removing 7 pin connector from factory mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a curt t-harness to add a 4 pin connector and need to know how to remove the factory
7 pin connector from its mount

I see a tab on one side and im squeezing it but I cant get it to go.. is there a trick to it??

any help is appreciated

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
You're on the right track, it may just take some serious tug o' war to get the connector out of the shell. I have to work on my tail lights tomorrow after work so will take a look at my connector while I'm at it...

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
I just installed one of those on my truck. I did have to lower the spare tire. Yes, push the tab and wiggle-jiggle-pull the connector out. It was not too bad on mine, but it was an effort. When I put the harness in, I put a dab of dielectric grease on each of the pins to make sure it comes apart if needed in the future (and to keep the corrosion down). Good luck.

OP
OP
Ramsportrocks

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok thanks guys.. just wanted to make sure there wasn't another tab i was missing.

cold again here now so I will have to wait for another warm day.. was planning on lowering the spare so I could grease the cable so I will just do them both at the same time..

thanks again for the replies

OP
OP
Ramsportrocks

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
finally was nice enough this past Saturday..

lowered the spare and it came unplugged with no effort at all.. I guess with the spare in place I was putting side pressure
without realizing it so it wouldn't come off

so I installed the T-harness ,tied everything up and then installed the under tailgate strip
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60-Inch-Pickup-Truck-SUV-LED-Tailgate-Light-Bar-Brake-Running-Signal-Reverse/132895701859?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
and connected the wire for the back up lights

I like this particular strip because it is rigid with 4 attachment points with 3M tape that pivot so it will
lay flush.. ALSO the main thing is it clears the spare tire port so you can lower it and raise it without having to
flex the light to get the tool in

had one on my 97 SS/T and glad to have one on my express..