Removed Rear Panel to Swap out speaker and found this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I decided to swap my trucks door speakers yesterday. I removed the rear door panel. Everything seemed normal. Went ahead and removed the 6x9 and was just so surprised by what I found. Not in a good way. The speaker had water drops all over the back of it. I could not believe it. Checked inside door and it found water inside of it as well.

Removed the other rear panel and found more water on back of the speaker and inside the door. I then removed the passenger door panel and found the same thing. Water everywhere...rear of speaker and all over inside of door. It rained quite a bit earlier yesterday morning. I was only able to work on the drivers door this afternoon. It was pretty hot today and it was dry. It rained pretty hard early this evening again. .. just thinking about the inside of my doors and speakers being all wet just infuriates me.

How is this even possible. I have maybe 4500 kms on the clock. Brand new 2019 Ram 1500 Sport. Anybody else experience this. How did you go about remedying this mess.

View attachment 177094

View attachment 177094

View attachment 177096

View attachment 177097

View attachment 177099

20190817_124600.jpg

20190817_131734.jpg

20190817_133911.jpg

20190817_133921.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Condensation?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will be calling Fiat Chrysler in the morning. This is definitely not condensation. Dealing with the dealer is a pain in the ass though.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had the same thing on my passenger front door. I had already swapped speakers and it stopped working. All I can figure is my ******* didn’t have the window rolled up all the way when I pressure washed the truck. Since I have weather tech vent shades I must have missed that it wasn’t up all the way. I also did this once on the rear passenger window and didn’t notice till I was almost done. Thankfully nothing was harmed.

Sent from an undisclosed location in Iraq

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update on my posting:
Called FCA this morning and opened up a case file..just in case. Then called the service manager at my dealership. He said to me that I have nothing to worry about. I was not convinced with his
explanation. Next I called a guy who performed some leak tests on my 2016 Ram 1500. I, by accident found some wetness in my rear headrest while detailing my seats. He found a pin hole in the rear glass behind the top rubber seal. So I called him and he said to me that those vehicles were designed like that. He said the doors are considered a Wet Zone and the glass is not waterproof to the outside elements. Water runs down the glass and drains down the inside of the door and out the bottom of the drain holes. I still find it crazy it wets so much of the door channel. He said I can purchase a basket for my speakers to protect it from getting wet. The service manager said to make sure that the drain hole tape has been removed at the factory. I will be checking the bottom of the doors.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Being a stereo installer for 15 years, this is a normal sight. The water runs down the window and into the door, the window seal isn't water tight, but is more of a guide.

The water will / should drain down inside the door and out of the drain holes along the bottom of the door panel then to the ground. If the drain holes get plugged then the door will start to fill ( i usually check mine with a piece of wire 2-3 times a year )

Now if the water was in the from of the speaker then you have a problem.

Not sure about our trucks, but most vehicles will have a little hood over the speaker to guide the water away from going inside the voice coil.

Take it for what its worth, but I wouldn't be worried about it. Especially since you mentioned it rained earlier in the day. But this is yet another reason to undercoat the insides of the door panels. If fresh rain water can get in there, so can't salty rust causing water.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
[emoji2357] that’s all I’ve got.

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Damion,
Thanks for your feed back. I guess I can relax about this and enjoy my new sound. Going to see if I can purchase some speaker baskets to protect them.
Cheers.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks for your response Michael H.
Cheers.

The response is more for the engineers who have designed water to enter the doors. I honestly never knew this happened. It rains like a sonofabitch down in Georgia where I am. Makes me think I need said baskets. I’m glad your speaker didn’t crap out like mine did. I had just swapped in new kicker 6x9’s and thankfully crutchfield has a 60 day no questions asked exchange policy.

Hope you didn’t think I was commenting in your direction. No offense meant. (Since we haven’t established rapport and this day and age is very hurt feelings prone I feel the need to clarify the direction of my comment. Of course text also doesn’t have tone so I could be wrong and you aren’t offended. [emoji2369])

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The response is more for the engineers who have designed water to enter the doors. I honestly never knew this happened. It rains like a sonofabitch down in Georgia where I am. Makes me think I need said baskets. I’m glad your speaker didn’t crap out like mine did. I had just swapped in new kicker 6x9’s and thankfully crutchfield has a 60 day no questions asked exchange policy.

Hope you didn’t think I was commenting in your direction. No offense meant. (Since we haven’t established rapport and this day and age is very hurt feelings prone I feel the need to clarify the direction of my comment. Of course text also doesn’t have tone so I could be wrong and you aren’t offended. [emoji2369])

Michael, No worries brother no offense taken!!!

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Michael, No worries brother no offense taken!!!

Good to know. Sadly in this day and age voicing one’s opinion tends to create animosity amongst the uneducated *******. I miss things 20 years ago. Hence why I’m going to nomad from place to place when I can leave Georgia in 4.5 years. 1 I get bored staying in one place to long and 2 most people can’t stand me for long lol

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I never realized the doors were made to drain like that till I saw an episode of Motorweek that discussed it!
Pat Goss claims it's a good thing...

KBoltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I never realized the doors were made to drain like that till I saw an episode of Motorweek that discussed it!
Pat Goss claims it's a good thing...
Because these days, Motor Week are paid shills. Not like when they honestly tested vehicles and slammed them when they were screwed up.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because these days, Motor Week are paid shills. Not like when they honestly tested vehicles and slammed them when they were screwed up.

The old motorweeks are great, I still like watching those. Although you have to admit, the cars back then that were bad, were really bad. Or at least they appeared to be in their tests, some of those acceleration times were ridiculously awful (and dangerous) and the same for their braking. There's a lot of cars I don't like today, but I don't think any of them could come close compared to what was around back in the 80's (the bad cars at least, lots of cars I do like from back then).

I haven't watched much of their newer stuff, do they at least give some cons still? Every car is certainly capable of having those.

RAMan92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
My Hummer H3 did this, it was normal for water to get inside your door, it just drains out eventually, I understand the frustration though.

Rambutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i know we are talking about "Ram".but the truck i had before this was a "Avalanche".my was so bad ,when you open the door you can hear the water "Sloshing"i bought speaker baffels.like what your talking about.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There should never be enough water in the door to be able to hear is sloshing. If your Avalanche did that it means the drain holes weren't working. I remember when speakers used to come with the plastic half baskets to protect them from water. That was back in the 80's and 90's.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Just keep the drain holes clean and clear of debris. It wouldn't hurt to get a little rust preventative like fluid film once a year along the bottom of the door where the water exits .