Resonator removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodger2107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey folks i have a 2011 Express ,I had a Flowmaster installed but I didnt have the resonators taken out ,should i WHAT WOULD BE THE ADVANTAGES OR DISADVANTAGES PLEASE HELP

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok if you remove it youll prob get a drone some can hear it some cant it really not going to make it louder if you leave on i took mine off and did not notice anything as far as sound or power (i to have a magnaflow). But my old lady ******* so i had them put back on due to drone. So in short wont hurt to take off or leave on if you do remove and get the drone you can get them put back on.

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine are gone...pretty much what Walt said.

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The purpose of a resonator [a hollowed out chamber] in the path of an exhaust system is to dampen the noise from the engine that ultimately makes its way thru the exhaust [sound], without robbing the vehicle of power.

Certain sound frequencies - though that should not - do make their way thru the muffler. These frequencies can create drone and general annoyance for the cabin occupants. This is where the resonator comes into effect.... or is supposed to. It's the last line of defense to grab those frequencies and eliminate them prior to the final exit at the pipes [i.e.: what you hear]

All things equal, a resonators distance from the exhaust's muffler is more vital than the actual resonator itself [size, shape, etc.]. It's usually placed by vehicle manufacturers a certain distance from the muffler to best affect its use based on the vehicle/engine combination.

Removing resonators can be a risky thing as these annoying sounds and drones can ultimately make their way to your hearing. More often than not, removing the OEM resonators [without removing anything else] may induce drone that was not there prior. So yes, it's a gamble.

However, if a high quality aftermarket exhaust system [pipes and muffler combo] comes without resonators, or calls for resonators being deleted, and then nine times out of ten drone is NOT an issue. This is because these aftermarket exhaust manufacturers have extensively tested these units prior to making them available to the consumer to rid them of any drone or "resonating" sounds that will disturb the cabin occupants.

My Magnaflow 16869 catback exhaust with the Magnaflow 10778 Y-pipe is an excellent example. Absolutely no drone anytime.

Just to add finally, I highly do NOT recommend removing resonators for those people who choose to do ONLY a muffler change/upgrade. This is because - contrary to what people will tell you - OEM piping, mufflers and resonators work in conjunction with each other to rid the cabin of drone and any other annoying sounds. Eliminating the resonators from an OEM exhaust system, with JUST a muffler upgrade, will almost ALWAYS induce unwanted exhaust drone.

Hope this helped some.

Good luck ultimately in your decision.

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Let me just add that one person's drone is another's tune.

This is because sound frequencies are almost always heard [interpreted] differently from one person to another.

So drone and other unwanted tones created by an exhaust system is relative to the listener.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Let me just add that one person's drone is another's tune.

This is because sound frequencies are almost always heard [interpreted] differently from one person to another.

So drone and other unwanted tones created by an exhaust system is relative to the listener.

Yep! I totally agree.

LU229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Resonators are usually just a "thru hole" within the pipe, but have a difference of size of a chamber internally to disrupt the frequency`s that are traveling towards the end of the tailpipe. The resonators kill most of the drone frequency you hear. So by removing the resonators, the only thing you create is drone. It will have very little or no effect on performance on or off the vehicle...just a noise difference within the cab. My thought is to just leave them alone unless you do a full catback system, then by all meens, remove them if the aftermarket exhaust manufactuer tells you to do so.

OP
OP
dodger2107

dodger2107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow I tell you ,I recently discovered this site and I love it,seems like everyone is so friendly....

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Wow I tell you ,I recently discovered this site and I love it,seems like everyone is so friendly....

Yeah, we even invite you over for dinner and kool-aid.:)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
lots of good info in this thread.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I see no point in removing them to be honest. They have a purpose.

$miley

OP
OP
dodger2107

dodger2107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Resonators stay(for now):,decals go,omg the decals on the back of the truck were taken off and there is so much glue residue its unreal(i will never put a decal on my truck again)its gonna take awhile to get all this off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pp:

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was told to get an eraser wheel, should help get that stuff off