Remove running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn 2wd
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, been thinking about removing my running boards on my 2022 1500 2wd. It's the first truck I had with them, and I'm finding it a pain when getting out of my truck, having to swing my leg and foot over them and kind of sliding out of the truck/seat, and definitely don't need them getting in.
Just curious if anyone else here has removed theirs, and if so could you share some photos ?
Thanks guys

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have any photo's, but they are very easy to remove With your truck, there is probably 3 bolts per side where the brackets are bolted to. You can separate the boards from the brackets if want, but just removing the mounting bolts is pretty easy.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Running boards are a condition of marriage…grumbles
I had to put a set on for my wife as well. I don't mind the look of them. Easy to install and just as easy to remove. That one pick says it all. Only a few bolts on those studs.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to put a set on for my wife as well. I don't mind the look of them. Easy to install and just as easy to remove. That one pick says it all. Only a few bolts on those studs.
Yep. Mine is connected at both the mounts and pinch welds. Extremely sturdy. I have about 4” of lift…She is 5’10, but her and the daughters need them. I cant see spending Amp Research money on this.
1675988923279.jpeg

OP
OP
2014 Ram

2014 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn 2wd
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys. I like the look with them on but for me it's really a pain getting out of the truck since I don't need those to get in or out. But yesterday is the first time I washed my truck since purchasing it 4 weeks ago and they did come in handy when trying to wash the roof of the truck. I think they're going to stay on for now. Thank you gentlemen

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I found my boards on my prior Ram, a 2wd 2500, came in handy when rocks got stuck in my tires on my dirt road. Once I hit pavement and sped up, I always heard the loud bangs as the rocks dislodged and hit the boards. Saved countless dings in the side of my truck.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I like the look with them on but for me it's really a pain getting out of the truck since I don't need those to get in or out. But yesterday is the first time I washed my truck since purchasing it 4 weeks ago and they did come in handy when trying to wash the roof of the truck. I think they're going to stay on for now. Thank you gentlemen
I like the look without them, but they do protect the bottom sides of the truck.
I have wheel to wheel and the extra back part does come in handy for cleaning the back window and washing.

I can get in and out without them, but I notice I slide a bit on the seat doing that and was afraid of wearing it out.
So I just decided to use them by actually just using them as a step, once you get used to it you don't even think about it.

My wife can jump up in without them, but my mom and dad can't if I take them anywhere in the truck.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
They are real handy when the hair is white, mine looks lower than those

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm happy to see that you decided to keep them on. I had to add step bars to my 2010 Ram 1500 because I have short legs and had bad knees. They saved my truck from damage when I hit a large rock. Bent a step bar and had to replace it. No trips to the body shop.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have the OEM power boards on my 2500. Excellent solution as tall folks can turn them off if you want to. They are also up out of the way when off-roading.

In my case, I would have a hard time getting into the truck without them. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam. The floor height on a 2500 is 29". My foot would have to be waist high to get a purchase to get into the truck. The 1500s aren't as bad but it is still a hop for short folks.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I don't get all of the focus on running boards. I have a new 2500 Ram and just get in it. I am 72, so it requires some flexibility. My girl is tall and says running boards are optional. I have no plans to add them.