Replacing batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DEDAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I’m replacing both my batteries for my 17 2500 Cummins. I want to avoid loosing my electronic memory data. Can I replace the batteries 1 at a time to keep it somewhat powered without damaging anything? If so, should I replace the drivers side first?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With my 95 diesel, I would change one battery at a time with no issues. With the newer stuff I have a "memory savor" that plugs into the OBD port and I use a "jump pack" for the power side.

khancock70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’m replacing both my batteries for my 17 2500 Cummins. I want to avoid loosing my electronic memory data. Can I replace the batteries 1 at a time to keep it somewhat powered without damaging anything? If so, should I replace the drivers side first?
Just like the gentleman who replaced them one at a time, I just replaced mine yesterday with SLI94RAGMDP from Batteries Plus. I started with the passenger battery, then the driver's side battery. Didn't lose ANYTHING. All presets, etc, still there.

My reasoning for X2POWER, I have been researching batteries since November, and in the Cummins Forum, one guy actually posted "X2POWER or nothing at all." The Duracell batteries are four years free replacement, and the X2POWER are five. Costco sells the Interstate battery, not a bad one, three years free replacement, but I decided to go big or go home.