RevMax 8 speed thermostat bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read though this entire thread and have one question, what is the aversion to the RevMax plate and bypass? It does what is wanted with arguably a lot less work and a lot easier to go back to stock should one want to.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I read though this entire thread and have one question, what is the aversion to the RevMax plate and bypass? It does what is wanted with arguably a lot less work and a lot easier to go back to stock should one want to.

Probably spending $100 on a plate and a brass plug if I were to guess. It sounded like a no brainer at the time because I didnt know there was another homemade option.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Finally got around to installing the Revmax kit and doing a fluid and pan swap. I took a couple pictures but the forum says they are too big to upload. Anyway temps went down as they are supposed to. Started at about 105 degree transmission temp after the fluid level procedure with coolant 170 and oil temp 140. Drove about 12 miles which was 50% 70mph on the interstate. Coolant 206, Trans 132, Oil 217 at 55 degree air temp. I got onto it pretty hard getting onto the highway and even power braked a bit to load up the torque converter. Highest temp I saw was 140 and it seemed to stay above 130 while driving. It seems like the coolant and oil are running a bit hotter which makes sense that they aren't losing heat to warm the transmission.

Shrunk the pics and got them to upload.20210306_191831.jpg 20210307_150517.jpg

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

200 bucks for the Rev Max kit into Canada,is the biggest issue,plus it still leaves that big ugly heat exchanger on the side of the transmisson,lol. I deleted the exchanger and 3 way bypass valve and went back to the old style re:simpler heater hose set-up on my 14,cleans up a lot of eye sores under the hood,and i hate eye sores,lol.Nothing wrong with the Rev Max kit,both Crazy Kid and i started out with the kit,till we discovered there's a noticably cheaper way to do it,that also gets rid of a lot of excess parts off the side of the transmission.My truck is out of warrenty,so i'm not to worried about having to return it to stock,and spends more time at the dragstrip then it does driving to the corner store,can we say "toy",lol.
Caulks bypass valve is the way to go,if you want ease of returning to stock,the Rev Max kit is old school now that he's developed a simple easy to intall plug that accomplishes basically the same thing as the Rev Max kit

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably spending $100 on a plate and a brass plug if I were to guess. It sounded like a no brainer at the time because I didnt know there was another homemade option.

Makes sense, I know at times I cringe buying certain things because I think they are overpriced but I take into account my time is money as well.

200 bucks for the Rev Max kit into Canada,is the biggest issue,plus it still leaves that big ugly heat exchanger on the side of the transmisson,lol. I deleted the exchanger and 3 way bypass valve and went back to the old style re:simpler heater hose set-up on my 14,cleans up a lot of eye sores under the hood,and i hate eye sores,lol.Nothing wrong with the Rev Max kit,both Crazy Kid and i started out with the kit,till we discovered there's a noticably cheaper way to do it,that also gets rid of a lot of excess parts off the side of the transmission.My truck is out of warrenty,so i'm not to worried about having to return it to stock,and spends more time at the dragstrip then it does driving to the corner store,can we say "toy",lol.
Caulks bypass valve is the way to go,if you want ease of returning to stock,the Rev Max kit is old school now that he's developed a simple easy to intall plug that accomplishes basically the same thing as the Rev Max kit

If the RevMax pushes 200 into Canada I can understand that. I do like the idea of less lines, less pressure loss. Not sure I care if the engine bay looks neater but I get it :)

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Makes sense, I know at times I cringe buying certain things because I think they are overpriced but I take into account my time is money as well.

If the RevMax pushes 200 into Canada I can understand that. I do like the idea of less lines, less pressure loss. Not sure I care if the engine bay looks neater but I get it :)

If you read the whole post,you'll have seen Caulks bypass valve.Personally it's a better option then the Rev Max kit,not only is it cheaper,but it's also easier to install or un-install then the Rev Max kit is. If you do buy the Rev Max kit do not try their option 1 or option 2,it'll burn up your 8 speed in short order. The only viable option is option #3,both Crazy Kid and i have let Rev Max know that the first 2 options aren't viable options,but it doesn't appear to matter to them.I even tried leaving 2 reviews warning potential buyers about option 1 and option 2 ,but both reviews never showed up on their site,which makes me question what kind of operation they are. BTW your post is making me wonder if you're tied in with them,you wouldn't happen to be Josh now would you,lol

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you read the whole post,you'll have seen Caulks bypass valve.Personally it's a better option then the Rev Max kit,not only is it cheaper,but it's also easier to install or un-install then the Rev Max kit is. If you do buy the Rev Max kit do not try their option 1 or option 2,it'll burn up your 8 speed in short order. The only viable option is option #3,both Crazy Kid and i have let Rev Max know that the first 2 options aren't viable options,but it doesn't appear to matter to them.I even tried leaving 2 reviews warning potential buyers about option 1 and option 2 ,but both reviews never showed up on their site,which makes me question what kind of operation they are. BTW your post is making me wonder if you're tied in with them,you wouldn't happen to be Josh now would you,lol

ha nope, not him and don't have any affiliation with the company, Matts the name and simplifying installs is the game :)

Just a noob Ram owner and looking to bring down the tranny fluid temp with as little labor as possible.

