Removing hard water spots on glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rparker762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
So I bought my 13 RAM in the rain so I did not see the hard water spots on the glass. Every window has them and they are bad. I have tried different glass cleaners to no avail and also have clayed them which usually works but this time it didn't. Even tried a lemon. Didn't work. Starting to think it may be some type of degreaser used by the dealer....

Thoughts?

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I bought my 13 RAM in the rain so I did not see the hard water spots on the glass. Every window has them and they are bad. I have tried different glass cleaners to no avail and also have clayed them which usually works but this time it didn't. Even tried a lemon. Didn't work. Starting to think it may be some type of degreaser used by the dealer....

Thoughts?
Chemical guys water spot RX. It'll wipe them away like nothing, the stuff is magic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Igl delete. It is an acid and you can only get it with a certification but it is a phenomenal product. I use it on paint as well. Find someone who uses it and see if you can get a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
I have had good luck with machine polishing to remove water spots on glass just like you would your paint.
Orange Pad & Correcting polish......

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Griot's synthetic clay thing on my glass when I wash the she-beast. Works like a charm.

nTgZp1D.jpg

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Ceriglass, worked amazing on my windshield

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are a number of good options here and all will work. But for the most part and decent polish with a polisher will get them out. Orange pad would be best. Griots all in one isn't my favorite but it doesn't dust and will work great on glass.

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used Bon-Ami for difficult windshield cleaning problems. The 1886 formula is what I use. GM used to recommend it. Just wet down the windshield and sprinkle it on like a powdered donut, then scrub with a cloth. It might take a couple of applications. It will even take off RainX. You can feel it digging in as you scrub and it work like a miracle. Never scratched any of my automotive glass. In fact the slogan is "never scratched yet" with a picture of a little fuzzy chick.

atc250r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Years ago I was told by a detailer at a car dealer I worked at that for stubborn water stains on windshields they used 0000 steel wool. My 2015 Ram had something get on the windshield before I got it and when I run the wipers (especially at night) you can see what looks like hard water stains. I'm going to try the steel wool trick at some point . Here's a video of stumbled across about it.

Of course you should try a small spot in a corner first.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The steel wool does work and I had good luck with it, but then I found water spot RX and ditched the wool. Works way faster with little effort, all you need is a towel and any and every water spot will disappear in seconds and your glass will have a beautiful freshly polished look, and it's pretty cheap

wespentecost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Cheap route, vinegar water mix. Dry with newspaper. Sounds crazy but it works if you're on a budget.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cheap route, vinegar water mix. Dry with newspaper. Sounds crazy but it works if you're on a budget.

This works for mild spots but if they are super hard baked on spots it does nothing. I had crazy baked on spots from making the mistake of washing my truck in 100 degree sun ( before I got into detailing) and this method did literally zero. I then added lemon juice to the mix because I read that online and sprayed and let it sit and scrubbed yellow scotch bright, also nothing. Tried razor blades which took forever and only removed about 30%. For super hard spots you need chemical abrasives

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or as Adam's stated, the longer method that requires a da and time is polish like you would a paint correction

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
17 bucks and with that bottle you can do all your glass about 20 times
ae341e98b52fd068b8c1ecf46697b7ee.jpg

wespentecost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This works for mild spots but if they are super hard baked on spots it does nothing. I had crazy baked on spots from making the mistake of washing my truck in 100 degree sun ( before I got into detailing) and this method did literally zero. I then added lemon juice to the mix because I read that online and sprayed and let it sit and scrubbed yellow scotch bright, also nothing. Tried razor blades which took forever and only removed about 30%. For super hard spots you need chemical abrasives

Gotcha...our water at the home I pay for I do not live in (divorce on going) is very hard water. At work I park around 3 cooling towers than rain all kinds of nasty on the paint and glass. It etches the glass if I don't keep it clean.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotcha...our water at the home I pay for I do not live in (divorce on going) is very hard water. At work I park around 3 cooling towers than rain all kinds of nasty on the paint and glass. It etches the glass if I don't keep it clean.

Sorry about the divorce brotha. But you are correct the vinegar water solution does work as well as the vinegar water lemon juice on spots that are not super baked on by the hot sun. Once they get baked on by the sun the only thing that has worked for me is what I posted, but then again most people aren't as stupid as I was to wash there truck in 100 degree solid sun lol

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had a detail shop for years. We would use low fume Muratic acid. Home depot about $7 per gallon. Figure 3 parts water to one part acid. wipe on with a towel and let sit for a minute then wipe it off with same towel. Rinse well with plain water. This method also works well in paint to remove old wax and water spots.