Removing glove box to change cabin filter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have owned a lot of new vehicles and I will say this glove box was harder to remove than any I have ever had before. It always sucks when you feel like you are going to break something to remove it before it finally pops off. For the record less than 5000 miles and my cabin filter is pretty gross already. I guess a trip to Moab will do that. Surprisingly enough my engine air cleaner still looked new.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
yeah.. i was pretty annoyed at the difficulty of removing the glove box. IT was that little piece of string that got me. i mean, who has hands small enough to keep hold of that thing while putting it all back? lol.

I didnt replace the filter though, just took the old one out. A/C blows much harder without one..

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Genoa garage has filter kits that attach to the cowl ,to pre filter the air before reaching the interior They work . Also K&N makes a washable cabin air filter for our trucks.

OP
OP
retired

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah.. i was pretty annoyed at the difficulty of removing the glove box. IT was that little piece of string that got me. i mean, who has hands small enough to keep hold of that thing while putting it all back? lol.

I didnt replace the filter though, just took the old one out. A/C blows much harder without one..
I am a believer in the filters. I know many don't care but I notice less dust on my dash and it has to help filter some out of my lungs :).

OP
OP
retired

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Genoa garage has filter kits that attach to the cowl ,to pre filter the air before reaching the interior They work . Also K&N makes a washable cabin air filter for our trucks.
I will look into the pre filter.

Blademan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 and 2018 3500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Try clamping a needle nose locking plier to the string before you remove the tab from the glove box. It works well.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Consider yourselves grateful... on the Land Cruiser I came from the cabin filter was behind the recirc door. After every power off cycle, this door opens which blocks access to the cabin filter. The unknowing (including many Toyota techs!) will force it open, breaking the actuator armature, an expensive repair.

What's sad is the previous generation Land Cruiser had a nifty tabbed access door that was easy to use. I'm sure cost engineering eliminated the cost of this part... Bottom line: ease of service doesn't sell trucks on the showroom floor.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Having a cabin filter is a great improvement from older cars/trucks!

On my previous truck (98 chevy 1 ton) I had to replace my evap or condenser (can`t remember what it was called, was underneath the dash/firewall) and was so packed with dog hair it looked like it had a sweater..lol

A tip for fellow dog owners, the tech advised me unless it`s mega-hot out, run the AC with the vent open, not closed loop, that way you can avoid sucking a lot of dog hair into the filter or the unit itself on older trucks!

On this truck I run a K&N cabin filter, Ram is so cheap they didn`t install one at the factory/dealer!

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think finesse is the best option for removing that thing. Braun and lack of patience will likely get you a new one. But, the little string can be frustrating for sure - especially when that little ******* snaps all the way back inside there!?! I had my daughter (17) hook it up last time I had it out and she did it with ease. Hmmph, so now she's my new air filter changer!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
FYI on that recoil string ! Before you take the string off the glove box tie a string to it ! A simple knot. Remove the string and tie the other end off. I use the door hinge ! DO the CAF swap, put glove box back in reconnect the recoil string remove the tie down string. Or remove the tie down string while holding the recoil string.
Works for me
as for air flow when little drop there is the problems it may save is worth it, when yo see all the crap on the CAF when removed !
I will do another air flow test when the temps get above 30 again lol
My first airflow test had errors, I found my meter readings changed if i was holding it in place and moved! Next test I will tape it in place!

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If K&N makes a washable cabin filter, I's be interested to see how it goes in. The paper filter is quite troublesome to install so I'm interested to see how a nearly inflexible filter goes in.

gmarshen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tie a heavy fishing weight to the cable which keeps it from snapping back into the dash opening.

Rob j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry it’s there to get dirty that’s it’s job.
Amazon sells them and you can get a reusable one from K&N.

Rocketjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased a cabin filter from Rockauto and after removing the glovebox I must’ve spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to open the door, it’s sealed how weird is that? (2014 Laramie). Guess they forgot to cut it out hence still have filter in the box

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I purchased a cabin filter from Rockauto and after removing the glovebox I must’ve spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to open the door, it’s sealed how weird is that? (2014 Laramie). Guess they forgot to cut it out hence still have filter in the box
That was common on many RAMS . I had to cut out the opening on my 2015. Several here had to do it. Several videos on You Tube as well as here on how to do it ! You need to purchase the CAF door to cover the hole. On E Bay ,Amazon of for Genos garage you can get the door a CAR about $10.00 to $30.00
Check out videos below

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RAM+cabin+air+filter

I was shopping for a CAF and found the door and CAF at a great deal so I can have a spare CAF door

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....l1313&_nkw=RAM+Cabin+aif+filter+kit&_sacat=0

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having a cabin filter is a great improvement from older cars/trucks!

On my previous truck (98 chevy 1 ton) I had to replace my evap or condenser (can`t remember what it was called, was underneath the dash/firewall) and was so packed with dog hair it looked like it had a sweater..lol

A tip for fellow dog owners, the tech advised me unless it`s mega-hot out, run the AC with the vent open, not closed loop, that way you can avoid sucking a lot of dog hair into the filter or the unit itself on older trucks!

On this truck I run a K&N cabin filter, Ram is so cheap they didn`t install one at the factory/dealer!
If I'm not mistaken even the filter we have doesn't filter when it's on recirculation

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I'm not mistaken even the filter we have doesn't filter when it's on recirculation
the air filter is on the inlet of the blower, the recirculation damper is upstream of it so all of the air goes through the filter regardless if it's recirc or not.