Rhino line vs line-x

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is their a significant difference in either of these 2 that I should be concerned about. Most what I have read is that it really depends on prep and how it’s applied. Any opinions?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The prep and how it's applied can make a big difference.
One thing you may hear about with the Rhino liner is it's more easily damaged than the LineX, that was with the older cold spray application. The newer hot spray application is same process as LineX and the chemical composition is the same. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
I went with Rhino as I got a better deal on it having my truck undercoated at the same time.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If there isn't a significant cost difference, get the Line-X. It is lifetime guaranteed and has been the best standard for a long time. Even if Rhino has caught up, I would still do Line-X (unless the price difference was cost prohibitive).

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know how to get warranty service on a LineX truck?

Bought truck in WA with dealer installed LineX (option) and now live in SC and need some spots repaired.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know how to get warranty service on a LineX truck?

Bought truck in WA with dealer installed LineX (option) and now live in SC and need some spots repaired.

just take it to any Line X dealer and they should be able to take care of you. That's what the Line X dealer told me when I got my truck done.

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
Tear strengths and fading:

Standard LINE-X - 435 psi, will fade.
LINE-X Premium - 435 psi, won't fade.
LINE-X Platinum - 708 psi, won't fade.
Rhino Tuff Grip - 225 psi, will fade.
Rhino Hardline - 225 psi, will fade.
Rhino Extreme 21-50 - 365 psi, will fade.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
10+ years ago, I would say Line-X without a doubt. Nowadays, Rhino Liner has closed the gap pretty good. On paper, Line-X has the spec and fade resistance numbers. Real world use, only the most extreme abuser would be impacted on the durability difference between the two products.

You will also find that in some regions, the local Line-X dealers will vary wildly on their pricing as many seem to take the customer base for granted. My last two spray in liners have been Rhino and I have been happy with them in all regard and felt it was worth the price paid.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't know much about the liners...at all. But I have Bullet liner and so far I have been very happy with it.

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
my line x came with a warranty paper that they told me to take it to them when i need repairs. They repaired tears but it looks awful, not even close o matching. They are the only dealer around not super happy but its a bedliner it gets used.

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
10+ years ago, I would say Line-X without a doubt. Nowadays, Rhino Liner has closed the gap pretty good. On paper, Line-X has the spec and fade resistance numbers. Real world use, only the most extreme abuser would be impacted on the durability difference between the two products.

You will also find that in some regions, the local Line-X dealers will vary wildly on their pricing as many seem to take the customer base for granted. My last two spray in liners have been Rhino and I have been happy with them in all regard and felt it was worth the price paid.

I glad you're happy with Rhino, but you're assessment is not correct. Rhino has not closed the gap at all. As a matter of fact, Pierre Gagnon (president of Rhino) has taken Rhino a completely different direction. Rhino is trying to enter the industrial coatings world and Rhino bought a concrete company. Generally, Rhino has significantly less to do with the truck industry today. On the other hand, LINE-X is all about the truck industry. They bought Ground Effects Limited (who installs the factory bedliners for Ram, Ford, and Chevy) and they started their own line of truck accessories (Truck Gear by LINE-X).

Regarding the truck bedliner products specifically, Rhino isn't remotely close to the strength and durability of the LINE-X products or even other brands like Bullet (400 psi tear strength). I have many of the technical data sheets from Rhino, LINE-X, and Bullet which you can also get if you ask for them. Rhino are better than they were 20 years ago, but they have yet to bring their products to today's standards.

Bullet is a bit of a mystery. In 2015, Accella bought Burtin Polymer Labs which is mostly a foam business but also has Bullet. Carlisle Companies bought Accella in 2017. Carlisle is not active in the automotive industry, so it's a mystery as to what they will do with Bullet.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I glad you're happy with Rhino, but you're assessment is not correct. Rhino has not closed the gap at all. As a matter of fact, Pierre Gagnon (president of Rhino) has taken Rhino a completely different direction. Rhino is trying to enter the industrial coatings world and Rhino bought a concrete company. Generally, Rhino has significantly less to do with the truck industry today. On the other hand, LINE-X is all about the truck industry. They bought Ground Effects Limited (who installs the factory bedliners for Ram, Ford, and Chevy) and they started their own line of truck accessories (Truck Gear by LINE-X).

Regarding the truck bedliner products specifically, Rhino isn't remotely close to the strength and durability of the LINE-X products or even other brands like Bullet (400 psi tear strength). I have many of the technical data sheets from Rhino, LINE-X, and Bullet which you can also get if you ask for them. Rhino are better than they were 20 years ago, but they have yet to bring their products to today's standards.

Bullet is a bit of a mystery. In 2015, Accella bought Burtin Polymer Labs which is mostly a foam business but also has Bullet. Carlisle Companies bought Accella in 2017. Carlisle is not active in the automotive industry, so it's a mystery as to what they will do with Bullet.

Save the hyper ventilating White Knight Line-X fan boy posturing for someone else. Just stating my opinion on it and even admit the Line-X is a better product over the Rhino Liner.

If you want "wins on the internet", check the box because you got it. If you want to have an adult conversation without grandstanding, then have one.

I still stand by my original opinion concerning Rhino Liner. If priced right, the Rhino Liner is still a decent product "IN MY OPINION" and a value.

Never seizes to amaze me when someone like the OP is wanting input and OPINIONS on a given subject, it has to divulge into a which one is better conversation and sword fight.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, I didn't think "Stage4" sounded like a fanboy or that he was hyperventilating.

Anyways, as someone who has had a truck with BOTH...Id say LineX was better.

I had a truck that was Rhino-lined and had a forklift driver scrape a section off when they were loading bricks into the back of the truck and Rhino wouldn't cover it, I even complained to corporate. Their warranty essentially protects bubbles, peeling, and fading...not an incident where the bedliner protectant doesn't actually protect the bed. I had a LineX guy "repair it."

I even joked with the local LineX guy when I got my Ram done and he said that was absurd, he said that is exactly how you lose customers and how he gains them. My last 2 trucks have been LineX'd and ive beat the crap out of them and they have held up.

Lastly, the Rhino liner seemed more rugged, like it would scrape my arm if I reached for something, LineX was smooth.

So my vote is for LineX even if it is more expensive.

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
Whoa! Looks like I inadvertently raised the temperature. I'm not a LINE-X fanboy or a Rhino fanboy or a fanboy of anything else. But, I do know a bit about the coatings industry and some of the players.

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can also look at Gatorhyde. That is what they used on my truck and I like it. Has a good amount of grip to it. When I put something in the back of the truck it tends to stay in the same spot.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Bullet liner is becoming a pretty common site around my parts. I had it installed about 6 months ago and still early but so far is held up great. A friend has had it a couple years and still looks great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like linex better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Polecat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is their a significant difference in either of these 2 that I should be concerned about. Most what I have read is that it really depends on prep and how it’s applied. Any opinions?

I have a Rhino in my 2015 and it has held up very well. Absolutely no complaints.

Lee DeTro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Line-X on a '98 Dakota sold in '02 (84,000 mi)and a '02 Dakota wrecked Aug 2017 (252,500 mi) very happy with both had a couple repairs done on the '02. If you look you could see where the repairs were done, but it is a truck bed. I now have a 2010 Ram with an ARE Tonneau cover and just did the rustoleum kit. I'm retired and the main thing that goes in the bed is luggage and stuff for traveling. The one thing I've noticed is that the Line X does insulate, temperature stays more consistent when you have a hard Tonneau. Like most of the posts check pricing and dealers and go with the one your most comfortable with. If you are going to put a Tonneau on the back I Highly recommend over the rail application.

crawdad62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Rhino liner way back before I'd ever heard of Line-X and it was great. It was real thick and you just couldn't damage it. It was so thick that it sort of blended in the lines on the bed and made them less pronounced. The next truck they did have Line-X dealers and they looked WAY nicer. Almost like a factory install. And I don't know if this is true but I heard Rhino was bought by Ziebart and the product changed. It faded and people weren't happy with it. I just liked how much nicer it looked.

I did have my Line-X get damaged and took it in. They said it wasn't really large enough to spray it back on so they sort of spot painted it. Looked like crap. Like someone had stuck a gum *** on it to repair it. Worked though so there's that. Unless something has changed I'd go with Line-X.