Remote start options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ouvs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 1500, did not come with remote start but does have security and remote lock and unlock. I don't want to have a key that has the buttons and a keyfob for the remote start. I've had the viper on my 2 99 Cummins trucks, worked wonderfully. But I had just a key and the viper fob. I had a 2003 Ram 2500 Hemi and had a key and fob. I had a 2008 Ram 2500 Mega cab and the key fob was part of the key and remote start. Now I have the ordinary key fob without remote start but I work in a factory and I'm at the back and truck is far away. I don't want the crappy 50 feet range I do have.

I was thinking the smart start viper since I don't have u connect.

What are my options?

BuggyMasters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of my factory remote starts would work hundreds of feet away. I know some say otherwise but everyone I’ve had worked great.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All of my factory remote starts would work hundreds of feet away. I know some say otherwise but everyone I’ve had worked great.

i will be one to say mine dont. it all depends on where you are trying to start them from. more interference less range.

smart start is nice it uses cell towers.

there is also drone (compustar) version of the app start.

what i would do is use the factory remote with a bypass module (hit the lock button 3x and it will start), and add the smart start or drone to it. that way the factory fob you can use for short distance and the smart start for long.

OP
OP
ouvs

ouvs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i will be one to say mine dont. it all depends on where you are trying to start them from. more interference less range.

smart start is nice it uses cell towers.

there is also drone (compustar) version of the app start.

what i would do is use the factory remote with a bypass module (hit the lock button 3x and it will start), and add the smart start or drone to it. that way the factory fob you can use for short distance and the smart start for long.
So get the plug and play remote start, the one that goes behind the ignition switch and hit 3 times. I've seen a few of those and get smart start? Or my car whatever it is. I know Viper has a phone one but I think that only works with Viper remote start. I just want to make sure I get the right one

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you 100% don't want extra key pads, and I mean 100% will never ever ever ever ever have a desire for those key pads; go to Best Buy and ask them to put the DroneMobile system on your truck, along with the bypass which allows 3X lock on your factory remote. The bypass is self explanatory... you push your lock button 3X and it starts (or kills) your truck engine. It (should be) around $200 for the bypass alone. The DroneMobile cell phone add on is $150 and will allow you to remotely start/stop/lock/unlock your truck from anywhere (the back of your factory or another country). There is a small monthly/yearly fee because it's cell based. But, if you pay it in advance you can get it as low as $3.61/mo for their basic plan if you pay 3 years ($129.99) all the way up to their advanced plan $11.99/mo if you only pay monthly. The basic plan allows you to lock/unlock/start/stop. The main thing the advanced plan has is GPS tracking.

Side note, you get your first 30 days free with the Drone system.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/229-00-remote-start-at-best-buy.123066/

OP
OP
ouvs

ouvs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you 100% don't want extra key pads, and I mean 100% will never ever ever ever ever have a desire for those key pads; go to Best Buy and ask them to put the DroneMobile system on your truck, along with the bypass which allows 3X lock on your factory remote. The bypass is self explanatory... you push your lock button 3X and it starts (or kills) your truck engine. It (should be) around $200 for the bypass alone. The DroneMobile cell phone add on is $150 and will allow you to remotely start/stop/lock/unlock your truck from anywhere (the back of your factory or another country). There is a small monthly/yearly fee because it's cell based. But, if you pay it in advance you can get it as low as $3.61/mo for their basic plan if you pay 3 years ($129.99) all the way up to their advanced plan $11.99/mo if you only pay monthly. The basic plan allows you to lock/unlock/start/stop. The main thing the advanced plan has is GPS tracking.

Side note, you get your first 30 days free with the Drone system.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/229-00-remote-start-at-best-buy.123066/
Now that's what I like to hear. Yes I 110000010101010101% don't want any more things in my key ring. I just got the app for Stocard so I can put all my rewards on that and off my keys. I took off a few other keys I don't use weekly. So I'm down to barebones almost, and it fits better in my pocket, as well as my wallet. Trying to not put wallet in back pocket. I will for sure check this out. I really really appreciate it. Especially being in Michigan having that remote start for summer and winter is a must. On my 99s it was great because I would have it for 30 minute run time on the diesels and the cab would get so warm, I wouldn't have to scrape anything off lol

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that's what I like to hear. Yes I 110000010101010101% don't want any more things in my key ring. I just got the app for Stocard so I can put all my rewards on that and off my keys. I took off a few other keys I don't use weekly. So I'm down to barebones almost, and it fits better in my pocket, as well as my wallet. Trying to not put wallet in back pocket. I will for sure check this out. I really really appreciate it. Especially being in Michigan having that remote start for summer and winter is a must. On my 99s it was great because I would have it for 30 minute run time on the diesels and the cab would get so warm, I wouldn't have to scrape anything off lol

:favorites37:

I state it that way because I have a buddy who was going to go sans extras as well, but I talked him into the extra $30... just in case. For $30, it's almost worth it while they're at it.

But then you have to wait for the DOTD to (maybe) pop up, whereas the $200 and $150 for the bypass and the Drone are every day prices.