Remote starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4 door 4x4 with 4.7. I have just recently purchased and had best buy install a compustar 4900s remote starter. Everything that the package stats that it does works except one thing...when i push the button on the key fob to remote start the truck it does start but the instrument panel has the abs light and a couple other lights lite and no accessories like the radio or the A.C. compressor come on. The A.C. blower motor comes on but until i stick the key in and turn it to the on position the compressor will not come on. Once i do this the compressor comes on. Most of the reason i had the remote starter installed was to cool the truck off before i get into it in this hot Florida weather. Has anyone encountered this and/or does anyone have any resolution or any input on this situation? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are usually two or three accessory and ignition wires in the truck’s harness, which usually involve installing a relay to connect the additional ones. A lot of people either don’t know how to wire up the relays to do it or don’t feel like doing it, so they don’t hook them up. On some vehicles this can actually cause serious damage, specifically to the transmission. I would take it back and tell them to make sure that ALL of the accessory and ignition wires are hooked to that remote starter.

OP
OP
Matthewhaughton

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks...i appreciate the input...i was steering towards taking it back to best buy but wanted some kind of input for my defense because I'm sue they're gonna try to say it's a mechanical issue and not they're problem...now i have some insight to argue my case with...thanks again

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks...i appreciate the input...i was steering towards taking it back to best buy but wanted some kind of input for my defense because I'm sue they're gonna try to say it's a mechanical issue and not they're problem...now i have some insight to argue my case with...thanks again
No problem, let us know what happens.

OP
OP
Matthewhaughton

Matthewhaughton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I made the appointment and took my truck in Saturday. The tech that installed it was very apologetic and explained to me that they may have to install relays which i already knew thanks to y'all. To make a long story short they installed two relays and now my AC compressor and radio come on with just starting the truck with the remote key fob. They also did not charge me anything for the labor or the relays. So in the end i am a happy camper now being able to start my truck and cool it down prior to getting in it with this hot Florida sun. Thanks again for the knowledge and help for me to be able to address this situation being informed. I cannot express my gratitude enough.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I made the appointment and took my truck in Saturday. The tech that installed it was very apologetic and explained to me that they may have to install relays which i already knew thanks to y'all. To make a long story short they installed two relays and now my AC compressor and radio come on with just starting the truck with the remote key fob. They also did not charge me anything for the labor or the relays. So in the end i am a happy camper now being able to start my truck and cool it down prior to getting in it with this hot Florida sun. Thanks again for the knowledge and help for me to be able to address this situation being informed. I cannot express my gratitude enough.
No problem, glad they got it taken care of for you