Replacing 2017 2500 Tail Lamp (LED), wiring connector stuck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Ok, this is probably a stupid question but I don't want to damage a wiring connector on my truck so here it goes...

The driver's side tail lamp (OEM led version) on my RAM 2500 Power Wagon cracked while off-roading, so I bought a new MOPAR tail LED lamp unit to replace it with.

tail_lamp_1.jpegtail_lamp_2.jpeg

My question --- Is the red tab not supposed to slide out to release the joined ends linking the tail lamp assembly to the truck wiring?

The owner's manual does not mention any special steps required, it seems written for the traditional bulb version of the tail lamps -- not the premium LED ones that my truck came with from the factory -- and it just says disconnect the connectors. I've tried squeezing down and pulling them apart, prying with a screw driver, and any means to get that red tab to move at all --- but the plastic seems brittle and starts to crack if I apply any significant pressure.

Maybe I made the wrong assumption that the red tab is some sort of release mechanism that is intended to slide in / out?

I don't want to damage the connectors, but the little SOB will not budge. Trying to move it with a flathead screw driver cause it to start cracking. None of the YouTube videos I have come across some this exact connector mechanism. Search this topic I see that another member here ended up breaking his wiring connector swapping out a tail lamp, so I am trying to avoid that.

Apologies in advance for the bonehead questions and boring thread, but if anyone has swapped out a tail lamp with this style connector I would love to hear from you.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yes. In the picture, you would slide the red tab to the left. The left side of the tab has a little nib or edge sticking up so you can use your thumbnail or other tool to move the locking tab to the left.

OP
OP
H
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Yes. In the picture, you would slide the red tab to the left. The left side of the tab has a little nib or edge sticking up so you can use your thumbnail or other tool to move the locking tab to the left.
Chris, thanks for the reply :cheers:
That is what I have been doing with a flathead but it wasn't moving and started to crack, so I thought maybe I had it wrong. Won't budget even with needle nose pliers pulling on it.

Any suggestions on a safe cleaner or lubricant to try and loosen it with? At this point I am assuming some mud / sand has jammed it up so it won't slide out.

OP
OP
H
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Just closing the loop on this thread -- I know it is a boring one but maybe it will be useful if another member ever searches on this topic.

Per @RedSRT4Me I got a small saucer of Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, basically) and had to dip part of the connector several times before the red tab would move enough to release the joined ends. By the end the saucer had a good amount of sand in it. You can see from the photo how sandy / dirty the interior of the power connector was.

So if you take your truck off-road a lot these connectors can hold quite a bit of sand and get locked up. Rubbing alcohol is your friend. Cheers to those that chimed in.

photo_2021-08-02_00-46-27.jpg