Replace VG Turbo with FG Turbo without violating emission requirements?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gakimoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I have a 2013 RAM 3500 with HO 6.7 Cummins. Truck has about 110K on it. It needs a new turbo / actuator. The truck is completely stock.

I have discovered numerous articles claiming the stock Variable Geometry Turbo is a great but complicate piece of equipment. As such it suffers from durability problems and the article recommends switching a Fixed Geometry Turbo. That sounded great until I spoke with a local shop who does this work but was informed the FG Turbo does not support EGR and therefore my exhaust system also needs to be changed. This change would provide my truck a more durable turbo solution but it would no longer be emissions compliant.

Does anyone on this forum know of a way to move to a fixed geometry turbo without violating the emission requirements? Are emissions compliance and Fixed Geometry Turbos mutually exclusive?

Thanks is advance for your feedback.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Whether an engine has an EGR system has nothing to do if the turbo is variable or fixed geometry. Only reason why that shop would have told you that is they don't have a tune for a fixed geometry turbo with EGR(along with the associated DOC, DPF, SCR).
Any turbo longevity will depend heavily on proper cool down when really working the engine.
I'm guessing the same people that recommend to get away from a VGT, also would have you go back to mechanical injection too.

Bob Clogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Watching, what did you end up doing. My '14 kept throwing loss com with Turbo Control then finally threw a exceeded learned limit. Now no turbo no exhaust brake.

cwendel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Egr system will not work correctly with a FG turbo. The drive pressure will not be high enough as the exhaust pressure through the egr needs to be higher than the boost pressure or the boost pressure simply bypasses the engine and goes to spin the turbo. To me, that would be bad. The vgt allows for the exhaust pressure to be raised higher than boost pressure and the egr to function.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk