replacing stock stereo, ground wire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasha McDonald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
So I’m replacing the stock stereo system in my ‘97 ram 1500 with a Kenwood. When I took out the old stereo, I noticed a giant ground wire bolted to the back. The ground wire on the new stereo is normal size. My question would be what to do with the giant wire and if I need to combine the two wires.

upload_2018-8-7_8-9-9.jpeg

upload_2018-8-7_8-8-51.jpeg

19942wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some of the older stereos actually used a "Chassis ground" on the back. If you actually took it off the stereo you removed I would just tape up the end and put it back. Never know if you need a good ground wire. Then just run a normal ground wire for your new stereo. If you didn't unbolt it and it was just in there then someone may have been running a small amp under the dash. They probably just left it there. Again just tape it up and tuck it back in there.

DISCLAIMER; If you want the quick fix do it as listed above. If your a perfectionist or having that wire loose bugs you, I would figure out where it ends and disconnect it from there.