Retro new tailgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Durand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Although new Tailgae should fit any 5th Gen 2019 truck curious to see if RAM will make that happen or not?

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
New tailgate takes a specfic bed so it will not retrofit to older 19s.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New tailgate takes a specfic bed so it will not retrofit to older 19s.

Really? I hope that doesn't mean they're making this tailgate standard, because that will mean there will be a one-year bed setup for the early 2019s which then means replacement parts in the future will be crazy expensive or unavailable.

I went on Ram's site and I saw the writeup for the tailgate but couldn't find any package or option or model that listed it as standard or optional. The writeup says "Available" so I assume that means the split tailgate is an option.

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does this new tailgate really represent something special? I was a little disappointed.

CoHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to pickuptrucks.com the mounting hardware adds 75 extra pounds to the tailgate. This would be weight at the rear-most point, almost acting like trailer tongue weight. It looks like it could be handy, but that much extra weight located in that position is troubling.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if it as strong as the single tail gate. Many of us load heavy things onto the tailgate and slide or roll into the bed or even drive with part of the load on the tailgate, like a heavy motorcycle - we push the limits of our 1500s. I sometimes worry if my tailgates will support all the weight I put on them or at least the side straps - so for no problems.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if it as strong as the single tail gate. Many of us load heavy things onto the tailgate and slide or roll into the bed or even drive with part of the load on the tailgate, like a heavy motorcycle - we push the limits of our 1500s. I sometimes worry if my tailgates will support all the weight I put on them or at least the side straps - so for no problems.

Assuming the latch that holds the pieces together has a higher shear point than the metal of the tailgate, the two piece should actually be stronger than a single tailgate, the same way two short boards nailed together will have less center flex than one single long board. That doesn't mean there's not other things that can go wrong, as the introduction of more moving parts will mean more possible mechanical points of failure.

As for forklift loading, it may be marginally useful but every time I've had something forked onto my truck the operator didn't have any trouble using the fork tips to slide the pallet back into the truck from the edge.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd be curious if there is something that locks it out while open or could someone open it conventionally then while its down open it at the halves. just curious