Retrofitted Fog lights DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always hated the look of the factory fogs and the morimoto I've heard have terrible output. I don't like the stacked LED cube look with the random void behind therm so I thought i would make my own creation. it went kinda like this:

-purchased a pair of 3.5 inch 25w led round flood spot lights from amazon. 2500lm each. these things are solid and have great reviews. basically small motorcycle headlights.
upload_2019-2-28_22-14-13.png

-painted the gasket edge on he casing with liquid electrical tape for added moisture protection then hit them with some thick high temp flat black to make them look uniform again.

-I removed the factory housings from the truck, heat gunned the edge of he perspex and pryed open the casings to remove the clear covers.
upload_2019-2-28_22-13-11.jpeg

-drilled a 1/4 inch drain hole in the bottom of the housing, drilled a larger hole for cable adjacent to existing bulb holder hole.

-roughed up the chrome and silver with 80 grit, hit them with black loss performance enamel.boom

-next with the help of two random keyhole shaped washers left over from an ikea kitchen install (painted them with flat black for rust protection) i bolted the lights through the bulb holder hole with the supplied hardware that came with said LED lights. I later learnt i needed to angle them toward the inside edge of the factory housing so the lights would clear the edge of the bumper opening.
upload_2019-2-28_22-15-49.jpeg
upload_2019-2-28_22-16-58.jpeg
-once the lights were bolted in place and sitting tight it was time to dig out my Hazard Fraught $2 soldering iron and connect the cables to some 9006 male connectors i got from eBay. heat shrinked and wrapped in linerless tape- if any moisture gets in then **** me i tried my best.
upload_2019-2-28_22-18-1.jpeg

-then it was install time and hoping the everything fit back the way I imagined them to in the bumper. I'd already bench tested them with my dodgy 12v power supply i rigged up one night whilst smashing back some of the wife's pinot noir i found and the output was dazzling.

The best thing about this build is that you can use the factory adjustment screws to angle them lower or higher if you want to be more of a **** and dazzle peeps. also there is no void behind the light pods and water will drain at the bottom through the holes.

Factory connection, factory fog switch control, factory adjustment, blacked out, epic output.
I think I'm in about $70 if i include the paint which i will use for other stuff. The pods were $60 and the 9006 connectors were about $4.

The look might not be for all but i loved having fun and experimenting in my kitchen with the factory housings and honestly i think the pics speak for themselves.

ive included as many pics as i can.
posting additional pics below as my limit is 5 apparently

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love, can't wait to see the output

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jackaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THESE ARE ADDITIONAL PICTURES:

upload_2019-2-28_22-21-41.jpeg

upload_2019-2-28_22-21-56.jpeg

upload_2019-2-28_22-22-12.jpeg

upload_2019-2-28_22-22-31.jpeg

upload_2019-2-28_22-23-2.jpeg

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hell ya

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jackaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
as you can see its snowing so will get some throw shots in the early morning

tzr916

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 QC SLT 6'4"
Engine
5.7L 8spd 2WD
What's the story with the vertical "drl strip" on your headlights? brand? model? store? or homemade?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your sure put a lot of work into that project, but looks nice.

OP
OP
J

jackaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your sure put a lot of work into that project, but looks nice.
Thanks, it was my evening project for a week or two, it wasn't a big deal not having fogs in the truck for a while so i could take my time

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Creative. I assume your not putting the lenses back on? Your pics show then aimed low, either your driveway slants or the beam is so wide (round circle flood/spot) that your aiming them low. I see the stray light being blinding to oncoming traffic even with them aimed low so be ready for people to flash u. This is why something with a horizontal cutoff works best. It will also allow u to bring the beam up to give you more distance and not be blinding.

OP
OP
J

jackaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Creative. I assume your not putting the lenses back on? Your pics show then aimed low, either your driveway slants or the beam is so wide (round circle flood/spot) that your aiming them low. I see the stray light being blinding to oncoming traffic even with them aimed low so be ready for people to flash u. This is why something with a horizontal cutoff works best. It will also allow u to bring the beam up to give you more distance and not be blinding.

Yea the lenses are staying off purposefully. my driveway is slanted yes and i have since adjusted them to bring them up. never been flashed once. Ive had my wife drive toward we with them before and they aren't blinding at all. and the lights are a spot/flot combo yes. they throw off plenty of light for my purposes and look way better imo

OP
OP
J

jackaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i want a DM as well, I am interested too

they are cheap Amazon/ebay led tube lights. they are basically an led strip that runs inside a silicone tube that you can cut to length. the silicone tube actually has two channels so when I cut them to the length i needed i didn't cut the led strip but folded it back thru the other channel so it doubled the brightness, then just siliconed the cap back on the end. then i epoxy glued them to the exterior headlight housings- theres a perfect size gap between the headlight and grill for them. they are just wired into my fusebox to cigar lighter fuse so they come on with ACC power.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
they are cheap Amazon/ebay led tube lights. they are basically an led strip that runs inside a silicone tube that you can cut to length. the silicone tube actually has two channels so when I cut them to the length i needed i didn't cut the led strip but folded it back thru the other channel so it doubled the brightness, then just siliconed the cap back on the end. then i epoxy glued them to the exterior headlight housings- theres a perfect size gap between the headlight and grill for them. they are just wired into my fusebox to cigar lighter fuse so they come on with ACC power.

Do you have the link to them ?