Ride Quality 1500 backcountry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sopot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys!
I am new here.
Recently got my first 2022 Ram, Backcoutnry edition with offroad package.
Factory +1''' lift, extra hd shock and springs.
But for me it is too stiff the with out offroad pack.version. I feel every small bump in hole.
I have tested before another Ram with out offroad pack and it was more comfi.
I want to change this extra hd shocks and springs to standard and get standard car high.
My dealer suggests original mopar shocks and springs. Are they ok for my purpose and better then extra hd?
And globally am I on the right way?
Changing exta hd shock an springs, and get car lower to standard high will I get ride more comfy and smooth ?
Will it be enough?

Many thanks!

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
enough for what? If you want it to ride like a standard 1500, putting that suspension on instead of the ORG is an expensive change for not much difference in my view. certainly would make it ride like the standard truck. If ride quality is the ultimate goal, the factory air setup may be more to your liking. I’d say drive several setups and choose carefully to not waste thousands in labor suspension surfing.I have air and off road group, I feel it rides very nicely on and off road ( ok so my off-roading is closer to a lawn than Moab but the mole hills are handled with aplomb)

OP
OP
S

Sopot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just want to try change this extra HD shock an springs to standard.
Will it take a difference?
Will it ride like standard 1500 ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What tires for you have and what size? How are the tires inflated? Make sure they're at the pressure listed on the driver's door sticker. If your not hauling ani you can even lower the rear tires a couple of psi.
I doubt changing the springs will make a huge difference. The shocks maybe but I'd look into aftermarket, probably ones from Fox

OP
OP
S

Sopot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have winter tires Nokian Hakk, 18 size. Pressure is ok.
I have tested before standart 1500 on 20 size wheel with out air suspension, with original parts and it was more smooth than mine.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe try to find someone who is willing to trade suspension with you. If you like the ride of a non off-road package truck that’s up to you. Only you can decide if it’s worth it for you. Maybe try adding some weight to the truck. 200-300 pounds in the front of the bed or some weight in the cab and some weight in the bed. Extra weight will make the ride feel softer. Also the tire specified for the off-road packages are a heavier duty tire as well so that will make the ride feel stiffer. A lighter rated tire will also make the ride feel softer.

OP
OP
S

Sopot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many thanks for your advices.
I had before Falcon hd 18 tires, but I changed them to Nokian because of winter. And basically didn’t see the difference.
I will try to add some weight and will see how it works.
But I found this situation very strange.
How I understand difference between off-road pack and standard is that off-road has extra hd shocks, strings and 1” lift.
I have read many posts than others users just changing shocks get smoother ride than standard.
In my situation I have to change all suspension to get same result.
Maybe will be better to try standard but non original parts? Something like Bilstein?

Last edited:

zrock

Reaction score
The standard 1500 do not ride like a truck and ride smooth like a car and you do not need the air suspension to achieve this.

Now on to you issue do not buy anything mopar to replace you r existing setup you will pay 2x the price for a product you can buy online and get a much better quality.. First off i would start by changing your shocks to Bilstein's those are a high quality shock and will ride much better than the OEM. If that does not soften your ride then i would look at replacing the springs with a 1" aftermarket lift spring from a reputable company. If they put HD springs in it for the lift then those are for load capability and not really the smoothest.. you can keep the height and still get a smooth ride..

OP
OP
S

Sopot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

zrock

Thank you for your advise!
Maybe can you please suggest some good springs ?

Khalifa45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Backcountry
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 2022 Backcountry also and absolutely love the ride it gives me. I find it interesting you don't like it. You certainly don't see many of them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
First off i would start by changing your shocks to Bilstein's those are a high quality shock and will ride much better than the OEM. If that does not soften your ride then i would look at replacing the springs with a 1" aftermarket lift spring from a reputable company.
People change to Bilstein shocks to get away from the soft ride of the OEM shocks. Some describe the ride of a Bilstein shocks able to drive over a quarter and know if it's heads or tails.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The OEM HD shocks are a pretty good shock.
My Outdoorsman (probably the same suspension as the backcountry) rode much firmer than my brothers Big Horn.
I prefer that type of ride.

Tires more than anything will affect the softness of the ride. Michelin Defenders have a very soft sidewall and will absorb a good bit of road harshness.

OP
OP
S

Sopot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys!
Thank you for your advises and opinions!
I decided to change default extra shocks and strings to standard OEM.
Hope I will get a desired result!
Will share with my experience and opinion !

OP
OP
S

Sopot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys!
As promised, I sharing with my result. I changed default extra duty shocks and springs to standard OEM.
Yes, the ride become softer driving over little holes or bumps ,
but I got another headache - now car rides with more "jumping effect".
When I ride on middle quality highway, car '''jumps'' like boat :),
When I ride on street full of holes and bumps, car '''jumps' more faster and it feels much uncomfortable.

I thinking to return extra HD shocks and install them with standard springs.
What do you think?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's easy to change shocks, I would do what you are thinking of - go back to the HD shocks.

Did you just change the parts in the rear or the whole way around?

By "jumps", do you mean skips out sideways a bit or just an up and down motion?

OP
OP
S

Sopot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I changed all parts, rear and front.
"Jumps" like up&down motion.

Guys from service say, one of reason i got this up&down effect because of wheel small size. I have 18 size wheels.
On 20’ the car would be more stable.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 35s on 17” wheels with no bouncing. The actual tire type and tire pressure may be causing the poor ride

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Start with the rear shocks and see what it does and if it helps at all.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Yes, I changed all parts, rear and front.
"Jumps" like up&down motion.

Guys from service say, one of reason i got this up&down effect because of wheel small size. I have 18 size wheels.
On 20’ the car would be more stable.

How much money is this guy making off parts swapping for you? That's 100% not a thing.

Is this your first pickup truck?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963