Research on tonneau convers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Bunnell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I am doing research on tonneau bed covers for light duty trucks.

Will you please take a minute to help with my research by answering a few simple questions:

1. What is the make, model and year of your truck?

2. What Brand (and model if you can recall of tonneau cover do you have?

3. Where did you buy your cover?

4. Where did you research your cover?

5. Why did you select this cover?

6. Has your tonneau cover lived up to your expectations?

Thanks

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Had a cheapy $129 eBay no-name roll-up tonneau on my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab. It's was surprisingly good for the price and was still like new 2yrs later when I sold the truck. Met my expectations for the price.

I bought a Tyger brand roll-up for my 2019 classic crew cab off amazon and it's fit, finish and materials are definitely better than the $129 one. I think I paid about $180 for the tyger. Exceeds my expectations.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Hello,

Will you please take a minute to help with my research by answering a few simple questions:

RAM 3500 Tungsten Limited H.O. DRW 2018

Gator ETX Soft Roll Up

Company direct, through the store on AMAZON

AMAZON

Price, Low profile mount to the side of rail (not on top), warranty, price, & AMAZON

Yes. It's been great for the last 2 yrs.

Thanks

Answers in italic above.

To add, only a few covers would work for my setup due to having a 5th wheel hitch and a wide tool/fuel 91g box in the bed. Flip back, hard covers, or hard roll ups were out of the question.

20200213_162539.jpg

Last edited:

KPMH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman Quad Cab

Rough Country

https://www.americantrucks.com/roug...er-0918-ram-1500-w-57-ft-64-ft-box-w-ram.html
Unfortunately they are currently out of stock

Generally online and forums

It is a hard cover (didn't want soft cover), price, reviews

Yes. Good quality, water tight,

Thanks

Answers above.

One comment though. If I did it again, I'd get the Backflip since you can open up the whole bed without removing the cover.

https://www.americantrucks.com/bakdustries-bakflip-mx4-folding-tonneau-cover-0918-ram-1500.html

More money but I like it better. At the time I selected the lower cost option but practically it is better. You live and learn.

JMHO

johnsmith45a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Where can I get this new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Extang Trifecta Signature Series

Bought locally

I had one one my previous truck that was 7 years old when I bought the Ram and it held up really well

My truck is 8 years old and lives outside. So far this tonneau cover is holding up extremely well. The only signs of wear on it are some of the stitching is wearing away and the plastic latches that hold it open when flipped back are faded. Other than that its been absolutely awesome.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
My current truck a 2019 long bed 1500 has a foldup RAM labeled cover I believe it to be a BAK brand unit,
it sets done flush with the top of the bed on it's own rails, it's a good cover.
My previous 15t00 a 2015 had a foldup that sat on the bed rails I liked both of them.

My older trucks had the soft snap or Velcro covers they were not neat as nice.

Xlunaticmoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2018 RAM 1500 Limited Tungsten with RAM box

I have a Mopar cover.
I got it from the dealer with the truck when I purchased it because it was compatible with RAM boxes.

I would like some sort of waterproof heavy duty electric tonneau bed covertbag would work with my RAM boxes but options are limited

4FDFF652-85B8-4C62-B4FA-7C7B1261110D.png

DubC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Extang Trifecta Signature Series

Bought locally

I had one one my previous truck that was 7 years old when I bought the Ram and it held up really well

My truck is 8 years old and lives outside. So far this tonneau cover is holding up extremely well. The only signs of wear on it are some of the stitching is wearing away and the plastic latches that hold it open when flipped back are faded. Other than that its been absolutely awesome.

I'm also looking at this cover. Local guy says that the rear spring-loaded holders could, over time, become loose or less tensioned. Not sure how much or how much that would occur. Per you, sounds like not much. Also said that if not battened down enough that it could move around. Have you experienced that?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2003 Ram 2500 8' bed, upstate NY, had a Pace Edwards roll back cover. Worked well for about 13 years, negatives were that lock froze in snow, lost about a foot of bed with roll up box, let some water in from drain tubes.

Bought < $400 trifold hard top from Walmart, used for 2 years and transferred to my 2018 2500. Still works great, clips connect right to my bed lip so I didn't need to use mounting hardware, bone dry in all rain types, easy to take off bed if needed. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck.

Phil DeRochi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
E torque 5.7 gas
I’m looking at the retraxpro Mx . Looks great , real good reviews . More secure for traveling with possessions for a few days at a time more weather proof. Aluminum with matte finish. About $1600 no tax free shipping.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where can I get this new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know if we can help, just send me a message. We offer most brands like BAK, Lomax, Retrax, Undercover, etc....

