Review: Customtronix Enzo 1/2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As already announced, Customtronix has launched a new product: Jailbreaker Enzo (http://www.customtronix.com/webshop/jailbreaker-enzo-2/). I tested the product in my RAM for a few weeks.

What exactly is Enzo? It is an add-on that allows you to unlock functions in UConnect 8.4 without reprogramming the vehicle's BCM. Examples are the Cargo-Cam, a Front-Cam or the Performance-Pages. The retrofitting of older vehicles with the 2018 Panasonic is also possible. More about this in detail later.

Unboxing

The Jailbreaker Enzo has a very noble appearance. A metallic-red box gradually reveals its contents.

IMG 0228.jpg

Enzo itself is a 7cm x 9cm x 2cm box made of red anodised aluminium.

IMG 0231.jpg

On one side of the box there are 8 DIP switches for configuration, a micro SD card slot (more on that later), as well as a programming interface. The latter is not needed by the user.

On the opposite side are the contacts for the connection to the vehicle, as well as the contacts for the video and audio sources.

At the bottom of the box you will find the connection harness. Of course, everything is designed for plug-and-play. Nobody has to make or even solder their own cables.

A special feature is already noticeable with the accessories. Enzo adds a 4-button foil strip for video switching. This is an option to install, but you don’t have to use it. Nevertheless, it is quite unique on the market.

IMG 0230.jpg

Connection

As usual with this kind of product, Enzo has to be inserted between the vehicle and the UConnect. A suitable cable is included so that the user can install and remove the product at any time without any problems. However, in most cases you will need to remove the unit from the car to connect anything properly. IMPORTANT: If the UConnect is removed anyway, take pictures from the back and the attached stickers, that's important for support calls!

Once installed, the product provides a variety of connections. Very few users will really use them all.

In detail, the following connections are available:

- Rev-Cam connection (at the adapter cable). If the vehicle is already equipped with a Rev-Cam, leave it connected. But you can also retrofit / connect your own Rev-Cam there.

- Cargo Cam connection (at the adapter cable). If the vehicle is already equipped with a Cargo-Cam, leave it connected. But you can also retrofit / connect your own Cargo-Cam there. The feature must be activated via the DIP configuration (see below). In the end, it's just another connection, but it has the special feature that it can be operated via the touch interface of the UConnect. Whether you connect a Cargo-Cam or something else (Media Player, e.g.) is up to the user.

- Front cam connection (at the Enzo box)

- AV connection 1, video + audio input (at the Enzo box)

- AV connector 2, video + audio input (at the Enzo box)

- 2x +12V, switched (at the Enzo box)

Note: All inputs, except the Cargo-Cam connection, must be fed with NTSC video material. PAL is not possible. This is not due to the Customtronix product, but to the UConnect units. They don't support PAL video material.

Update

If everything is wired correctly, you first have to configure and update the box. If there are updates from Customtronix in the meantime, please download, copy the *.UPD file on a FAT32-formatted SD card, insert it into the Enzo and connect it to the harness. An update is indicated by the fast flashing LED. After the update the LED goes off and you have to remove the SD card again.

)

Configuration

If the box disappears into the depths of the vehicle after installation, you should carefully consider which functions you configure for Enzo. In detail, Enzo offers the following settings via the DIP switches:

DIP 1 - up: Panasonic-UConnect (MY2018+) / down: Harman-UConnect (MY2013-2017)

DIP 2 - up: Front view off / down: Front view on

DIP 3 - up: Park-Pro off / down: Park-Pro on

DIP 4 - up: Cargo-Cam off / down Cargo-Cam on

DIP 5 - up: DAB off / down DAB on

DIP 6 - up: without function / down: without function

DIP 7 - up: without function / down: without function

DIP 8 - up: Retrofit deactivated / down: Retrofit activated

What's it all about:

Panasonic-UConnect or Harman-UConnect

Until model year 2017, Harman has equipped many vehicles of the FCA Group with the 8.4" devices. From 2018 a change to the manufacturer Panasonic took place. Enzo must take this into account in order to be able to address the device correctly. The easiest way is to check the model year of the vehicle. From 2013-2017 most of the cars had been equipped with Harman, from 2018 Panasonic was equipped. If you have major trouble in use, just try the opposite setting.

Front view

Front-View is a function that activates the front camera as soon as the gear shift is set to D. The display goes off automatically as soon as you drive over 10 km/h / 7mph and then stays off.

Park-Pro

Park-Pro and Front-View are quite similar. While Front-View does not activate my itself, except when changing gears to D again, the front camera of Park-Pro always switches on again when the vehicle is driving slower than 10km/h / 7mph. The front camera is switched off again when the vehicle is moving faster than 10km/h / 7mph. So every slow approach is automatically accompanied by the front camera.

Cargo cam

Cargo-Cam activates a separate video input at the UConnect. This input is not directly controlled by Enzo, but Enzo sends the appropriate commands to UConnect to display the corresponding icon. Since this feature changes the radio's configuration, it is recommended to reset the radio twice using the Enzo reset function after changing this setting (see below). Alternatively, it will take a few power on and power off cycles for this function to become active and visible.

DAB

DAB, Digital Audio Broadcasting, is a radio system that is only available in Europe.

Retrofit

Retrofit is for vehicles of the model years 2013-2017, which are customized with a 2018+ Panasonic system. The DIP switch must be activated so that the radio runs properly in such a vehicle, so that all functions of the vehicle are available to the user correctly. Details about retrofit can be found here (https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/)

(to be continued in next message)

IMG 0224.jpg

IMG 0226.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Part 2/2

Functions

Switch video signal

Enzo offers several ways to select video sources. In addition to the automatic functions of Front-View and Park-Pro, the user can either select the signals directly using the supplied button bar or, if equipped, using the vehicle's "Mute" and "Back" buttons in the center console.

Button bar

The button bar is assigned as follows:

1 - Front Cam

2- AV1

3 - AV2

4 - Rev-Cam

If no video signal is active, pressing a button switches on the corresponding signal. Pressing the same button again turns the signal off. Pressing another button switches directly to the corresponding video signal. A very fast and comfortable method to show up the desired signals directly.

Activate video via mute button

If Mute is held for two seconds, the video signal is turned on. The primary video source is the front camera. If Mute is held for two seconds when the video signal switched on, the video signal is deactivated again.

If a "double click" is performed on the Mute button, the video signal is switched one channel further, identical to the arrangement of the button bar described above. Thus from front to AV1, from AV1 to AV2 etc.. If the Rev camera is active, the signal is switched off again by double click. A double click with the video signal off, switches the video signal on again and selects the front camera.

Activate video via Back button

If Back is held for two seconds, the video signal is turned on. The primary video source there is the front camera. If you hold Back for two seconds when the video signal on, the video signal is deactivated again.

If a "double click" is performed on the Back key, the video signal is switched one channel further, identical to the arrangement of the button bar described above. Thus from front to AV1, from AV1 to AV2 etc.. If the Rev camera is active, the signal is switched off again by double-click. A double click with the signal switched off, switches the video signal on again and selects the front camera.

The functionality of Back and Mute is identical, because not every vehicle has every button available. Depending on the equipment, the Back button in the center console might be missing.

All switching functions are also available when the video signal has been activated by Park-Pro or Front-View. If a video signal from Park-Pro or Front-View is interrupted, the system automatically switches back to the previous video signal after the function has been completed.

Activate Cargo-Cam

The Cargo-Cam cannot be controlled directly by the Enzo. If this function is activated via the DIP configuration, a corresponding entry appears in the UConnect interface. The Cargo-Cam can be activated from there.

Resetting the radio

Resetting the radio accelerates some configuration processes and sometimes helps if the system has “swallowed”. This is not a factory reset, just a hard reset of the radio. All settings are retained. There are the following possibilities to trigger a reset:

Button bar, button 1: Hold for 7 seconds

Mute button in the center console: hold for 7 seconds

Back button in the center console: hold for 7 seconds

Video of handling:

Conclusion

The "Enzo" product from Customtronix is quite a step forward compared to what is otherwise on the market. In addition to high-quality manufacturing, it offers a very wide range of functions, lots of video sources, a convenient switching function and is also very easy to update using an SD card. This also ensures compatibility with future vehicle generations. New functions in the future are also possible, as for example the retrofit integration shows. The system has proven to be very stable in my vehicle, so far there has not been a malfunction or even a failure of the system. I even use the retrofit installation with a Panasonic radio in a 2013 RAM. So "thumbs up" and "5 stars" for this product!

F.A.Q.

Which cameras do I need?

Video sources in NTSC format are required for all inputs of the Enzo-Box. The only exception is the Cargo-Cam. This can also process a PAL signal. This is not a restriction of the Enzo system, but of the respective radio units (exception: Harman systems also tolerate PAL signals at all inputs).

Can I record the videos?

No. The signals are passed directly to the UConnect. There is no image processing or recording in the Enzo.

Do I still need a conversion?

In order to operate a US system in Europe, you still need a conversion. But Enzo also works in FCA vehicles, which are officially sold in Europe, as well as in original vehicles of the US market without conversion.

RAX Conversion + RAX Jailbreaker

Enzo is compatible with RAX Conversion and RAX Jailbreaker, but redundant in many ways. If Enzo is used with a US vehicle in Europe, a CTX conversion without Jailbreaker functionality is recommended, otherwise there could be strange side effects.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Interesting! Can you provide more detail on the retrofit capability?

Will this allow me to take a MY15 truck, retrofit with Panasonic, and have Park-Pro capability?

OP
OP
N

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting! Can you provide more detail on the retrofit capability?

Will this allow me to take a MY15 truck, retrofit with Panasonic, and have Park-Pro capability?

Yes. That is exactly what I do with my MY13 truck. Retrofit solves the heated/vented seats/steering wheel issue, the „long street names“ navigation issues and the Customer Menus Problem.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Does the Harman media hub work with the Panasonic / CarPlay or do I need to swap the media hub as well with the Enzo?

OP
OP
N

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the Harman media hub work with the Panasonic / CarPlay or do I need to swap the media hub as well with the Enzo?

No, Harman usb hub does not work at all with Panasonic unit. You also need the new hub for Apple Car Play and Android Auto. The corresponding components are implemented in there, not in the unit.

OP
OP
N

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
USB hub adapter cable. Have a look here for details: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/

No need for the Infotainment adapter cable when using Enzo. Customtronix also sells a Retrofit only kit based on the old product "Enigma". http://www.customtronix.com/webshop/jailbreaker-enigma-retrofit-2013-2017/

But I'd recommend Enzo, because retrofitting is a bit tricky and Enzo can be updated in case of unexpected problems with specific vehicle types or model years.

OP
OP
N

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Europe within a week. US I don't know. They normally use FedEx, which is pretty fast... So 1-2 weeks should be possible.

Hawk11nw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I havent pulled the trigger yet on this, The UAQ upgrade went flawless, only thing ive noticed so far is that some of the siriusXM stations do not display on the EVIC, i think its due to name length. Not sure if that bugs me enough to warrant the 300.00+ bucks for this unit but time will tell=).

twizt3dkitty

Reaction score
I sorta want to consider this... and I might go for the front camera too, but I wish the 3rd break camera was the mopar led one that infotainment sells. Were talking alot of money and wasted parts to buy both kits....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sorta want to consider this... and I might go for the front camera too, but I wish the 3rd break camera was the mopar led one that infotainment sells. Were talking alot of money and wasted parts to buy both kits....

I purchased the Enzo to install a front camera. I also purchased the Mopar LED CHMSL w/ camera and used DeereGuy's harness to connect it. Everything works as it should and no wasted $$$.

twizt3dkitty

Reaction score
I purchased the Enzo to install a front camera. I also purchased the Mopar LED CHMSL w/ camera and used DeereGuy's harness to connect it. Everything works as it should and no wasted $$$.
I'll have to look at that, didnt know deereguy made a harness for that camera.. if you could could you link where you bought the camera and how deereguys harness integrated into the enzo harness.

Also I assume you do not need alfa and just hit the dip switch for the cameras.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to look at that, didnt know deereguy made a harness for that camera.. if you could could you link where you bought the camera and how deereguys harness integrated into the enzo harness.

Also I assume you do not need alfa and just hit the dip switch for the cameras.

I purchased the CHMSL w/ camera from AllMorparParts.com (p/n 68412027AB). It's the one with the clear lens and LEDs.

Deereguys harness doesn't actually integrate w/ the ENZO harness, his harness will terminate into the OEM radio harness connector (which connects into the ENZO harness) in the OEM pin locations for the cargo camera. Setting the dip switch for cargo cam should enable it. You may still need AlfaOBD to set the CHMSL to LED otherwise you'll likely get a parking/brake light bulb out error message. I had already changed the setting for LED CHMSL in AlfaOBD, so I'm unsure if I actually needed to or not.

twizt3dkitty

Reaction score
I purchased the CHMSL w/ camera from AllMorparParts.com (p/n 68412027AB). It's the one with the clear lens and LEDs.

Deereguys harness doesn't actually integrate w/ the ENZO harness, his harness will terminate into the OEM radio harness connector (which connects into the ENZO harness) in the OEM pin locations for the cargo camera. Setting the dip switch for cargo cam should enable it. You may still need AlfaOBD to set the CHMSL to LED otherwise you'll likely get a parking/brake light bulb out error message. I had already changed the setting for LED CHMSL in AlfaOBD, so I'm unsure if I actually needed to or not.
Thanks for the write ups, did you take any pictures of the install when you did it? I'll take a look at deereguys stuff, I need a bypass too, I have an 18.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the write ups, did you take any pictures of the install when you did it? I'll take a look at deereguys stuff, I need a bypass too, I have an 18.

I've purchased the Security Module Bypass and CHMSL harnesses from DeereGuy and they were both high quality pieces with great fit and finish. You can order the harnesses from https://www.kaodtech.com/.

I have some photos in my thread https://www.ramforum.com/threads/19-1500-express-classic.145042/page-2#post-2138329. If you want to see something specific I can try and get it after I get back from work next week.

twizt3dkitty

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the link, I have an 18 hydro blue sport, but I love your tail lights. Might need to look into those myself.579f36ec3cd86b68188481b4d84f4709.jpg