and says they cannot install that one on my car. I ask why and he explains. I then told him about my experience and he agreed that they should have known that as soon as they entered the VIN to order it.

So 3 years later and we have only ever used the remote starter maybe 5 times. My wife has never used it and it's her car. She actually does it old school by starting it and leaving the keys in it while it runs.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
While you have the lid off the fuse box to set the fuses in better
Take a couple of minutes & use a Fuse Checker on each fuse

You can buy a
AutoZone
Bussmann Combo Fuse Tester/Puller
, but the little plastic knob that lets you move the slider is very very fragile & breaks easily

Or you can pay just a bit more & buy a
Littelfuse FUSE TESTER/PULLER ATO/MINI w/ 3 pins

Everyone should have a Continuity Tester in their toolbox, its a good fuse tester & wire checker

Toolman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2020 Wranglers have had issues with fuses not being seated from the factory, causes all kinds of gremlins.