Replace OEM tailgate camera with generic backup camera 2018 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently removed my tailgate from my 2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman and in the process lost my backup camera. I have found some details on removing and rerouting the OEM camera from the tailgate, but I wanted to leave the tailgate (mostly) intact and make use other style of camera mounts. So here is what I did so that others may profit.

What I wanted is an adapter to hook up power and composite camera output to the 10 pin connector that the tailgate previously plugged into. I didn't find anyone else who had done this and documented it. I did find 2 suppliers of products that looked like they would fit the bill for $150-$250.
https://brandmotion.com/product/ram-factory-tailgate-harness-with-bullet-camera-2017-2018-9002-7553/
https://camerasource.com/automotive...amera-kit-plug-play-commercial-grade-cam.html

The problem is I am cheap and like to DIY. My solution cost about $45 and was better suited to my purpose.

From googleing the following link I learned the part numbers for the 10 pin connector and pins.
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/11268-2015-ram-back-up-camera/?p=179976

10 pin connector - Mouser - 694-54241000-B
pins - Mouser - 829-13624759-L (4 needed, order extra)

I ordered 2 connectors and 10 pins (mistakes happen). This came to about $25 with shipping, tax, etc.

Then I ordered a cheap backup camera to suit my purposes which was about $18 with tax.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLHH7SF

Then I went digging through my parts supply for a power connector and phono plug that matches up to the camera that I ordered. Here are the parts laid out ready to go:

IMG_20210920_143242.jpg

I am not going into details on the crimping and putting together this style of connector. Hopefully someone else has covered that. You have to crimp them well for them to fit in the appropriate holes and lock into place. My goal here is to document that this is doable and provide the appropriate pinout. Here is the connector with the pins crimped on.

IMG_20210920_143754.jpg

I had some pictures of the it all wired up, but it was wired wrong. When I got it right I was too excited to go back and take more pictures. Here is the end result.
IMG_20210920_164838.jpg

I know the relevant wiring is hidden, but that is the point. I popped the tailgate connector off the plastic plate and popped the new 10 pin connector on with all the extra connectors and wiring taped up behind it. Here is the most important picture for this post:
2018 RAM 1500 Tailgate - 3rd party camera.png

Pins 1 and 4 are used for the camera and pins 3 and 6 are used for power.

As a new user here I would like to thank everyone who posts useful information such as this!

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've thought about trying to replace the factory one with an HD camera in the factory handle, but never put too much thought in...good job!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'd be curious how this would look on the oem 8.4 screen...
Me too, its capable of higher resolution than the factory camera I think...HD OTA channels look clearer on it than the factory camera does.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Ive installed an aftermarket tailgate handle type camera to my factory stereo (uconnect 5.0) I just had to turn it on with alpha obd and then wire the center rca connector pin (or signal) to pin #31 and the shield wire to pin #32 on the back of the stereo... I wired power to my trailer harness power. but many use the cig lighter plug. total cost was $70 because I had alpha obd already. In my case the stereo resolution is pretty low and the limiting factor. it doesnt even allow a widescreen picture.