Repairing an old Craftsman air impact…..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
….that it appears I can no longer get parts for it seems like. I have an old Craftsman 1/2 drive air impact, part number 235199050 that I bought way back in 2005 that all the sudden got to the point to where it would run even if you weren’t depressing the trigger. Is there a way to repair these without replacing parts or am I just doomed to just tossing it in the trash and buying a new one?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Maybe there's some numbers on it that would allow you to cross-ref who actually made it?

You hate to get rid of some of the old school well made craftsman stuff. About 8-10yrs ago when Sears stores were still a thing, I made the mistake of exchanging my broken 3/8" craftsman ratchet that I had bought ~25yrs ago. The tool dept guy exchanged it for a refurbished one out of a random drawer by the cash register. The one I got in exchange is junk in comparison. I guess where I'm going with this is, I should have researched it a bit and bought a rebuild kit for my old US made one I turned in.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would open it up and ck. it out.Maybe just needs a little cleaning and grease/oil.
As a matter of fact, hopefully that’s all that’s wrong with it because the day I was using it when it started to act up, all I did was take it apart to investigate but I didn’t have anything nor the time to actually clean it and re oil it before I put it back together because I carry it on my semi being that it has onboard air and I don’t have a big enough air compressor in the garage to run it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first 3 digits, usually separated by a . tell you the manufacturer. If yours is 235.199050, it was made by Ingersoll Rand.
Great news. I sent ingersoll rand an email and they said there is replacement parts for this impact so if fully disassembling this thing to clean it and re-lube it doesn’t fix my issue then I’m glad to know I can still get replacement parts and not have to just toss it in the trash and buy a new one so thanks again for shedding light on this tool’s real manufacturer.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Maybe there's some numbers on it that would allow you to cross-ref who actually made it?

You hate to get rid of some of the old school well made craftsman stuff. About 8-10yrs ago when Sears stores were still a thing, I made the mistake of exchanging my broken 3/8" craftsman ratchet that I had bought ~25yrs ago. The tool dept guy exchanged it for a refurbished one out of a random drawer by the cash register. The one I got in exchange is junk in comparison. I guess where I'm going with this is, I should have researched it a bit and bought a rebuild kit for my old US made one I turned in.
Lowes will exchange craftsman hand tools if they have one in stock.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers sockets and extensions I can see but a whole air impact gun, die grinder or air ratchet?
Thats why I mentioned hand tools. Craftsman never had a lifetime warranty on power tools. I dont think anyone else had one either.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats why I mentioned hand tools. Craftsman never had a lifetime warranty on power tools. I dont think anyone else had one either.
Oh…. My bad, you had me confused when you started talking about Lowe’s exchanging hand tools when the subject matter is about air tools or power tools.