Retrax Retractable Bed Cover - issue with Side Rail Ram Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell Bowen

Reaction score
Ram Year
1987 w150 4x4 and 2018 2500 diesel 4x4
Engine
1987 318. 2018 Cummings
I have 2018 , 2500 w/ram boxes. My issue is that I just purchased the Retrax Tractrable Bed Cover. The truck came with the soft flip bed cover but I want to replace it with a Retrax. The Retrax Retractable bed cover appears will not work with the existing side rails that are for the soft fold up cover. Appears the existing side rails will be an issue.

If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. Do I need to find new rails or am I just missing something?

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
You will need to replace those rails with the standard bed rails. I ran into the same issue back in 2015. Truck came with factory cover. Probably all aftermarket covers only base their mounting on the standard rails.
At the time, I was going to just buy the standard rails and replace them. Luckily, a coworker had just purchased a Ram with the same length Rambox and said he wanted to get a cover.
So we made a deal, and I got his standard rails and put my Retrax cover on.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Just a side note, the rails that you have now should stay with that cover. So if you sell the cover it will work as the seal sits on that top flange.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have 2018 , 2500 w/ram boxes. My issue is that I just purchased the Retrax Tractrable Bed Cover. The truck came with the soft flip bed cover but I want to replace it with a Retrax. The Retrax Retractable bed cover appears will not work with the existing side rails that are for the soft fold up cover. Appears the existing side rails will be an issue.

If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. Do I need to find new rails or am I just missing something?
I believe this thread will clarify the issue for you...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put the retrax on my Rambox bed, and I love it.

There are several varieties of silver rails. There are some for the regular bed, and some for the Rambox bed. They are not interchangeable. Make sure you get the right ones.

If you end up ordering them, contact Bennie at all Mopar parts, he can give you the correct part number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro