Remote tailgate install on canadian spec 2012 laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed tailgate hardware and ran wiring to TIPM (2 hrs total). As stated by other members mopar instructions cover up to 2011. Was concerned I might mess up so I took truck to dealer, where tech wired it to TIPM. Service dept charged me 1 hr (73 dollars).
This is what the tech wrote on the work order:
Removed TIPM cover, found pinout colours wrong for connector in both instructions and on dealer connect. Checked power feed out of tipm for lock and unlock, found pins in correct location. Could not find any description of lock harness wires. Installed red from kit to unlock and blaclk to lock. Tested fine, soldered wires and heat shrunk, reassembled tipm.
Hope this might help other DIYers.

JimE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installed tailgate hardware and ran wiring to TIPM (2 hrs total). As stated by other members mopar instructions cover up to 2011. Was concerned I might mess up so I took truck to dealer, where tech wired it to TIPM. Service dept charged me 1 hr (73 dollars).
This is what the tech wrote on the work order:
Removed TIPM cover, found pinout colours wrong for connector in both instructions and on dealer connect. Checked power feed out of tipm for lock and unlock, found pins in correct location. Could not find any description of lock harness wires. Installed red from kit to unlock and blaclk to lock. Tested fine, soldered wires and heat shrunk, reassembled tipm.
Hope this might help other DIYers.

Good info!

And the post more than indicates the problems techs at dealers run into all the time. I just received a Haynes manual that covers 2009-2012 Ram 1500s and 2500s and has the wiring diagrams for those years and models. There are in some cases remarkable differences between the years. Some of the wiring illustrated almost seems to be stupid. I've never ran into anything like them from Ford or GM.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want this mod. Didn't some simply run the wires to the harness by the driver's door?

Divi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wires on the TIPM were wrong to.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought my 2012 1500 Quad Cab Sport with 6k miles 2 days ago. Just ordered the tailgate lock kit 2 hours ago. Joined this site 2 minutes ago and it looks like it's already saved me a headache. lol

Thanks for that.