Replacing automatic running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneyFM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
I have a 2020 Ram Longhorn 2500 crew cab diesel. It came with the automatic running boards. At first, I thought they were a good idea but now I hate them. They are cumbersome, a pain in the neck as they open and close (taking their time) each time you open a door. I also think they are a bit dangerous as they have no sensor that stops them if something is in the way of their closing. Does it make any sense to have them removed and replaced with a standard running board? Any guesses on how expensive this would be? Could they be sold after removal? Thank you.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
There are soooo many running board options and prices that it's mind boggling.
As to selling, I'm sure they would go quickly at the right price.
Good luck.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I love them on my 2500 Limited and loved them on my 1500, mostly because I have a short wife and she insists on having them lol. Aside from that I hate the look of running boards hanging out in the wind fulltime so retractables it is for me. And I do believe (but not sure) they have sensors just like my Amps did, if anything stops them from closing within a pre-set limit they open back up.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry you don't like your power steps. I love them on my 1500 Limited. They are extremely usable, unlike stationary steps. I've had many different types and brands of stationary steps. And every one of them required me to place my foot in an awkward position to use them. And all of them felt like the step was too close to the rocker panel. The power steps sit in the perfect position for use.

I'm sure you could find a buyer, but shipping might limit that depending on where you live. I have no idea if it would throw a code or not. You could just unplug them (without removing them) and see if you get a code.