Resonator delete improve sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
After four month of waiting (long story), I finally got my Carven exhaust (cut and clamp, not full catback) with 5" tips in and put on. I expected a louder sound and more crackle and pops from videos I have watched (I get none at all) from it. I like how it sounds, just want more. I am considering cutting out the resonators but from videos I have listened to, there doesn't seem to be much of a boost to the sound it puts out with them taken off. If removing them doesn't improve the sound at all, I definitely plan on plugging the weep holes at least to get rid of the whispy sound they create and that will at least get me a more clear sound from this muffler. So opinions. Does removing the resonators improve sound at all, not counting what plugging the holes would do?

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I would remove the front resonator first and see if that is the sound you like. The front resonator, before the muffler is much easier to remove that the rears ones.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also illegal to remove, lol.
But removing the cat converter (resonator in front of the muffler) should make it louder.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Also illegal to remove, lol.
But removing the cat converter (resonator in front of the muffler) should make it louder.
The resonator in front of the muffler is not a catalytic convertor. It looks like a small bullet glass pack. See post #12 in the link.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I just thought that was a slim cat. They used a 3 cat system for years, so that's why I thought it was a cat.
As quiet as these things are, why waste the money on a resonator in front of the muffler?

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Thanks, I just thought that was a slim cat. They used a 3 cat system for years, so that's why I thought it was a cat.
As quiet as these things are, why waste the money on a resonator in front of the muffler?
I don't know, maybe that's why the 5th gens are so quiet. In one post, someone said his 2021has no resonator in front of the muffler...maybe it doesn't do much. I took mine off and noticed no change in sound, but my exhaust is all stock.

Last edited:

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It appears that they stopped using the forward resonator on the 2021 models, I don't have one.

hemi-ram2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram Laramie hemi CrewCab
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, my 21 put Carven cut clamp Competitor. Was not that loud.
I do not have front resonator!

I used B2 Fabrication resonator delete kit and WOW. !!!!!!
No drone, sounds Perfect. At idle sounds like old muscle car. Thanks

Olliver3621

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
After four month of waiting (long story), I finally got my Carven exhaust (cut and clamp, not full catback) with 5" tips in and put on. I expected a louder sound and more crackle and pops from videos I have watched (I get none at all) from it. I like how it sounds, just want more. I am considering cutting out the resonators but from videos I have listened to, there doesn't seem to be much of a boost to the sound it puts out with them taken off. If removing them doesn't improve the sound at all, I definitely plan on plugging the weep holes at least to get rid of the whispy sound they create and that will at least get me a more clear sound from this muffler. So opinions. Does removing the resonators improve sound at all, not counting what plugging the holes would do?
Removing all 3 resonators with flowmaster super 40 is the best exaust tone I've ever had on a 5th generation ram

Olliver3621

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Removing all 3 resonators with flowmaster super 40 is the best exaust tone I've ever had on a 5th generation ram
Those resonators are made to cancel out those muscle car wicked awsome sounds that some guys or girls that want as close to quiet new truck sound. But any guy that wants to hear his hemi perform should get rid of them in my opinion

Hawkeye Jim

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Lone Star Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I put Mufflex 18" mufflers on my previous Classics and pre 2019 Rams. Sounded good to me. I just put one on my new 22 Ram Sport and there is very little difference from the factory muffler. Gonna install the B2 resonator deletes with 5" tips next and see what happens.

At least the Y Pipes an these new models are non-restrictive.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I put Mufflex 18" mufflers on my previous Classics and pre 2019 Rams. Sounded good to me. I just put one on my new 22 Ram Sport and there is very little difference from the factory muffler. Gonna install the B2 resonator deletes with 5" tips next and see what happens.

At least the Y Pipes an these new models are non-restrictive.
they changed the first y pipe from the cats? wow!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2019 is a 4th gen, but I can assure you the resonator on a single exhaust, hemi, 4th gen does nothing to cancel out crackle, pop old school muscle car sounds. I ran a Mufflex muffler delete kit on mine for about 8-9 months.

It sounded so cool when you got on it. Cold start was loud. Warm idle was perfect. The cabin noise at normal cruising got to me after awhile and MDS kicking in/out was unbearable with it. I would constantly have to toggle MDS off because of the noise and vibs from it w/ no muffler.

It was shockingly loud for anyone/anything on the tailpipe side if you got on it hard.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Id say it took about 6 or 7 months after I modified the exhaust to break in the stock dual rear resonators. the truck was only 3 months old when I chopped the stock exhaust leaving the axle back section stock. at first I was a little underwhelmed but it still sounded great. then after 5 or 6 months it started getting progressively more resonance which is fine by me thats what I wanted