Replacement Air Line for Airlift 1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Airlift 1000 bags on my truck. Installed them a couple of years ago to help when I'm pulling a trailer for work. With Covid, I haven't had to use them in a while. A couple of weeks ago, I was hooking up the trailer. I aired up the bags with a bicycle pump, like I had before, but while adding air, I heard a loud hisssssssssssss.

Now, I haven't had the chance to crawl under the truck to see what happened - was it the bag, or the air line, I don't know yet. What I'm curious about... have you guys replaced the airlines with something other than what comes with the kit? Something that is more studier/stonger than the supplied lines?

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to see what is actually leaking. The airlines are probably fine, but the connectors have a bad rep for rusting and failing. I have the same bags, and will be replacing the connectors in spring with something more robust.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Use 1/4" air brake tubing if you need to replace the air lines.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Airlift 1000 bags on my truck. Installed them a couple of years ago to help when I'm pulling a trailer for work. With Covid, I haven't had to use them in a while. A couple of weeks ago, I was hooking up the trailer. I aired up the bags with a bicycle pump, like I had before, but while adding air, I heard a loud hisssssssssssss.

Now, I haven't had the chance to crawl under the truck to see what happened - was it the bag, or the air line, I don't know yet. What I'm curious about... have you guys replaced the airlines with something other than what comes with the kit? Something that is more studier/stonger than the supplied lines?
It could be tha air bags. I have line in for a little over a year and on started to leak. Contacted air lift and they sent me a replacement

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced my 1000s with Timbrens no more leaks for me.

OP
OP
EagleChief

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It could be tha air bags. I have line in for a little over a year and on started to leak. Contacted air lift and they sent me a replacement
I hope it isn't the air bags. I'd much rather replace a line.
You have to see what is actually leaking. The airlines are probably fine, but the connectors have a bad rep for rusting and failing. I have the same bags, and will be replacing the connectors in spring with something more robust.
I didn't think about one of the fittings giving out. I can remember reading about using some upgraded lines, but couldn't find the threads again to see what people were upgrading.

I still haven't had a chance to look at what's going on. Could just be a line slipped off a fitting, who knows? I really need to check it out. Thanks for the replies, though. I'll report back. May try and crawl under it at lunch today and see if I can spot anything without getting too dirty. :)

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it is one of your bags and you need to replace them I know they sell the 1000hd bags now. They are black instead of the red and maybe 20 bucks maybe a little more than the regular red 1000 bags.

OP
OP
EagleChief

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally got a chance to crawl under the truck to isolate my air leak. Had my 5 yr old son use the bicycle pump to try and air up the bags while I slid around under the truck to listen for air. I think I've isolated it to the top of my driver side bag. Now, I'll have to pull the fender well liner and see if I can get in there for a closer and better look. Who knows when that'll be. :)

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope you have found the issue. Just take note, the 1000HDs have Schrader valves on the tops of the bags where the 1000s have slid on nipple fittings. I have the 1000HDs and Wireless One on my 1500 and it does come with different airlines than the 1000s I had on a Grand Cherokee. If you do upgrade, you will need to get that new Schrader valve fitting connected to your existing airline, or rerun new airlines with the fittings already connected.

OP
OP
EagleChief

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to try and pull the fender liner this weekend and check out the issue. Weather is supposed to be nice and may need to pull a trailer or two soon, so I need to get it fixed. I did look up the 1000HD bags and I like the thought of those. I'm not sure why/how I didn't see those when I purchased the 1000 bags. Depending on what the current issue is, I may order those and install them.

OP
OP
EagleChief

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update... Pulled the fender to gain access to the top of the driver side bag. It wasn't the line after all... the bag had split. Close to the top of the bag, there was a huge split in it. Just below where the bag starts to roll for the top. I didn't get a picture, but maybe when I pull them out. I went ahead and ordered a replacement setup, but went with the 1000HD kit this time. It should arrive today.