And yes I agree with RevMax option 3 is the only option. I did see Caulks solution, I may reach out to him.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
ha nope, not him and don't have any affiliation with the company, Matts the name and simplifying installs is the game :)

Just a noob Ram owner and looking to bring down the tranny fluid temp with as little labor as possible.

Get ahold of Caulk for one of his plugs then,it's the easiest /cheapest solution Matt.
Rick

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I had the wifes car out today. Took it up west of Edmonton ,put 390 miles on it today,and today i paid really close attention to it's transmission temps. On the way up i had the cruise set at 125kmh/78mph it took 65 miles before the transmission reached 150F,outdoor temp averaged between 36F and 40F,my destination was 185 miles away,when i reached my destination,the transmission had finally reached 158F. On the way home its all uphill as where i was the elevation was 2,000ft,the elevation on my driveway is 3690ft,so roughly a 1700 foot change.The outdoor temp had increased to an average of 44F,i increased the cruise speed to 132 kmh's/83mph and the transmission never exceeded 168F and there's some pretty decent hills on the way home.Leads me to think the trucks stock operating transmission temps are excessive,just to meet the Cafe/Epa numbers FCA is claiming the trucks will get. Just a little tidbit for the guys who think 190 to 220F are normal operating temps for the 8 speed.
The wifes car is a 2019 6.4 Challenger with the 8 speed and the car turned over 6600 miles on the trip,and i haven't touched the car other then to remove the cats,it's an untuned 6.4

That's what I don't understand. These trucks have a pretty damn good cooling system. Even before my 180 t-stat and tune in my 09. The trans would stay under 200 even sitting in traffic. Why would Ram want to change that and heat the ******* fluid, that makes no sense especially if you live somewhere hot.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have Caulk's value.. Great guy btw.

Where exactly is the thermostat I need to take off and install the valve? Anybody got a pic?

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I don't understand. These trucks have a pretty damn good cooling system. Even before my 180 t-stat and tune in my 09. The trans would stay under 200 even sitting in traffic. Why would Ram want to change that and heat the ******* fluid, that makes no sense especially if you live somewhere hot.

this is exactly why I am going to do something to get the temps down, especially living in FL. Same transmission different application. I would argue that the application in the truck is more extreme due to possibility of towing that it would necessitate cooler fluid temps.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this is exactly why I am going to do something to get the temps down, especially living in FL. Same transmission different application. I would argue that the application in the truck is more extreme due to possibility of towing that it would necessitate cooler fluid temps.
I’m in south Florida. I fully deleted the heater and heater lines. Trucks lifted on 35s. I go off-roading and plan on doing over landing. Trans likes 132° fully warmed. Highest I’ve gotten is 142° after a 0-100 pull.

E2CD925A-6CEE-4D99-9D97-6B026019200A.jpeg

FA23F6EE-EA78-4938-97DD-F3A33B342381.jpeg

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m in south Florida. I fully deleted the heater and heater lines. Trucks lifted on 35s. I go off-roading and plan on doing over landing. Trans likes 132° fully warmed. Highest I’ve gotten is 142° after a 0-100 pull.
Be interesting to see what the tranny temps are like in August.

As a side note, are you like 6'6? How do you get into that without running boards? :)

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be interesting to see what the tranny temps are like in August.

As a side note, are you like 6'6? How do you get into that without running boards? :)
Lmao. 5’9”. however I do have nerf bars but remove them for off-roading and just haven’t put them back on yet. I’ll be making my own sliders soon so I don’t have to worry about taking them off for off-roading.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Where exactly is the thermostat I need to take off and install the valve? Anybody got a pic?

I dont have a picture, but if you are under the truck the thermostat is right above the shift linkage. You will probably have to take the two screws out of the plastic linkage housing to get to the snap ring, which was by far the longest part of my install.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

If you go back through this thread GP,CrazyKid has some pretty decent photo's of where the thermostat is located.A pair of 90 degree internal snap ring pliars will make removing the snap ring a whole lot easier.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Lol. My niece tried to get in my truck. She’s 5’2” and yea... it was funny. Had to help her in and out.

View attachment 240417

You need a tether rope tied to the grab handles ,for us height challenged people,i'm only 5' 8" ,and i'm not sure i'd want to get in and out of it a couple times in a row,lol

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yup, makes no sense.
It gets hot as **** here in Louisiana.. And it's really the humidity not the temp that gets you.

I dont have a picture, but if you are under the truck the thermostat is right above the shift linkage. You will probably have to take the two screws out of the plastic linkage housing to get to the snap ring, which was by far the longest part of my install.

Ok, thanks. Guess I need to get under there and look around.

If you go back through this thread GP,CrazyKid has some pretty decent photo's of where the thermostat is located.A pair of 90 degree internal snap ring pliars will make removing the snap ring a whole lot easier.

Yeah I think the snap ring pilars I have will work. Used them many times for changing fuel pumps in that Gold car in the sig.. hahaah

Last edited: