Renewable Diesel Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I just read this just published Diesel Forum.og article on Renewable Diesel Fuel. Anyone here have any knowledge about this, where it is available, etc? Thanks!

"After running Renewable Diesel our vehicles for a while, I noticed that I was not taking my trucks out of service for routine maintenance as often as before the switch. When I was using other fuels, I had to take the trucks out to do a DPF service every 6 to 8 months. We’ve been using Neste MY for about a year, and we have never had to clean them yet.

Gustavo Deleon, vice president, 18 Trucking

Last edited:

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Sounds very promising. I'd switch in a second if it was available to me locally.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Sounds very promising. I'd switch in a second if it was available to me locally.
I have reached out to Neste about availability and will let you know what I hear from them

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Interesting, but I don't understand how they get around the fact that burning any carbon based fuel, even a renewable carbon fuel, will add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. As far as I am aware, the only fuel that will burn in even a modified diesel without adding C02 to the atmosphere is to burn hydrogen. There's no carbon to burn.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, but I don't understand how they get around the fact that burning any carbon based fuel, even a renewable carbon fuel, will add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. As far as I am aware, the only fuel that will burn in even a modified diesel without adding C02 to the atmosphere is to burn hydrogen. There's no carbon to burn.
When renewable fuels are manufactured, if they use atmospheric carbon as the feedstock, then it’s a circular process.

Say for instance you make biodiesel from vegetable oil; the vegetation earlier captured that carbon from the air.

I don’t see biofuels as scaling up enough myself. A more direct process whereby wind or solar is used to operate atmospheric capture and conversion factories is needed.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Renewable diesel and biodiesel are two different processes. You can run renewable at 100%. You can only run biodiesel as a blend for current vehicles. Cummins is designed to run up to a 20% blemd.

I believe Califunny is the only state where renewable diesel is being sold to the consumer. Our 76 (Phillips66) stations are or have switched to it. 76's refinery is in Noerthern Ca and will change to 100% renewable. Neste also has a refinery in Ca and is distributing via adding a renewable island on Shell station properties, so far only in northern CA.

There are scattered renewable resellers in other states but I believe they only sell to trucking fleets that sore their own fuel. There's a lot of info on google.

I have just switched to 100% renewable diesel, getting it at the 76 stations. It will take a while for my trucks to be 100% as they were 3/4 full of carbon diesel when I switched and I drive them very little. Expect to be 100% about October this year.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
When renewable fuels are manufactured, if they use atmospheric carbon as the feedstock, then it’s a circular process.

Say for instance you make biodiesel from vegetable oil; the vegetation earlier captured that carbon from the air.

I don’t see biofuels as scaling up enough myself. A more direct process whereby wind or solar is used to operate atmospheric capture and conversion factories is needed.
Renewable diesel passes the wokers' Green New Deal tests because it is not carbon (fossil) fuel. Renewable can keep trains, freighters, truckers, and our Cummins running forever.

Or better yet, vote Brandon and the wokers out of office and return to being energy independent

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
@John Jensen

I do agree with your thoughts on leadership and direction. Forgive my droning on about imprecise language. These are all carbon fuels mentioned, and all of biomass origin. Fossil fuel is a different distinction in that we consume yesteryear’s production in the present time frame.

Whether the product derived is “Bio” or “renewable” is another triumph of marketing over accurate description. Considering both are of biomass origin and neither is more or less sustainable considering the feedstock similarity. However I can understand the predicament of someone trying to sell biofuel and attempting to explain the difference between product A lacking some necessary constituents for engine requirements and product B which meets all the requirements.

At the end of all that, I think sustainable is a more precise descriptor of what is needed. Meaning can it be produced at the rate of consumption.

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just read this just published Diesel Forum.og article on Renewable Diesel Fuel. Anyone here have any knowledge about this, where it is available, etc? Thanks!

"After running Renewable Diesel our vehicles for a while, I noticed that I was not taking my trucks out of service for routine maintenance as often as before the switch. When I was using other fuels, I had to take the trucks out to do a DPF service every 6 to 8 months. We’ve been using Neste MY for about a year, and we have never had to clean them yet.

Gustavo Deleon, vice president, 18 Trucking

But where did you buy it at.

Tomd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Renewable diesel and biodiesel are two different processes. You can run renewable at 100%. You can only run biodiesel as a blend for current vehicles. Cummins is designed to run up to a 20% blemd.

I believe Califunny is the only state where renewable diesel is being sold to the consumer. Our 76 (Phillips66) stations are or have switched to it. 76's refinery is in Noerthern Ca and will change to 100% renewable. Neste also has a refinery in Ca and is distributing via adding a renewable island on Shell station properties, so far only in northern CA.

There are scattered renewable resellers in other states but I believe they only sell to trucking fleets that sore their own fuel. There's a lot of info on google.

I have just switched to 100% renewable diesel, getting it at the 76 stations. It will take a while for my trucks to be 100% as they were 3/4 full of carbon diesel when I switched and I drive them very little. Expect to be 100% about October this year.
What year is your truck? I’m finding it difficult to find regular #2 but if this new stuff from 76 is ok to run in a 2017 6.7 I will use it. Thanks

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
What year is your truck? I’m finding it difficult to find regular #2 but if this new stuff from 76 is ok to run in a 2017 6.7 I will use it. Thanks
As my signature shows, I have a 2016 and a 2020.
Renewable diesel is 100% compatible with fossil diesel and ok to run in any diesel engine

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
As my signature shows, I have a 2016 and a 2020.
Renewable diesel is 100% compatible with fossil diesel and ok to run in any diesel engine

Still envious of you being in San Diego--and for not only your divine climate there. Here in AZ the renewable is not available to the general public.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I’ve been running Chevron renewable blend and have been happy noticing longer times between regen cycles.

Also, Chevron here in the Inland Empire has been substantially lower earlier in the diesel price fall off, plus with their app, earning up to 1.00 off per 25 gallons does not hurt either. And it doesn't take long to earn the discount with how much I drive.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I’ve been running Chevron renewable blend and have been happy noticing longer times between regen cycles.

Also, Chevron here in the Inland Empire has been substantially lower earlier in the diesel price fall off, plus with their app, earning up to 1.00 off per 25 gallons does not hurt either. And it doesn't take long to earn the discount with how much I drive.

You guys in CA infuriate me. Renewable is not available to the general public in AZ. :(

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
But Arizona has #2 Diesel at every 3rd fuel stop

at first Biodiesel was so much cheaper than #2 diesel, it was going to go over real big, now Biodiesel is a Dime higher than than #2 diesel.
besides that, biodiesel is dirty, it plugs fuel filters quickly

I hunt online for #2 diesel when i am traveling