I’m looking at the retraxpro Mx . Looks great , real good reviews . More secure for traveling with possessions for a few days at a time more weather proof. Aluminum with matte finish. About $1600 no tax free shipping.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm also looking at this cover. Local guy says that the rear spring-loaded holders could, over time, become loose or less tensioned. Not sure how much or how much that would occur. Per you, sounds like not much. Also said that if not battened down enough that it could move around. Have you experienced that?
Yeah mine has never moved around at all. I hardly ever take it completely off but when I do put it back I make sure the front is tightened down good. Other than the stitching getting sun rotted it's been an awesome cover...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello,

Thanks

I finally got the cover for my current truck. Answers are for my

1. 2015 RAM 1500 QC.
2. Truxedo, to fit the DeeZee Invisirack
3. Realtruck.com
4. Realtruck.com
5. It was the only one I could find that would work in conjunction with my Invisirack.
6. 99% yes.

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
1. 2021 Ram 2500

2. Peragon, they only make one

3. Their website

4. Various, fair bit of da Google

5. It was *barely* under $1k, hardcover, overall good reviews, great customer service reviews, American family company, slides to open the entire bed (minor issue possibly of something in the way to start folding, will see how that goes) and don't have to block the rear window to do it, the whole thing can come out fairly easily (~35 pounds), and while none are weatherproof it supposedly does pretty well keeping water out within reason. Plus being retired military they offer their upgrade package free. I wanted a fairly low profile, durable, lockable cover and it came down to them and an ARE tonneau.

6. Don't know yet. Just picked up the truck, the cover comes on Friday. I was a bit disappointed they no longer color match as that would've been nice but with COVID and all, they're down to just black & white covers.

Edit: Fixed the company name

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
2018 Big Horn 1500, 5'07" bed, MOPAR soft tri-fold. Was okay. One of the nuts in the corner came loose. Put it back on and tightened it, no problems there, just one of the aluminum spacers had a sharp corner and almost poked through it. Covered the spacers in all corners with some electrical tape to prevent it from poking through.

Current truck, 2019 Longhorn 3500, 6'04" bed. Extang Trifecta 2.0. Soft tri-fold. Got it with the purchase of my truck, took a little while to get it, but it fits good and keeps the water and crap out. So far so good with it.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello,

Thanks

Finally got my new cover installed yesterday.

1. 2020 Ram Laramie Quad Cab, 6'4" box
2. Truck Covers USA TCU-CRJR313
3. RealTruck.com
4. Mostly at Real Truck
5. I wanted a cover that didn't need to be removed, and I really liked the idea of the available built-in toolbox, since I lost my effective rear under-seat storage compared to my 2015.
6. See the text of my review below.

This cover is very well made, nice general design and looks great.

However, installation was very extensive - it took most of a day to get it done, and this was by someone who is very mechanically adept. Most of the time spent was at the tailgate. The cover would not close all the way because the removable panel of the tailgate itself was in the way. We ended up taking it off and using a Dremel to elongate the holes so we could drop it about 3/16" to remove the interference.

Secondly, the drains for the back. The tubing would kink if you tried using the existing holes near the top of the bed, and while they would work fine in the holes near the bottom, those holes weren't large enough, AND the tubing would frequently be in the way of loading/unloading stuff. We ended up getting some 90° plastic elbows so we could use the top holes.

Next, I got the model that has the toolbox. Installing the toolbox removes the top brush that keeps the cover clean as it retracts. I haven't decided yet if I will just be very careful and sweep it when necessary, or retrofit something.

Back to the tailgate - there is no seal! It's just a fuzzy brush-like strip that is nowhere near waterproof. Whatever water lands on the flat of the tailgate can easily run right inside. Took it through an automated carwash and at least a quart of water made it inside.

Lastly - the specs on this page say 500+ pound capacity on the cover, but the instructions say "Suggested Maximum 300#". However you can easily flex it 1/2" just by hand. No way I'd stand on it at 240#.

All in all, for $3000, and waiting over 5 months to receive it, I am rather disappointed.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
@TestPilot57 sounds like you are not too happy with the cover. How would you compare this over the bed setup that you had in your 2015 1500?
In some ways it's better. It's lockable, rugged, looks great, and the storage is really nice (though it would be nicer if it was set up so you could add dividers so stuff doesn't slide 6' when you go around a corner).

But it steals more room from the bed, and is not quickly detachable like the roll-up one.

I think if I were starting over, knowing what I know now, I would have gotten the RamBox for storage and a more conventional tonneau cover.