Removing dealer sticker adhesive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildfyre116

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 V8
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took the dealer sticker off my tailgate right when I got it, but it left behind some of their glue/adhesive. I've never run into anything that is this stubborn in coming off. I've tried all sorts of things, and many of them twice. Is there a product you swear by that'll remove any kind of adhesive without screwing up the paint? The name brand I most recently tried (that did nothing) was Goo-Gone.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
3M spray adhesive remover is my go-to product for removing left over adhesive from trim and badges.

If there are some residual "dirt lines" left after using the 3M product, I get out my eraser wheel, use it to clean up the leftovers and then give the area a quick wax and polish.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thinner, just lightly. Then use compound rub. Wax and buff.

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just removed the dealer installed vinyl wrap on my rear quarter panels yesterday... the vinyl came off easy, the glue underneath.... not so much. Goo-gone was useless, same for WD-40..... 3M's Adhesive Remover worked great.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3M's good stuff!!!! Don't forget to wax the area after you use the 3M.
Jay

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have found the biggest trick to any of the adhesive removers is to give them time to "soak" into what you want removed. Don't rush it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I use 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol to clean any adhesive off. Use it to clean your smart phone, you'll be surprised how dirty they get. It also works good to clean something before you put stickers on or paint it.

OP
OP
Wildfyre116

Wildfyre116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol to clean any adhesive off. Use it to clean your smart phone, you'll be surprised how dirty they get. It also works good to clean something before you put stickers on or paint it.

I use isopropyl alcohol on my phone screen every few days. You're right; those things get filthy. I think everyone knows how dirty they are but until you actually clean it off and look at what was pulled...blegh!

I've got some "prep-all" I use when I want to clean something before paint/stickers/etc. but when that runs out I'll give the isopropyl a try.

OP
OP
Wildfyre116

Wildfyre116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3M spray adhesive remover is my go-to product for removing left over adhesive from trim and badges.

If there are some residual "dirt lines" left after using the 3M product, I get out my eraser wheel, use it to clean up the leftovers and then give the area a quick wax and polish.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! Sounds like the 3M spray adhesive remover is the vote for my next try. I'll definitely make sure to buff or at least quick polish and wax once it's gone.

mason mank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

+1 on this. For me it works better than goo gone or wd40, no need to let it sit, wet a cloth and rub away.