Replacement Fuel Pump/ Sending unit... aftermarket/OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys, Lately I have been having issues with the fuel level gauge on my 19' classic (68k miles) For a few weeks the gas gauge has had a mind of its own and is all over the place. I have been resetting the trip and filling up at 200 miles. Last week I got in my truck and knew I had about 3/4 tank the day before but it only read 1/4... I commute 50 miles a day for work and for 3 days it stayed on 1/4, Today I filled up and it only read 3/4 tank. I have read that there is a issue with the fuel gauge, I plan on dropping the tank and repairing it. My question do I go with a OEM pump/sending unit or is there a better aftermarket option?

Thanks,
Rob

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First I would double-check the wiring and connectors, and wiggle the appropriate fuse/s. Wiggle any connectors at the top of the pump. I might also attach a jumper wire with aligator clips from the frame to the fuel pump assembly ground ...or at least verify with a meter that the ground at the connector is 'good' ..and see if that makes any difference. Before you dig into the job. It may not make a difference, but worth 20-30 minutes of troubleshooting in case you happen find a rodent-chewed wire down to 1 strand of copper, or a corroded connector wire or what have you. Are there any Youtube 'fixes' for the fuel gauge?

2019 is pretty new. Lot of miles left. If it were me, I wouldn't consider anything other than OEM pump/gauge assembly on a 2019. Esp a critical part ...when you commute 50 miles a day. But that's just me. 8x out of 10 OEM beats aftermarket on quality from my experience. Yeah, it's a lot more $, but you can just about guarantee after you put a Mopar part on, the gauge will read correctly and it'll work fine, presumably for many years. These days with aftermarket parts being what they are, gauge variability wouldn't surprise me in the least. You'll find that wrestling with a fuel tank (fuel will slosh to one side and go off-balance), and changing the fuel pump can be kind of a SOB of a job. That would totally blow if you installed an aftermarket pump and the gauge was off due to a cheap rheostat.

Fortunately for you, your truck's bolts shouldn't be very rusty and probably not a lot of crud on and around the tank ...like on an old truck (bonus). The worst is working on old rusty tanks where crud is falling down into your face.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm jaded on fuel pump replacements. Sometimes they're not so bad, sometimes they can be a real bugger of a job. It's not a job you want to do very often if you don't have a lift and the right support jack. Probably best would be if you have a buddy who can help you extract the tank ...if you're doing it on jackstands on concrete.

The worst pump & tank replacement I did that's burned into my memory, was on one of the hottest and humid days of the year. Old (classic) 89 GMC. The tank was wet on one end with a small gasoline leak so I did it outside on the concrete (not in the shop) where the ventilation was good ...just to be on the safe side. Sweat running down my face, shirt soaked, lots of off-road dried dirt falling down off the tank sticking all over me, bolts that had to be cut off, hoses rock hard that didn't want to come off, rust....mosquitos relentlessly bombarding my eyes and ears (even though I was repellant-sprayed, but didn't stay due to sweat). Tank sloshing back and fourth (even with two floor jacks). Did I tell you I hate mosquitos?! That was a job I'll always remember, but I got it done and it's worked great. LOL. Lot of water and A/C breaks that day, I remember it well. Try to avoid that if you can ...lol.

Then again, I've done some in the last couple years which went a lot smoother (in the shop or cooler weather). Some vehicles/models have a removable access door (bless those mfgr's hearts!).
;)