Ride issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghguy1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey! New to the forums and 1st time Ram owner. Just picked up from a local Ram dealer a 2017 1500 Sport Night with the air ride. 59k miles and everything works as it should.
Had it out for it’s first highway drive and between 60 and 70 notice a light vibration in the steering wheel and in the seat. Truck almost felt like it was skipping or hopping. At lower speeds when you go over “normal” bumps, it feels a little rough. I would have thought the air ride would have softened it a little. Anyway, anyone have any similar issues at highway speed or anything with this year/model/suspension to be concerned about? DCD21484-C564-4705-97B2-E8E0550A1D9B.jpeg

Attachments

• AD14374B-EC6C-4827-9F34-2EE5FE6986C3.jpeg
    AD14374B-EC6C-4827-9F34-2EE5FE6986C3.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 8

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey!....sorry I don't have an answer for you, but "welcome to the forum ".....and nice looking truck!!!
Someone will probably chime in soon.....I've heard others with same problem...

OP
OP
P

pghguy1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks...on both counts! It goes back to the dealer Friday, but we know how reputable dealers are. Wondering if it's a strut issue. Hope to have some ammo when I go back.

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
I may be wrong here….but the side profile pic looks like your truck has more rake to it than what I was expect to see with air suspension.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Driveshaft.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
My 2017 has the four corner air as well. It does smooth out the ride a little bit. Out of curiosity have you started small, like is your tire pressure overly high? Otherwise, the previous posts cover some of the likely offenders.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be a universal joint or a wheel balance issue. A universal joint vibration has the tendency to go away or become much less if you let off the gas. A tire vibration will start at any given speed and will normally stay if you let off the gas until it falls under that certain speed it started at.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Usually, when my truck vibrates/shakes at highway speed (which is somewhat often) It's caused by dirt build-up in the rims; typically from driving on country roads after some rainfall. I would recommend starting there since it doesn't cost anything. While you have the wheels off, have a look and see if you lost a wheel weight or if you have a broken belt/tire out of round.

I'm not ruling out suspension or driveshaft, but from my personal experience, I would start with wheels and tires.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think it should be up to you to have to figure out what is wrong.

Knowledge is power, I get that.

You paid good money. You deserve a good buying experience.

Good luck. Let us know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pghguy1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may be wrong here….but the side profile pic looks like your truck has more rake to it than what I was expect to see with air suspension.

Just the slope on my driveway. LOL. Plus, I think I had it in entry/exit mode.

OP
OP
P

pghguy1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2017 has the four corner air as well. It does smooth out the ride a little bit. Out of curiosity have you started small, like is your tire pressure overly high? Otherwise, the previous posts cover some of the likely offenders.
Yup. Dealer had it at 40. Took it home, chalk test down to 32psi.

OP
OP
P

pghguy1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Usually, when my truck vibrates/shakes at highway speed (which is somewhat often) It's caused by dirt build-up in the rims; typically from driving on country roads after some rainfall. I would recommend starting there since it doesn't cost anything. While you have the wheels off, have a look and see if you lost a wheel weight or if you have a broken belt/tire out of round.

I'm not ruling out suspension or driveshaft, but from my personal experience, I would start with wheels and tires.
Definitely not that. Haven't taken it anywhere yet and had just power washed it. Wheels are looking solid with no obvious bulges either.Thinking (hopin) just balance issue with tires.