Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resonator delete

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by texasfan88, Jun 28, 2020.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. texasfan88

texasfan88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

2. Nick@GotExhaust

[email protected] Senior Member Preferred Vendor

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    tidefan1967, U&A and texasfan88 like this.
  3. texasfan88

texasfan88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Oh ok, I see. In that case, if I decided not to go for the true dual setup, which seems to be the best decision given what my intentions are for the truck and just go for a muffler swap or something like the Carven Competitor setup, which I also believe is a muffler swap and something I also think sounds great, would replacing the factory Y-pipe with an aftermarket one be a worthy investment? I think they're only about $30 but I want to make sure it's something that will add some benefit and not just be there for decoration. I mean I suppose it goes back to how much power I'm pushing through the engine and through the exhaust but at least with the Y-pipe, I'm still retaining the factory design somewhat. Also, I had thought about adding a Vararam intake and maybe a tune in the future, just not really considering adding headers at this point.

4. Nick@GotExhaust

[email protected] Senior Member Preferred Vendor

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    tidefan1967 and U&A like this.
  5. texasfan88

texasfan88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Lol yeah the part is $30. I hadn't thought of the labor involved with cutting out the factory y-pipe and then fabricating two additional pipes to make it it fit and whatever else is involved. Thanks for your input, Nick. I think now a simple muffler swap or if I can find a catback system I love is the best solution. I like the idea of a muffler swap because I get to keep the 5 inch black tips I currently have but although I haven't found a catback system I love, there are two that I like and those are the flowmaster outlaw and the mbrp xp series. Rough Country also makes one that sounds good in their promotion video but I don't know anything about how the bad the interior drone for that system is, or any of the ones I mentioned for that matter. Corsa makes a good quality exhaust system that I know is designed not to drone but I'm not a fan of how they sound personally. It has too much of a European exotic race car sound to it in my opinion. How is the interior drone with the Carven competitor?

6. bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I have a carven progressive with the 5” tips. There is a slight drone at certain rpms. But honestly I feel I need to almost listen for it as my kids in the backseat or my tire noise is louder than the drone. Wife nor kids have ever complained of noise (except on cold starts when I get called into work at 2am). Kids sleep through it on car rides. People can hear me on Bluetooth. I drove it 1 mile with stock tips and carven muffler just for sound idea. Then I put on 5” tips and it deepened the tone a little. Looks great.

Other thing to consider would be solo muffler delete. I feel that would possibly be a comparable sound to your true dual you are thinking of.

There are times I’ve had the itch to try the muffler delete (just to see how much louder and the tone changes) from Nick and worst case I could sell it on here for like 50 less than I bought it for and all I’d be out is that little $$$ and a hr or two of time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. texasfan88

texasfan88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yeah but unfortunately, muffler deletes are illegal in the state of Texas even though I’m sure plenty of people do it. It’s weird because there’s no law against how loud the exhaust can be. They do sound pretty sweet though I won’t lie.

8. bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Well damn. Sorry didn’t know that law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. texasfan88

texasfan88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yeah it’s crazy because I hear trucks all the time that are definitely running straight pipes but yet, here’s the law that requires all vehicles to have mufflers:

http://texascarlaws.com/exhaust-noise/

tidefan1967 likes this.
  10. texasfan88

texasfan88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thanks for your input on the Carven btw. Definitely adding that one to the list of possible mufflers to get.