Replacing air suspension compressor 2013 laramie longhorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesBuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again my air suspension compressor on my 2013 laramie longhorn got fried by an intense cold event back in January here in Nebraska. Same one that extended all the way into Texas. The dealership back in january said there were no leaks in the system, I was probably looking at a compressor that is going to start to fail. Well, sometimes the back end will go down when I am parked for long periods like in my driveway overnight, but as soon as I start it up the compressor lifts the back end up to where it is supposed to be and the system goes through all the different levels of lowering and lifting when driving at highway speeds(aero) and all the other levels(Offroad 1 and 2, entry/exit and normal ride height. Looking at rebuilt compressors ($251-$400) for my truck, because I don't feel the need to spend $800-1000 for a new one with a 8 year old truck. Has anybody else bought and used a rebuilt compressor and has it worked well or do I have to "take it in the shorts" at the dealership and pay the ridiculous price for a new one from Mopar/chrysler?

Articlonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Again my air suspension compressor on my 2013 laramie longhorn got fried by an intense cold event back in January here in Nebraska. Same one that extended all the way into Texas. The dealership back in january said there were no leaks in the system, I was probably looking at a compressor that is going to start to fail. Well, sometimes the back end will go down when I am parked for long periods like in my driveway overnight, but as soon as I start it up the compressor lifts the back end up to where it is supposed to be and the system goes through all the different levels of lowering and lifting when driving at highway speeds(aero) and all the other levels(Offroad 1 and 2, entry/exit and normal ride height. Looking at rebuilt compressors ($251-$400) for my truck, because I don't feel the need to spend $800-1000 for a new one with a 8 year old truck. Has anybody else bought and used a rebuilt compressor and has it worked well or do I have to "take it in the shorts" at the dealership and pay the ridiculous price for a new one from Mopar/chrysler?
I'm very interested as to what you have found out. I live in Maine and it gets very cold every winter. I have noticed this past month my truck overnight will sit to either side, or just the rear end would be down. The compressor would run and everything would level out. Once the compressor stops at pressure a relief valve sounds like it's letting out air then it "closes".. the catch is that the relief valve stays open just a smidge and this the compressor kicks on again for another cycle. It does this until eventually it seats correctly and then it stops until the next morning.

Halojumper09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interested in the resolution also. I sometimes come out to my truck with the back driver side squated down. It also happens when driving on the interstate. It feels like I'm running on the bump stops. When I asked my local dealer, they told me that I needed a new compressor...another dealer said that it was the bag or a fitting...I'm waiting to install a new bag and fitting to see who was right.

curleyrl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 quad cab Laramie
Engine
5.7 L
Keep in mind that these systems are supposed to be a closed loop. If you ever end up with a leak, it won’t take long for the system to lose it’s nitrogen from the 2 storage tanks. You will then hear the compressor run with a hissing sound when it shuts off.
The leak is usually in one or more of the air bags that control your ride height. To fix it the issues, you must replace the leaking parts first. If is the rear bags, they are not that difficult to replace, and not that expansive, if you have the tools. The front struts are more expensive. Once leaking parts are replaced, the system needs to be recharged with nitrogen. Again if you are mechanically inclined, you can charge it on your own and save the dealership charge but you will need a few additional tools.

btaylor188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Have you done this yet? I’m in the same boat, I found a video on refilling the tanks with a nitrogen bottle, and an AirCon test set. I also found a video on the replacement of the system in Grand Cherokee, I think the AlfaOBD app can do all the needed computer stuff. I a bit scared to pull the trigger on it, but the shop is expensive.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's the writeup a member wrote on here.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Today, the dealer quoted me $4,800, to replace the air compressor and block. $1,000 sounds cheap. They try to channel made the compressor alone was $3,500, but you can get a new OEM one for about $500.